FTI custom cam - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Ok, I will update this thread during install. I recieved my spec sheet finally for my custom ground cam today. This order was many weeks in the making. The first thing I will say is that if you are in a hurry ed curtis isnt your man. He is very busy.

So when I ordered the cam I requested that he try to make it really aggressive/max hp. I told him I dont see many miles a year but would like to be able to still make small trips if possible. He asks alot of questions. I also told him the rpm range that I wohld like.

I still havent recieved my cam yet, but I did finally recieve my spec sheet. Here is his site. A custom grind cost me shipped about 405 $ where as a normal shelf cam runs around 200 $.

If you have any questions feel free.

I am good on the install besides degreeing the cam. Anyone have much experience with this? If you notice the spec sheet says the traditional centerline method wont work. So in english what does thus mean? Lol

I also just noticed that my springs sre only good for .540 lift. So looks like I am gonna have to buy springs. Darn it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-25 16.39.04.png
Views:	156
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	98348  
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Congrats on the purchase! Hopes its a real lopey idle!
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Thanks. If I can fork up enough money for valve springs. Lol I dont have an extra 200 $ right now. Speaking of, I have an offenhauser intake with a holley 550 carb listed in the classifieds. I will eat the shipping cost on these if someone has a set of valve springs for me with locks and retainers to trade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Does anyone know if I have to replace all the hardware on my current springs if I upgraded to tfs higher lift replacement springs? I can get these for 100 to replace the tfs springs that came in my tfs heads. http://www.flowtechinduction.com/tfs...valve-springs/
Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
That's gonna sound mean!!! I think my trickflow stage 1 cam with 1.7 rrs sounds bad a$$ , can't wait to hear your setup!!!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Speaking of, if I have ptv issues anyone one here willing to swap roller rockers? I have the largest and toughest rr you can get just about. I really hope it fits cause I dont wanna get rid of my rr. They are scorpion 1.72. If im not mistaken I think they are the only manufacturer tbat makes that high of a ratio for our motors. They are lifetime warrantied with no questions asked policy. And are rated for 900lbs of spring pressure. Over kill but bad ***. They are lkke pro stock status rr. Lol
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Gotta post a video when u get it installed! Should be some good power. Maybe u don't have ptv issues. Thats got some serious lift. I wish i could help u out with degreeing the cam but i have only installed a couple and they were strait up. Good luck!
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Thanks man. If I do have issues then I will find someone with 1.6 rr and see if they want to trade. That should gain me at least .030 lift. Give or take with doing the math.. I told him specifically that I want to use my current setup with NO modifications so hopefully im good.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Road Trip!

I noticed on my email on my cam sheet that he doesnt want it to be shared. So I erased some of the information on it. I will need help degreeing the cam.it does say that it needs degreed. Hopefully one of you guys know how to use the method he mentions, cauee I sure as hell dont. If it just said where to Install the degree I could handle it but its more complicated than that. But whoever helps me I can send them the sheet for assistance.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I noticed on my email on my cam sheet that he doesnt want it to be shared. So I erased some of the information on it. I will need help degreeing the cam.it does say that it needs degreed. Hopefully one of you guys know how to use the method he mentions, cauee I sure as hell dont. If it just said where to Install the degree I could handle it but its more complicated than that. But whoever helps me I can send them the sheet for assistance.
Yea I don't know to much about degree the cam . That's another reason I went with trickflow stage 1 cam and timing chain all I had to do was match the circle on cam to the triangle on timing chain & lock it in!!! Lol
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post

Yea I don't know to much about degree the cam . That's another reason I went with trickflow stage 1 cam and timing chain all I had to do was match the circle on cam to the triangle on timing chain & lock it in!!! Lol
Lol. I know how to set the degree of the cam. But I dont know how to figure out where it needs to be set at... lol
Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol. I know how to set the degree of the cam. But I dont know how to figure out where it needs to be set at... lol
Ooooooo lol gotcha!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post

Ooooooo lol gotcha!!!!
This is for Lunati cams not the custom cam you have but maybe you can get an idea!

http://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Cams...egreeACam.aspx
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Cool. Thanks for the link!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Road Trip!

This looks to be the centerline method? Someone correct me if im wrong. Essentially you use the degree wheel until the lifter is all the way down each way from tdc. The centerline method which is in the link you would go equal distance each way to make sure its centered. Since my cam is asymmetrical I would have to go each way of tdc the amount of degrees specified on my sheet? Does this sound right?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Just update my cam is in the mail! It will be a while before she fires though. I have some other purchases to make still
Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This looks to be the centerline method? Someone correct me if im wrong. Essentially you use the degree wheel until the lifter is all the way down each way from tdc. The centerline method which is in the link you would go equal distance each way to make sure its centered. Since my cam is asymmetrical I would have to go each way of tdc the amount of degrees specified on my sheet? Does this sound right?
Sounds like that could possibly be right. At least it makes sense by going the certain degree off center like u explained. I know u ready for that cam. Good luck with getting the cam in correctly cause thats money well spent. Lol
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchms View Post

Sounds like that could possibly be right. At least it makes sense by going the certain degree off center like u explained. I know u ready for that cam. Good luck with getting the cam in correctly cause thats money well spent. Lol
Yeah. I did some more researching and that is definitely it. Thanks
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah. I did some more researching and that is definitely it. Thanks
Good deal man!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT