1990 302 ltd - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
1990 302 ltd

What's the difference in a mustang 302 and 1990 ltd 302? I have a chance to buy one and just wondering what ill have change.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
The cam
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Sweet, I'm swappin that out for a tfs 1 cam any ways. Thanks man!
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Anytime u got a nice 4 eyed btw 85 or 86?
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
86, thanks! It has a 3.8 in it right now but it was only $1000 and ill be tossin the 3.8 soon.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
havhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 127
The intake is reversed and its not a "h.o." so it is less horsepower also.
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Yeah, I got that much from google but I wasn't sure about internals or anything else. ill prob go to a junkyard and pull some gt40p heads and intake off an explorer.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
havhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 127
I got a mildly ported and internally polished explorer intake; upper and lower, spacer and 65mm t.b. for sale if you need.
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by havhammer View Post
I got a mildly ported and internally polished explorer intake; upper and lower, spacer and 65mm t.b. for sale if you need.
I just checked my local pull-a-part and they have 26 explorers. I can get heads for $40 per head and the intake manifold for $80. I kinda want to pull em from the junk yard since this is my first engine build. Just to get a feel for it. Thanks though!
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post

I just checked my local pull-a-part and they have 26 explorers. I can get heads for $40 per head and the intake manifold for $80. I kinda want to pull em from the junk yard since this is my first engine build. Just to get a feel for it. Thanks though!
Might as well get the throttle body off the explorer while your at it.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Is the tb bigger than 65mm?
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post
Is the tb bigger than 65mm?
It is 65mm.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Is it better than the tb on the ltd? Or is the one on the ltd not going to work since its facing the oppisite dirrection?
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post
Is it better than the tb on the ltd? Or is the one on the ltd not going to work since its facing the oppisite dirrection?
The tb on the ltd is either 55 or 60mm
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Gotchya, didn't realize that. Thanks for the tip.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post
Gotchya, didn't realize that. Thanks for the tip.
Also you'll need to pick up a 5.0 mustang tb if you can get one cheap. You'll need the throttle linkage arm off of it to use on the explorer tb.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Itsnt the mustang 5.0 tb 65mm aswell?
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
91notchback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post

Also you'll need to pick up a 5.0 mustang tb if you can get one cheap. You'll need the throttle linkage arm off of it to use on the explorer tb.
And the TPS if I'm correct? I have 2, but the one I'm gonna use came ready to go

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post
Itsnt the mustang 5.0 tb 65mm aswell?
No. It is 60mm.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Gotta spare 70mm MAF too if you're headed that way. Just sayin...
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback View Post

And the TPS if I'm correct? I have 2, but the one I'm gonna use came ready to go

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------



No. It is 60mm.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Gotta spare 70mm MAF too if you're headed that way. Just sayin...
Yes and the tps, forgot to mention that.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
So get the TB from the explorer, but the throttle cable arm and tps. @ notch, Thanks but I'm trying to do a budget build, got laid off a while back and I'm not makin what I used to.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post
So get the TB from the explorer, but the throttle cable arm and tps. @ notch, Thanks but I'm trying to do a budget build, got laid off a while back and I'm not makin what I used to.
I have the complete top end off a 98 explorer on mine and there's a write up in the stickies covering it so if you have any specific questions regarding it just ask.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post

I have the complete top end off a 98 explorer on mine and there's a write up in the stickies covering it so if you have any specific questions regarding it just ask.
Sweet, when I get some down time ill have to go read through it.

The only part I think might be a real challenge is the MAF conversion. My 86 is a 3.8 tbi so I'm not sure how I'm gonna go about that just yet. From what I've read ill have to get an 86 harness, MAF computer and conversion kit then splice some wires. but I'm just taking it one step at a time. Gotta get the engine built and in there before I can even get around to that any ways.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post

Sweet, when I get some down time ill have to go read through it.

The only part I think might be a real challenge is the MAF conversion. My 86 is a 3.8 tbi so I'm not sure how I'm gonna go about that just yet. From what I've read ill have to get an 86 harness, MAF computer and conversion kit then splice some wires. but I'm just taking it one step at a time. Gotta get the engine built and in there before I can even get around to that any ways.
Wow u never see the old v6 4 eyed stangs
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

Wow u never see the old v6 4 eyed stangs
Yeah, I considered keeping it origonal and using it for a DD and getting another one to play with but after driving it a while the engine is worn out. Burns and leaks oil, has a bad cyclinder and tons of other stuff! So I'm going 5.0!!!
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post

Yeah, I considered keeping it origonal and using it for a DD and getting another one to play with but after driving it a while the engine is worn out. Burns and leaks oil, has a bad cyclinder and tons of other stuff! So I'm going 5.0!!!
Yeah good choice
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post

Sweet, when I get some down time ill have to go read through it.

The only part I think might be a real challenge is the MAF conversion. My 86 is a 3.8 tbi so I'm not sure how I'm gonna go about that just yet. From what I've read ill have to get an 86 harness, MAF computer and conversion kit then splice some wires. but I'm just taking it one step at a time. Gotta get the engine built and in there before I can even get around to that any ways.
You'll want at least an 89 harness. That was the first year all 5.0 mustangs had a maf system. 86-88 had speed density ( except 88 California cars).
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
91notchback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post

You'll want at least an 89 harness. That was the first year all 5.0 mustangs had a maf system. 86-88 had speed density ( except 88 California cars).
+5.0. Good luck on youre build bro!!
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post

You'll want at least an 89 harness. That was the first year all 5.0 mustangs had a maf system. 86-88 had speed density ( except 88 California cars).
Will an 89 harness work with an 86 dash harness though? I have no clue that's just what a guy told me. He said get an 86 harness and I would have to get a MAF kit wit the wires to run to the new computer. Havnt looked into it much yet cuz that's a long way down the road.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback View Post

+5.0. Good luck on youre build bro!!
Thanks man! I'm sure ill be on here again for questions from time to time with the build. Fortunately I'm n a fox club and the guys really no their stuff!
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post

Will an 89 harness work with an 86 dash harness though? I have no clue that's just what a guy told me. He said get an 86 harness and I would have to get a MAF kit wit the wires to run to the new computer. Havnt looked into it much yet cuz that's a long way down the road.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------



Thanks man! I'm sure ill be on here again for questions from time to time with the build. Fortunately I'm n a fox club and the guys really no their stuff!
Yes an 89 harness will work, 90-93 will not because of the air bags. Using the 89 will save you time on splicing wires and repinning the 86 ECM harness for maf.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:47 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.