PLEASE HELP! Gas mixed in my oil.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #1

Region: Rhode Island
PLEASE HELP! Gas mixed in my oil....

I am using a Mustang GT 5.0 as a donor car for a Factory Five AC Cobra kit.
I freshened up the engine with bearings and rings about ten years ago when I started the kit. I added a mild cam (I believe the E or B cam, one up from stock) and the stock intake has been replaced by an Explorer intake. I got the project to the go cart stage. It was a frame with a Mustang drive train. It ran and I could drive it. Then my two beautiful daughters came and decided they were more important then my wrenching. I started and ran the car periodically so nothing would seize up.

2013, I can now start to finish the project. The motor was recently pulled for painting …and when the oil was dropped we found a lot of gas in the oil! Like 3-4 quarts. I’m thinking it is a faulty injector, any suggestions? I have a second set of injectors from an Explorer that appear to be a different size.

Is there a way to diagnose the leak? While we are trying to decide if we want bigger injectors and throttle body from the Explorer, are there going to be any computer issues, does it need to be flashed?

And lastly, the brackets and pulleys. (1) we are not going to be using the ac and the air pump so what brackets should we use that would allow us to use the same serpentine belt or will that have to be changed? (2) if we have to use a different bracket for the alt, and if this will change the length of the belt, what is the length we would use?

Thanks any help is deeply appreciated.
JJBroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I can't help u with ur problem but god are those cobras wicked me and my dad built one I love those things
Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Gas in the oil could be a few different issues. If it was a modern motor I would say check the fuel rail pressure sensor. If you want to change injectors you will have to get a maf sensor that matches the injector size but no tune is required.

For the second question you can simply delete the smog pump and ac and not worry about idlers for those locations. A belt will run bypassing both, i've done it before out of necessity. I don't recall the size but I'm sure a quick google search will give you the best options.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
The injectors off the explorer are 19lb injectors. They have a different pintle caps for a better spray pattern.

As far as the fuel it's a possibility that you may have washed the rings out. I would do a compression test to verify or rule it out.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I really want to get this straightened out. any other ideas are very much welcomed.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Are you burning oil? Are you getting spark on all cylinders?
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Gas into the oil pan has to be an injector open. A simple shade tree method for testing is to remove one at a time, hold it over a coffee can, and turn the key to on. If it's stuck open, it will be dumping fuel.

If you have one bad, chances are the rest are near death, so I'd replace all of them anyhow. Cheap insurance for that motor.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Gas into the oil pan has to be an injector open. A simple shade tree method for testing is to remove one at a time, hold it over a coffee can, and turn the key to on. If it's stuck open, it will be dumping fuel.

If you have one bad, chances are the rest are near death, so I'd replace all of them anyhow. Cheap insurance for that motor.
... or he's not getting spark.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #9

Thanks guys, I am getting plenty of spark. Car was in go cart stage and running rich. I will check injectors as bucko suggested.

She is looking good! Just have to iron out little problems.

As mentioned I am using a 2000 Explorer intake and throttle body. I need to hunt down the mass air flow for it, I have the original one from the 1989 Mustang but would imagine the Explorers to be better.

Has anyone here done this? Will my 1989 Mustang computer run the 2000 Explorer parts just fine or do I need to adjust things?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1562[2].jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	97488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1561[1].jpg
Views:	150
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	97489  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1560[1].jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	97490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1555[1].jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	97491  

Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBroc View Post
Thanks guys, I am getting plenty of spark. Car was in go cart stage and running rich. I will check injectors as bucko suggested.

She is looking good! Just have to iron out little problems.

As mentioned I am using a 2000 Explorer intake and throttle body. I need to hunt down the mass air flow for it, I have the original one from the 1989 Mustang but would imagine the Explorers to be better.

Has anyone here done this? Will my 1989 Mustang computer run the 2000 Explorer parts just fine or do I need to adjust things?
It should run them just fine.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT