94 gt losing ignition fire-HELP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #1

Region: Florida
94 gt losing ignition fire-HELP

my 94 gt shuts down after extended run time. no fire. it has a new msd coil, cap, and rotor. it has a new pole pick up in the distributor. i have replaced the module also. after it sits for a half hour or so it will fire right up. i am researching the module controller that bolts to the overflow jug bracket. i need some input before i spend the $205.00 plus tax for this relay module at advanced auto parts. i just recently installed a new cam, cold air induction, under drive pulleys, throttle body, headers, and a new shifter but the car was acting up before and after the new parts.
bhk308
blackhawkkid308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Any I idle issues while it's running?
stevec666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I would say unplug whatever u have pugged into the coil wire negative or positive side happen to me running a pusher fan hate to tell u but under drives are cool but u will not run cool until u learn how to trick ur pic to think he is cool trust me
Rcansawroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #4

94 gt quits

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec666 View Post
Any I idle issues while it's running?
no idle issues
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Sounds like the ignition control module, I know you said you replaced it but I've seen brand new parts come defective.
stevec666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes. The first one I bought from the autoparts was an aftermarket and it was bad. Went and swapped it for a FoMoCo and paid the extra and it worked great. I learned my lesson on ignition parts. Only buy brand.
2L8ULUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Are you charging sufficiently? UD pullied are usually bad news. Improper voltage could cause this.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Are you charging sufficiently? UD pullies are usually bad news. Improper voltage could cause this.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #9

charging system working properly, has over amped alt. nothing hooked up to the coil wires or anything else. i didn't have this problem until i changed the parts. it acts like the coil is shutting down. as soon as it cools down, about 30-45 minutes, it will fire right up and run another 3 days or so.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #10

still quitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkkid308 View Post
charging system working properly, has over amped alt. nothing hooked up to the coil wires or anything else. i didn't have this problem until i changed the parts. it acts like the coil is shutting down. as soon as it cools down, about 30-45 minutes, it will fire right up and run another 3 days or so.
well i took the msd coil back and exchanged it and put the relay control module on it and guess what. it quit again in about the same place as the other 2 times.
what the heck could be wrong with this car? its killing me. i can't even chance it to go out of town to visit my 84 year old dad.
bhk308
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Sounds like u have a short.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #12

94 gt quits

Quote:
well i took the msd coil back and exchanged it and put the relay control module on it and guess what. it quit again in about the same place as the other 2 times.
what the heck could be wrong with this car? its killing me. i can't even chance it to go out of town to visit my 84 year old dad.
bhk308
went and bought a reman distributor at autozone and the car idles better but when you have the spout out to try and set the timing the car won't start.
put the spout back in and it runs. does that mean anything. i am still lost

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote:
my 94 gt shuts down after extended run time. no fire. it has a new msd coil, cap, and rotor. it has a new pole pick up in the distributor. i have replaced the module also. after it sits for a half hour or so it will fire right up. i am researching the module controller that bolts to the overflow jug bracket. i need some input before i spend the $205.00 plus tax for this relay module at advanced auto parts. i just recently installed a new cam, cold air induction, under drive pulleys, throttle body, headers, and a new shifter but the car was acting up before and after the new parts.
bhk308

Quote:
bhk308
went and bought a reman distributor at autozone and the car idles better but when you have the spout out to try and set the timing the car won't start.
put the spout back in and it runs. does that mean anything. i am still lost
Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec666 View Post
Sounds like the ignition control module, I know you said you replaced it but I've seen brand new parts come defective.
Amen to that!! Went through 4 "new" auto-zone distributors before I got one that worked longer than a few days.
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT