Mustang Evolution Forum banner

331 or 347 stroker kit

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  dreamstang 
#1 ·
Hey I pulled apart my old motor an the block looks to be in good shape. so I'm thinking on putting a stroker kit in it an using my edelbrock heads. iv heard the 347 stroker kit has oiling problems an I'm thinking on running FI. probably only 6 psi or so an have heard that the 331 with FI works good.

Any info would be great thanks

#2 ·
The 331 has a better rod to stroke ratio than the 347 which would make it a better choice for a daily driver. As far as forced induction goes i would take it easy with a stock block. 500hp is about the limit of a stock block which wouldnt be too hard to reach with a boosted stroker. I think about 5-6 psi like you mentioned on a 331 would work pretty well aslong as you get a good dyno tune.

#3 ·
keaton5.0 said:
The 331 has a better rod to stroke ratio than the 347 which would make it a better choice for a daily driver. As far as forced induction goes i would take it easy with a stock block. 500hp is about the limit of a stock block which wouldnt be too hard to reach with a boosted stroker. I think about 5-6 psi like you mentioned on a 331 would work pretty well aslong as you get a good dyno tune.
Ye i heard about the rod to stroke ratio is better on the 331 that's why I'm thinking it would be better for boost an just hope the block don't split haha I'm thinking. On getting a 351w so i can put down 550 to 600 rwhp with put splitting the block maybe go with a 408 stroker

#9 ·
Thanks guys probably just going to go with a 351w an I do know all the stock blocks are good for anywhere from 400. Rwhp to 500 iv seen some with a little more then 550 rwhp but it didn't last long my dads old 5.0 had a little over 450 at the wheels on a stock block an it lasted for years but he was probably lucky with that. Haha

#10 ·
I cracked my 331 stock block with 100 shot of nitrous, it had a main support also. But cracked right under the cam bores the 2 middles ones, watch out with boost and high power bc it will split a stock block, they say a mexican block is stronger than a US made 302 block but idk im gonna find out, i found a mexican block and gonna redo my 331 just sum fyi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.