5.0 valve adjustment - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: New Mexico
5.0 valve adjustment

Hi I have a 302 engine in my bronco I have some questions I got my heads and valves done and it's time to put them back on my truck but I don't know how to set the rockers or do the valve lash if anyone has done it befor please let me know how to do it thank u

Mr.5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Illinois
When I rebuilt my heads, I didn't even adjust valve lash, I just torqued the rocker bolts. I haven't had any valvetrain issues at all (yet).

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

But, you move the engine through its compression cycles and at TDC with no pushrod pressure you spin the pushrods and tighten in 1/4 turns until it (pushrod) won't spin.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

I believe.

Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Texas
It depends. Are the rockers stud mount or pedestal mount? Stock 302s are pedestal mount so you would just torque them down to spec (25 ft lbs I believe). Can't quote me on that. You still want to take the pistons to TDC to torque each one. If they are stud mount you take the approach mentioned above, spinning each pushrod till there is tension then continue 1/4 turn and lock down the rocker.
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT