Switch from premium to regular gas NEED HELP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
Switch from premium to regular gas NEED HELP

I just bought a 95 mustang gt 5.0 the guy I bought it from said he ran premium fuel on it and said it wouldn't run good if I ran unleaded fuel is it okay too change too unleaded fuel when it's been running on premium. Would rather save money. would it mess up my engine or make it run any worse?
Nick Proben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
All gas is unleaded now doesnt matter if its premium or not only difference is the amount of alcohol is the gas which brings the octane up... Dont quote me on that thoe..
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Proben View Post
I just bought a 95 mustang gt 5.0 the guy I bought it from said he ran premium fuel on it and said it wouldn't run good if I ran unleaded fuel is it okay too change too unleaded fuel when it's been running on premium. Would rather save money. would it mess up my engine or make it run any worse?
If you're timing is advanced past the ten degrees stock, it's best to run premium. Set your timing back to 10 and you should be fine.
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

Ok thanks guys much appreciated
Nick Proben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I understand the reason why u want cheaper gas, I just couldnt imagine running such a low grade fuel in my motor.....
Lovely97cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely97cobra View Post
I understand the reason why u want cheaper gas, I just couldnt imagine running such a low grade fuel in my motor.....
+1
Vmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I run premium, but regular is not low grade (if you go to BP, Mobil) at any good gas station, its just got a lower octane rating...
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich
I run premium, but regular is not low grade (if you go to BP, Mobil) at any good gas station, its just got a lower octane rating...
+1 haha all fuel is unleaded now like billymich said just has a lower octane
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post

I agree. But lower octane+advanced timing=detonation...
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I don't know about you but where I live premium is 15-20 cents more per gallon. Fill up is usually what like 12 gallons and once a week if you are DDing and assuming 20 mpg and a not crazy commute.

So if you can't afford the extra $3.40 a week to make your car run better with the timing at 14 degrees... I dunno... You aren't going to save any appreciable amount of money using regular gas, look elsewhere to save money like bagging lunch, quitting smoking, using durex instead of trojan or get rid of the fancy TP for Sam's Club brand.

Or just pay the extra $15/mo for more power for your fun toy. If $15/mo is making or breaking your budget then you should probably sell the stang and get a beater that gets near 40mpg like a Civic or Corolla or Del Sol or something...
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306

I buy leaded (ethyl) gas all the time for my drag bike.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Also helps to get the more name brand gas as well. Usually the cheaper bargain brand places have higher water content in their gas and you'll usually notice better MPG from your name brand.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No just won't run as good.
Bakiebruno5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Here the 93 octain is easily $50-60 more than regular..

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Cents not dollars lmao

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
by me premium is about 20-30 cents extra usually i run plus (89) premium being 91 or 93 depending where you go. i never run regular at least in my stang i never have. its my dd so i get where your coming from as far as saving money but recently i started running premium and i really do see a difference even from plus (89) as far as responding time and mpg maybe its just me though. i realized that what would i be saving per fill up like someone posted above 3-5 bucks? imo i think just stick with it from now on i think im just going to stick with premium maybe plus but ill never go to regular just my 2 cents everyone has their own opinion i just believe the car definitely responds better with higher octane

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Put mid grade in mine n haven't stop since. Unreal how much better the car runs just got a rewards credit card to make up the for the extra money spent.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely97cobra View Post
That sounds so stuck up.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
That sounds so stuck up.
No really would you want a doctor to give you some Radom person blood that you don't know if they have any ads not knowing what in it or would you want to know where you blood have come from that's clean blood just like you mustang you want to give you stang the best clean gas not the low grade bottom of the barrel not know whats in it kinda gas

We only want the best for our mustang by running better gas
Vmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

It's all about the quality if you can afford it. Gas is getting pretty pricy but just can run on regular anymore just don't feel right.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Uh, the regular vs plus vs premium has 0 to do with "low grade" or whatever you think it means, its an octane rating and nothing more than that. Yeah our cars can run better on premium because they are somewhat of a performance motor especially if you bump the timing.

But if a motor is designed to run on regular, it isn't going to run better on premium, it might run worse.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Uh, the regular vs plus vs premium has 0 to do with "low grade" or whatever you think it means, its an octane rating and nothing more than that. Yeah our cars can run better on premium because they are somewhat of a performance motor especially if you bump the timing.

But if a motor is designed to run on regular, it isn't going to run better on premium, it might run worse.
Older motors tend to run better on premium, newer cars have so many electronic controls that it doesn't affect them like older cars. Also when most people refer to low grade they are referring to regular so yeah it has something to do with people's reference to octane. If a car runs worse on premium over regular something is wrong with the car or the has used. Octane is NOT resistance to burning, it is more stable and resists Pre-detonation.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Agreed older cars can run better. However, yes a newer car tuned from the factory for 87 will lose mpg and might not run quite as well with 93 because the timing is designed for 87 and if the computer expects combustion at X time and it happens a split second later with the 93 it'll be off.

And referring to 87 as low grade really is not a correct term... you can get junk old gas at a gas station that buys cheap gas or you could get good gas from a place that buys stuff that is of a higher quality regardless of the octane rating. Then there are the gas stations that put 87 in the plus/premium tanks too and charge you for the 89/93. We have had multiple issues with that in NJ... when I had my HCI Cobra I saved my fuel receipts in the center console just in case because it needed 93 or it was going to have issues from the compression/tune. My 98 is just a PI swap so if I got 87 in there by accident it wouldn't hurt it. I do agree that the PI motors do run a little better on premium but not some like... 2009 Corolla that the owner puts 93 octane in under the illusion it'll get better MPG and more power. It won't.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I run regular but when I take it to the track I run premium
badsheep5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Agreed older cars can run better. However, yes a newer car tuned from the factory for 87 will lose mpg and might not run quite as well with 93 because the timing is designed for 87 and if the computer expects combustion at X time and it happens a split second later with the 93 it'll be off.
That's the common misconception that screws people up. 93 burns just like 87 it just does not pre ignite like 87. Running 87 will mess up a car tuned up for 93, not the other way around.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
They different gas ratings are just to stop detonation so unless you have a high compression ratio theres no need to run premium fuels
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Glad we didnt get off topic lol
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
Glad we didnt get off topic lol
It's not...yet.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
They different gas ratings are just to stop detonation so unless you have a high compression ratio theres no need to run premium fuels
On the street at least with no tune
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Car will run better and your motor will last longer with premium gas. Your fuel system will also thank you... Regardless if you decide to use 93, 89, or somewhere in between, always buy gas at a reputable gas station. Don't buy from the mom and pop station down the street because mom and pop got bought out by Mohamed who just so happened to accidentally leave the water hose on and water magically got in the gas tanks.. Buy from a decent shell, BP, or chevron and you will have a better chance of getting the quality you pay for and deserve.

If I sound bitter it is because i had to rebuild my old cobalt after tests found water in my gas and voided my warranty. I only ever got gas at the place in front of my neighborhood so I know it was there gas... I went all out and had the news and everything on them (this was when gas prices were shooting up like crazy), even tried some legal action but got nowhere. Eventually the owner had to shut down.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah even the Wawa around here got nailed. For anyone not from the northeast that is like a better 7/11 that usually has a gas station attached to it too. They're franchised IIRC so even a big chain can have a shady *** owner. I try to always fill up on the AF base, they test the octane ratings of the gas that goes in the pumps.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah even the Wawa around here got nailed. For anyone not from the northeast that is like a better 7/11 that usually has a gas station attached to it too. They're franchised IIRC so even a big chain can have a shady *** owner. I try to always fill up on the AF base, they test the octane ratings of the gas that goes in the pumps.
That's crazy to hear. WAWA is supposed to be one of the good ones... Sad

I wonder if there is a cheap and easy way to check octane at the pump. I would totally do it if it were not too crazy
Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm sure someone could just make some sort of test strips you can drip gas onto and they turn a color for whatever octane rating it is. I should invent and market it... hmmm...
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Really older cars 60> are better with low octane because the seals where not designed for high octane.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
Really older cars 60> are better with low octane because the seals where not designed for high octane.
This is a good point
Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I have switched between 87 and 91 (no 93 in west tx) and I get around 18-19 mpg with either and I notice no performance change either way
92coupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT