Installing Offroad X pipe on 94 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Installing Offroad X pipe on 94 5.0

Hey everyone. First time poster here, if I'm posting this in the wrong spot let me know haha ><. I just bought a BBK Offroad X pipe for my 94' Cobra and was wondering what it would take to install it myself. My car is bone stock aside from a short shifter

Would I need to cut any of my stock exhaust?
Does the stock exhaust un-bolt from the headers?
Is it recommended that I weld any of it?

Any kind of help would be awesome, as I am still learning about cars and how to work on them. Reason I'm asking for you guy's help is because none of my local exhaust shops can install the X pipe since it has no cats :\

Again any help is appreciated!
94BlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Your gonna wanna get the car off the ground as high as you can. Its basically an unbolt and bolt back up job. The bolts to the headers are kind of tricky. I use an 18" extension but not necessary. The hardest part is dealing with the old frozen bolts..
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome thanks! Do you have any suggestions for dealing with the frozen bolts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Road Trip!

If you have time I would soak them over night in a good penetrating oil. My favorite hands down is
http://www.kanolabs.com/google/
You can't usually find that in stores, it would need purchased online. But if penetrating oil doesn't work then heat. You can get a small propane torch from the local auto store that will/should do the trick. . Oh and save a few curse words just in case required. ..
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome thanks a bunch for all your help! X pipe is supposed to arrive tomorrow night and the weather up here in Seattle is supposed to be awesome this weekend should I should hopefully be able to get it installed!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Cool. If you want post up a video when your done we would love to hear it!
Good luck on your install. If you run into any speed bumps let us know!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No problem I definitely will. I'll do a video right after the X pipe with stock mufflers and after I get my Magnapacks welded as well just for comparison.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you get the front where you place the jack stands 15 inches or so off the ground you'll be fine, I just did this last week, I couldn't get it off on my own do to rust, luckily a shop is less than a block down the street so I pushed it there, they needed a torch and it was still a struggle. (******* broke one of my taillights and charged me 60 dollars)
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Damn thats rough. I'm praying mine won't be stuck on too badly but I feel like they are going to be ><
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94BlackMamba View Post
Damn thats rough. I'm praying mine won't be stuck on too badly but I feel like they are going to be ><
Just keep at it, use as much spray as you want, it still probably will take a while, esp if you've seen any salt this winter. If you start to strip a nut, I'd say stop and get some help, or be prepared to brake a header stud to get it off. Worst comes to worst, take it to a muffler shop and have them take it off, putting it on took me with RUSTED really really rusted studs and liquid wrench + my old nuts (new stainless ones would NOT go on no matter how hard I tried ( correct size)) about 2 hours start to finish by myself.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Cool. If you want post up a video when your done we would love to hear it!
Good luck on your install. If you run into any speed bumps let us know!
+1 on the video. I'm running dumped Magnapacks and an O/R X and I'm curious as to what it sounds like with tail pipes. Although I already know its gonna be loud!!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post

Just keep at it, use as much spray as you want, it still probably will take a while, esp if you've seen any salt this winter. If you start to strip a nut, I'd say stop and get some help, or be prepared to brake a header stud to get it off. Worst comes to worst, take it to a muffler shop and have them take it off, putting it on took me with RUSTED really really rusted studs and liquid wrench + my old nuts (new stainless ones would NOT go on no matter how hard I tried ( correct size)) about 2 hours start to finish by myself.
I had to cut the header studs to get my h-pipe installed because of rust and that was 14 years ago. I recut as close to the header flange as possible then ground down the rest and drilled em out. I was then able to use some grade 8 bolts to install the h-pipe. GOOD LUCK!!!
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys! Thanks for the continued tips and advice! Unfortunately didn't get a chance to install it yet, but will hopefully get it done some time this week. Do you guys know if I would need a tune since it has no cats? It wont run lean will it?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey guys! Thanks for the continued tips and advice! Unfortunately didn't get a chance to install it yet, but will hopefully get it done some time this week. Do you guys know if I would need a tune since it has no cats? It wont run lean will it?
I never tuned my 95gt ever and it ran fine. I would recommend getting it tuned though. Bassani shorties, MAC off road h-pipe, edelbrock performer heads, edelbrock performer rpm intake, e303 cam, 1.6 scorpion roller rockers. Extended push rods (dont remember the size), 65mm TB, BBK CAI, 355 gears.

It's the Black 95 GT with the silver rally stiles in my profile pics.
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post

I never tuned my 95gt ever and it ran fine. I would recommend getting it tuned though. Bassani shorties, MAC off road h-pipe, edelbrock performer heads, edelbrock performer rpm intake, e303 cam, 1.6 scorpion roller rockers. Extended push rods (dont remember the size), 65mm TB, BBK CAI, 355 gears.

It's the Black 95 GT with the silver rally stiles in my profile pics.
Meant to type "stripes" not "stiles"....
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Hey everyone. First time poster here, if I'm posting this in the wrong spot let me know haha ><. I just bought a BBK Offroad X pipe for my 94' Cobra and was wondering what it would take to install it myself. My car is bone stock aside from a short shifter

Would I need to cut any of my stock exhaust?
Does the stock exhaust un-bolt from the headers?
Is it recommended that I weld any of it?

Any kind of help would be awesome, as I am still learning about cars and how to work on them. Reason I'm asking for you guy's help is because none of my local exhaust shops can install the X pipe since it has no cats :\

Again any help is appreciated!
I just went with a off road mac h pipe and Mac shortie headers personally I am a bigger fan of the h pipe sound over the x but to each his own here is a video of the sound http://youtu.be/XoQ7pTAtjj8
badsheep5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

+1 I agree.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys, finally got around to making a video of my car with the Magnapacks on. Work schedueled changed so with that and school i've been busy but here's the vid.

http://youtu.be/qEDHcrboFYA

Just have the Magnapacks welded in, going to install the X pipe this Sunday, will make another video once it's on as well. There's another video when the exhuast was completely stock as well.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey guys, finally got around to making a video of my car with the Magnapacks on. Work schedueled changed so with that and school i've been busy but here's the vid.

Just have the Magnapacks welded in, going to install the X pipe this Sunday, will make another video once it's on as well. There's another video when the exhuast was completely stock as well.
Why you put 96 tail lights in it
Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I personally think they look better, I think they make the car look wider for some reason. Plus my old ones were really faded, hoping to get the kit to make them signal like the new Stangs soon.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

The Sequential lighting is cool and I see what you mean I also think they make it look taller I keeping mine for when I lower it
Old 04-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

See
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2717171311.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	103236  
Old 04-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Nice! I like that comparison photo, gives a good perspective on both. How much are you lowering your car and what springs are you using?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

1 1/2 I think

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

(Thank) and idk yet prob gonna go with something through American muscle
Old 04-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

Sounds great man
FLAT BLACK GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT