Need help with clutch problem!! Please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
Need help with clutch problem!! Please

We'll I put new clutch in my 95 gt mustang and when I put everything back together it will not engage it is not tight at all either I jacked the car up and I can move the clutch fork by hand I just don't know if I did something wrong when I put the clutch In, please help is there anything I can do to try to test it or figure out what the problem is??? Please help!!!
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
BatmanUriah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Midwest City
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebhuh View Post
We'll I put new clutch in my 95 gt mustang and when I put everything back together it will not engage it is not tight at all either I jacked the car up and I can move the clutch fork by hand I just don't know if I did something wrong when I put the clutch In, please help is there anything I can do to try to test it or figure out what the problem is??? Please help!!!
Is your slave cylinder hooked up? I've never changed a clutch on that car, but if you took it off to change the clutch, maybe you forgot to put it back.
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
No slave cylinder on a 95. Straight cable clutch.

What happens when you push the clutch down? Does it sit on the floor? Or do you feel tension?

You probably need to adjust the cable. Lift up on the clutch pedal to tighten the cable. Unless you have an aftermarket. Them you should be able to adjust the cable from the firewall.
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
We'll I jacked the car up and took the cable off the clutch fork and I can move the clutch fork back and forth, idk if that is good... But when I put it all back together the cable was loose when I hooked it and if I pull up on the pedal the cable comes off it has no tension!!
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebhuh View Post
We'll I jacked the car up and took the cable off the clutch fork and I can move the clutch fork back and forth, idk if that is good... But when I put it all back together the cable was loose when I hooked it and if I pull up on the pedal the cable comes off it has no tension!!
Clutch fork will move with the cable off. That is normal. Take the cable out completely and make sure it's not broke. Check the clutch quadrant under the dash to see if something broke there as well.

If its not either of those you may have to take the trams out again and check the throw out bearing or pressure plate. If the clutch plate was misaligned may cause something like this but it would have been unlikely that you could of matched up the input shaft.

You could shine a flashlight in where the clutch fork is and see if you notice any of the pressure plate teeth depressed.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Did you instal a new throw out bearing with the new clutch? Check to make sure that is not backwards.
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
Yea I put a new throw out bearing in and ok I'm ganna try to check the cable and stick a light In to c if there is any problems thank u all I will let u know if any of this is the problems thank u all!!
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Find anything?
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
Yea I jacked the car up and I couldn't find anything up in there so I unhooked the clutch cable and noticed I could move the fork back and forth..also I could pull back and push up on the fork at the same time and when I push up and down on it it kinda feels like it goes into a groove then I put the cable back on and it worked its still real loose but It did work...and it has a bbk adjustable cable but as far as adjustment goes should I jut try to adjust it on the fork or take it and adjust it somehow???
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3988981897.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	103546
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebhuh View Post
Yea I jacked the car up and I couldn't find anything up in there so I unhooked the clutch cable and noticed I could move the fork back and forth..also I could pull back and push up on the fork at the same time and when I push up and down on it it kinda feels like it goes into a groove then I put the cable back on and it worked its still real loose but It did work...and it has a bbk adjustable cable but as far as adjustment goes should I jut try to adjust it on the fork or take it and adjust it somehow???
You should have two ways to adjust the cable. There should a quadrant under the dash where the cable attaches with teeth. You can move the cable to different teeth for major adjustments and you should have something attached to the firewall that will give you a finer adjustment. Should be like an aluminum housing that can screw in or unscrew to tighten it loosen. Should be able to lock it down after you get it adjusted

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post

You should have two ways to adjust the cable. There should a quadrant under the dash where the cable attaches with teeth. You can move the cable to different teeth for major adjustments and you should have something attached to the firewall that will give you a finer adjustment. Should be like an aluminum housing that can screw in or unscrew to tighten it loosen. Should be able to lock it down after you get it adjusted
Pretty sure you can't adjust it from the fork side.
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
Ok I thought I had it but when I pull down on the clutch fork it grabs but after hitting the clutch about 5 times it pops out of place again any ideas on what the problem could be??? It works fine when I pull the fork down but when it is pushed up it dosent grab...
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebhuh View Post
Ok I thought I had it but when I pull down on the clutch fork it grabs but after hitting the clutch about 5 times it pops out of place again any ideas on what the problem could be??? It works fine when I pull the fork down but when it is pushed up it dosent grab...
The cable pops off from the clutch fork side? Is there a way to fasten the cable to the side of the tranny to keep it from moving? I remember there is a strap that ties it to the inner fender but don't remember if there is another one for the tranny.
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
No the cable stays on, it's just the fork itself. I can push it up and down and when I pull it down it grabs and pushes the clutch in but after about five times hitting the clutch the fork goes back up and will not grab anymore
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebhuh View Post
No the cable stays on, it's just the fork itself. I can push it up and down and when I pull it down it grabs and pushes the clutch in but after about five times hitting the clutch the fork goes back up and will not grab anymore
There is should be a clip on the fork that slides on to a pivot ball. Sounds like maybe the fork is not on it or the clip broke or the pivot ball is messed up. That should be attached to the bell housing.
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
So I'm prolly ganna have to drop the tranny to get to it??
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebhuh View Post
So I'm prolly ganna have to drop the tranny to get to it??
Maybe. The fork may pull out enough to get the clipped part over the pivot ball. You should be able to see if that is the issue with a flashlight like the pic you attached.
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
Thank u Rick I am ganna get me a good light to c if I can see the ball
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Get it worked out?
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #19
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
Not yet I am ganna try to find out this weekend ill let u know thank u
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #20
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
I got off work today an got a inspection mirror and found my problem, the two clips at the top of the fork only one is on the backside of the ball the other is not around the ball I there any way to pop back in place without tranny drop??? Any help thank u!
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Not sure. I would think you may be able to pull the fork out a bit and see if you can get it back in place. Someone else may have to chime in here.
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #22
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zanesvile
Region: Ohio
Posts: 17
We'll thank u Rick I tried to get it with a flat screwdriver and couldn't get it but I am ganna try to bend something so I can get to it ill let u know if I have any luck this weekend!!
Mikebhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
rick9550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 200
Update? Did you end up having to drop the tranny to get the fork back on the pivot ball?
__________________
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:40 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.