What can add HP to my car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What can add HP to my car?

I really wanna upgrade my 94 GT but i dont know what performance parts to consider and how much hp they would add. Any suggestions? Anything would help. Thank you.
94 GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
is ur car stock so far ?

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post
is ur car stock so far ?
Yea the car is bone stock with 90,000 miles on it. It's in automatic as well (i know i know, stick is better, but i bought this car for a steal)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I'm assuming you want more horsepower to go faster, but you should really focus on other areas first, that will improve your ride now and when you add more power. Heads are the place to start for upping your power though, matched with a cam. Turbos can add power in great quantities, but if everything else is stock you can cause more harm than good. I would recommend starting with structural stuff first, you can't imagine how much this will help your stock car move. Then go to power adders. The typical stuff you read works for small power gains though, gt40 heads, explorer intake, cam, exhaust, timing. All of it can add power. What good will adding bigger heads and intake do though if you have the same crappy highway gears in the rear end...take care of gearing, suspension, body roll/ flex issues first, otherwise you aren't getting the most out of your upgrades.
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 GT 5.0
I really wanna upgrade my 94 GT but i dont know what performance parts to consider and how much hp they would add. Any suggestions? Anything would help. Thank you.
Hey check out trick flows top end kits I don't know how much you are willing to spend but that will put you at around 320whp or a little less but if I were you I would put a shift kit in it with a stall converter that's just me tho haha
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Syke View Post
I'm assuming you want more horsepower to go faster, but you should really focus on other areas first, that will improve your ride now and when you add more power. Heads are the place to start for upping your power though, matched with a cam. Turbos can add power in great quantities, but if everything else is stock you can cause more harm than good. I would recommend starting with structural stuff first, you can't imagine how much this will help your stock car move. Then go to power adders. The typical stuff you read works for small power gains though, gt40 heads, explorer intake, cam, exhaust, timing. All of it can add power. What good will adding bigger heads and intake do though if you have the same crappy highway gears in the rear end...take care of gearing, suspension, body roll/ flex issues first, otherwise you aren't getting the most out of your upgrades.
That's a really good idea, i was just so focused on making the car faster that i forgot about the basics. I just bought the koni suspension kit so next is the headers. Any advice on what headers and/or exhaust to look into?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post

Hey check out trick flows top end kits I don't know how much you are willing to spend but that will put you at around 320whp or a little less but if I were you I would put a shift kit in it with a stall converter that's just me tho haha
Yea i looked into the trick flows but it's more than i want to spend on it. But i have been thinking about doing a conversion to stick. Do u know where i can get the conversion kits?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It really depends on what setup you're gonna go with. If you're going forced induction then a good set of long tubes would be good, if not there are plenty of good brands out there for shorty headers to. I would also consider if you are gonna go the budget route like me and many others and look into the GT40p heads, it helps to use the ford Motorsport or other headers that are made for those heads. Just a thought. I personally like to plan ahead that way I only buy parts once that can be used for all the upgrades.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 GT 5.0

Yea i looked into the trick flows but it's more than i want to spend on it. But i have been thinking about doing a conversion to stick. Do u know where i can get the conversion kits?
Just get a t5 with the bellhousing and a flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch and a set of pedals out of a standard an I'm not sure if you need the crossmember for the t5 I think it's different then the autos some one may jump in that knows for sure
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
It really depends on what setup you're gonna go with. If you're going forced induction then a good set of long tubes would be good, if not there are plenty of good brands out there for shorty headers to. I would also consider if you are gonna go the budget route like me and many others and look into the GT40p heads, it helps to use the ford Motorsport or other headers that are made for those heads. Just a thought. I personally like to plan ahead that way I only buy parts once that can be used for all the upgrades.
Are those GT40p's bolt ons?

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post

Just get a t5 with the bellhousing and a flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch and a set of pedals out of a standard an I'm not sure if you need the crossmember for the t5 I think it's different then the autos some one may jump in that knows for sure
Oh ok, i thought i just had to add the conversion kit to the oe tranny. Do i need to change or add anything in the engine?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

A stick conversion won't exactly be cheap... And don't expect much horsepower gain from only doing headers. I don't personally have any automatic experience but a shift kit, stall converter and rear end gear swap sound like a better idea.
Adam302gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The GT40p's are bolt ons. They will eliminate your EGR crossover tube to. You can find them on explorers with the 5.0 v8 from 96-98 I believe, and also the mountaineers. The explorer intake that matches is the same as the now extinct cobra and gt40 tubular intakes, flow number are almost identical. You can pick up a good used set of the heads for about $250-300 and the intake for$10-250.

The T5 conversion can be a pain, it's easy if you have a 5speed donor car, but otherwise I would stick with the other auto parts that others have mentioned for minimal down time and possible headache and money savings.

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

The intake is $100-250
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 GT 5.0 View Post
I think you should start off w/ rear gears. You'll definitely FEEL the difference there. Not adding HP but nevertheless I think you'll enjoy that mod & a good starting point. My 2 cents
RoCoBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Out of the useful info stickies, you might want to browse through it some. There is a lot of good links and info about budget builds, manual swaps and anything else you may need:

Here's some info for those considering doing the budget GT40/GT40p swap.

Heads,
96-early 97 explorer's had gt40 heads with 3 vertical bars on the ends of the heads. They have a 63-66cc combustion chamber with 1.84int./ 1.54exh.

Late 97-2001 explorer's and 97-01 mercury mountaineer's had gt40p heads. These have 4 vertical bars on the ends of the heads along with a revised spark plug angle making header choices limited. They also have a slightly smaller combustion chamber at 58-61cc and a smaller exhaust valve at 1.46 vs 1.54. These changes resulted in better performance over the standard gt40 head.

If you are wanting "P" specific headers there is Ford racing ( M9430P50) and Mac (50158). If not you will have to be a little creative with some 90* boots and some boot sleeves.
GT40P Header Myth

Intakes,
If you intend on keeping you egr system you will want to use the 96-97 1/2 intake,the later intakes do not have the provision for it. Also there is a bung that needs to be drilled out in the #5 runner for the ACT (air charge temp) sensor. Some people have moved the sensor to the upper intake or near the filter.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

I am personally running the Gt40p heads with BBK shorties ( not P head specific), explorer intake, and e303 cam and love it. Very noticeable bump in power and only cost me about $550 to do it all minus gaskets. Even if its your first time to tear into an engine it is a breeze as long as you have a manual to guide you through it.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Listen up bud. Auto is the way to go 100 percent not stick especially if your trying to go fast. Its a tested proven fact and any one with common sense can figure it out that a human will never be able to change gears faster then a computer can. They took two identical corvettes and one standard and one auto and the auto dominated by a whole .4 tenths of a sec now thats a big deal when talking about times. And to answer you question go with an exhaust first that is number one easy and pretty cheap mod. Just mufflers are ok but do a full from the header back you will spend only about $600 for that depending on where you go. Let that 5.0 breathe it needs it not your huge power gain but will give you plenty and again that motor is crying for it to breathe. Next do 4.10 rear gears go with a little taller tire in the rear to give a beautiful stance and to make up for the big gearing. The gearing will go down to the high 3 something with that tire ( just look at the pic of my stang and you will see case closed lol) and hey you can hit that motor with a 125 dry shot and be safe and the place by me has the whole NX kit on sale for only $349.00 i know because i purchased one. You are not going to get the real power you desire at all tho until you do a fully built motor. I have a 347 stroker and will never turn back and mine is a daily driver. All in all headers,save the time and just do a full three inch exhaust now so you wont have to ever redo the exhaust piping again and do your rear gears just from that alone i guarantee you will be happy.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

Quote:

Do not do that bro you will regret that. Go to the track what real car you see putting down times are standard transmissions. They arent they are all auto yea a decent street car is standard but hey you will move alot faster in the auto i put my life on that statement.
OneSlow96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSlow96 View Post

Listen up bud. Auto is the way to go 100 percent not stick especially if your trying to go fast. Its a tested proven fact and any one with common sense can figure it out that a human will never be able to change gears faster then a computer can. They took two identical corvettes and one standard and one auto and the auto dominated by a whole .4 tenths of a sec now thats a big deal when talking about times. And to answer you question go with an exhaust first that is number one easy and pretty cheap mod. Just mufflers are ok but do a full from the header back you will spend only about $600 for that depending on where you go. Let that 5.0 breathe it needs it not your huge power gain but will give you plenty and again that motor is crying for it to breathe. Next do 4.10 rear gears go with a little taller tire in the rear to give a beautiful stance and to make up for the big gearing. The gearing will go down to the high 3 something with that tire ( just look at the pic of my stang and you will see case closed lol) and hey you can hit that motor with a 125 dry shot and be safe and the place by me has the whole NX kit on sale for only $349.00 i know because i purchased one. You are not going to get the real power you desire at all tho until you do a fully built motor. I have a 347 stroker and will never turn back and mine is a daily driver. All in all headers,save the time and just do a full three inch exhaust now so you wont have to ever redo the exhaust piping again and do your rear gears just from that alone i guarantee you will be happy.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

Do not do that bro you will regret that. Go to the track what real car you see putting down times are standard transmissions. They arent they are all auto yea a decent street car is standard but hey you will move alot faster in the auto i put my life on that statement.
Lmao saying he will regret swapping to a stick is just wrong, many people prefer to drive stick..I have 2 buddies 1 with a 99 GT and one with an 07 M3 that both did an auto to manual swap, and said they can never turn back...if you prefer a stick over an auto than do it, if not than stick with the auto, they both have there ups and downs, I just love the feeling of getting on a ramp to my local highway and slamming through gears, great feeling, but also at times in traffic I sit there wishing I had an auto, it's all preference.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSlow96 View Post

A lot of people like to feel in complete control of their car and aren't worried about consistency in a straight line. Also up until recent years the autos have been slower than the manuals stock for stock, especially the aode. Of course they can be built but there is still that lack of enjoyment that comes from banging your own gears.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Everything is preference man, the bottom line is do what makes you happy and what fits in your budget, after all it's your car. I will say pay attention to your gear ratios in either transmission, typically a five speed manual will offset a gear like 4.10's better on the hwy than the auto will just because the 5th gear (OD) in the manual is better for hwy fuel efficiency.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Racing stripes are good for 35+ hp gain!
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Plasti dip anything is an extra 2hp .... Lol no but seriously always think "More Air = More Power" CAI /Tuner, and work on exhaust system ... That's what I'm doing
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
Plasti dip anything is an extra 2hp .... Lol no but seriously always think "More Air = More Power" CAI /Tuner, and work on exhaust system ... That's what I'm doing
CAI=maybe that extra 2hp you was talkin about on a pushrod motor. And it's dyno tune or standalone engine management on these cars, no tuner. Not really worth a tune until you have a good bit of mods on it though.
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback View Post

CAI=maybe that extra 2hp you was talkin about on a pushrod motor. And it's dyno tune or standalone engine management on these cars, no tuner. Not really worth a tune until you have a good bit of mods on it though.
Or an sct 4bank chip with tunes...

Old 04-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It is really hard to help without knowing a price range, other wise we could just say "drop a coyote in it" but I don't think that's what you want to hear.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #25

Region: North Carolina
Lol @ drop a coyote in it!

Tattooed5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed5.0 View Post
Lol @ drop a coyote in it!
Lol i am trading up my stroker motor to do a coyote swap. Cant wait
OneSlow96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT