Staggered tires on an 87 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Staggered tires on an 87 GT

I have an 87 GT convertible and I want to upgrade the rims and tires. I'm going to go with 17" aluminum pony's and I want to stagger the tires. Can I fit 10" tires in the rear as is or do I need to make some modifications? I was told that I might need to remove one set of the rear shocks.
Foxbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I had to roll my fender that's in I still have the quad shocks and a 275 tires
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Depending on the rim size you will need lots of backspacing.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbody87 View Post
I have an 87 GT convertible and I want to upgrade the rims and tires. I'm going to go with 17" aluminum pony's and I want to stagger the tires. Can I fit 10" tires in the rear as is or do I need to make some modifications? I was told that I might need to remove one set of the rear shocks.
Dont do it man. I recommend you do what Ford Racing told me to do. Get 17"x9" on all 4 corners Get 245 or 255 tires in front and 275's or a little bigger in the back. Along with some ford racing lowering B springs if it's your daily driver. This will give your car that mean muscle car staggered stance. And this way you wont need to do any other modifications to make the rims and tires fit.

Also just FYI by getting different size tires in the front and back for example 17x9's in front and 17x10's in the back you will not be able to rotate your tires meaning you will get uneven tread wear on all your tires and you will have to replace your tires ALOT sooner. Good luck
94 GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 GT 5.0 View Post

Dont do it man. I recommend you do what Ford Racing told me to do. Get 17"x9" on all 4 corners Get 245 or 255 tires in front and 275's or a little bigger in the back. Along with some ford racing lowering B springs if it's your daily driver. This will give your car that mean muscle car staggered stance. And this way you wont need to do any other modifications to make the rims and tires fit.

Also just FYI by getting different size tires in the front and back for example 17x9's in front and 17x10's in the back you will not be able to rotate your tires meaning you will get uneven tread wear on all your tires and you will have to replace your tires ALOT sooner. Good luck
Even w/ 17X9's all around 245 or 255 front and 275 rear as you suggested can't be rotated thus giving the same tread wear & life expectancy. But you're right about the mods, unless the car is not lowered.
RoCoBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCoBass View Post

Even w/ 17X9's all around 245 or 255 front and 275 rear as you suggested can't be rotated thus giving the same tread wear & life expectancy. But you're right about the mods, unless the car is not lowered.
Maybe but forsure having different size rims will shorten it's tread wear expectancy by ALOT more. Anyway, that's the setup i have on mine and all my tires have even tread wear all around after 10,800 miles. I was told they were rotated but you could be right. Your car your choice though. That's just my opinion.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I put 17X9's on the back of my Fox, and 275's as well. I didnt roll the fender, but I had to reverse the quad shocks and use small spacers. But you shouldnt need any bigger than 9" wide anyways. Btw I actually left the stock 15" pony rims up front. If you want a great rim for the price and quality check out ponyr.com they have 4 and 5 lug rims of most sizes of the pony style and a few others.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
I put 17X9's on the back of my Fox, and 275's as well. I didnt roll the fender, but I had to reverse the quad shocks and use small spacers. But you shouldnt need any bigger than 9" wide anyways. Btw I actually left the stock 15" pony rims up front. If you want a great rim for the price and quality check out ponyr.com they have 4 and 5 lug rims of most sizes of the pony style and a few others.
Niiiice i like that. Does it affect ride quality at all?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
With the quad shocks flipped and the spacers, not one bit. The car is lowered too. But I did research a 275-45-17 compared to the stock 215-65-15. The rotational difference was less than a mph so I figured they would be okay. No problems so far, and they've been on since October.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

I have pictures of the set up in my build thread. Its the project Niterage thread in this section.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Exactly what I was about to type. Definitely the way to go!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Thanks guys. So if I go with 17x9 all around 245 or 255 in front and 275s in rear I won't have to make any mods. It's not my daily driver and I don't want to lower it.
Foxbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbody87 View Post
Thanks guys. So if I go with 17x9 all around 245 or 255 in front and 275s in rear I won't have to make any mods. It's not my daily driver and I don't want to lower it.
You should be fine with that setup.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT