Biggest cam? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Biggest cam?

Hey guys lookin to put a big cam in the 5.0, we wanna go big so what's ur recommendations?
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cam is usually the last place to mod on a engine. However what are the cars current list of mods and future list of mods and I will see if I cant point you to a good off the shelf cam for your combo that has the large lift you are looking for. Also I will need to know if the car is auto or manual. If the car is auto I will need to know if it has an aftermarket torque converter and if so what its stall speed is. Please be as specific as possible is list of parts to maximize my ability to help you.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang
Cam is usually the last place to mod on a engine. However what are the cars current list of mods and future list of mods and I will see if I cant point you to a good off the shelf cam for your combo that has the large lift you are looking for.
Alright thanks. We got rocker arms. Cai. . Under drive pulleys. Headers. We want to throw a good cam on there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Auto or manual? Have torque converter? Also do you have any future plans to use boost or nitrous? Also what kind of car is this? is it a fox body or a 94-95 mustang 5.0 because that very much so matters.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Auto or manual? Have torque converter? Also do you have any future plans to use boost or nitrous?
Manual. Maybe boost. And no nitrous
Old 04-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

What year car and its a mustang?

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

I also will need to know what rear gear ratio you have.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Also what rocker arms 1.6 or 1.7 1.72?

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Im going to go ahead and tell you a single profile cam is the way to go since boost is possibly in your future. This means the cam should have the same intake and exhuast lift and durration.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What year car and its a mustang?

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

I also will need to know what rear gear ratio you have.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Also what rocker arms 1.6 or 1.7 1.72?

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Im going to go ahead and tell you a single profile cam is the way to go since boost is possibly in your future. This means the cam should have the same intake and exhuast lift and durration.
1.72 arms. And 3:73 gears. Also a 89 5.0, and I don't think we are going to boost it now
Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You dont think you will boost it ever ? Or you want to buy a different cam again if you do boost it? This does make a difference in my recommendation.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You dont think you will boost it ever ? Or you want to buy a different cam again if you do boost it? This does make a difference in my recommendation.
Yea we for sure now we aren't going to boost it lol
Old 04-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well your heads are the factory E7 heads which have a 65% exhuast output still making a single profile cam the optimum choice. With the 3.73 gears I recommend the B303 cam with .480/.480 profile to maintain driveability. If your trying to make the cam as big as possible becasue of sound and dont care about driveability the largest I would go is the E303 .498/.498 profile.

Remember though big lift doesnt mean big power you are limited by your E7 heads. If you are going to buy aftermarket heads in the future I would recommend doing that first before choosing cam.

If it was my car and I knew I was never going to use boost I would use this cam which is like a B303 with .480 lift but has a little different exhuast durration to help the smallish E7 heads make maximum power.

Steeda #18 Camshaft - Steet/Strip for 1985-1995 Ford Mustang 063-0018
Old 04-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

However if you are going to never upgrade to aftermarket heads your stock cam matched with your 1.72 RR are the best performers as far as 1/4 mile E/T's go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT