exhaust inquiry - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

exhaust inquiry

I'm inquiring about what mid pipe would sound good on my mainly stock 5.0 with cherrybomb turbo mufflers I want to put an x pipe from.bassani on it has anyone had this setup and how does it sound
2010gt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I you're going for sound only, most prefer the deeper sounding h pipe.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010gt500 View Post
I'm inquiring about what mid pipe would sound good on my mainly stock 5.0 with cherrybomb turbo mufflers I want to put an x pipe from.bassani on it has anyone had this setup and how does it sound
Here's mine to give you a idea, HCI with BBK headers Bassani off-road x-pipe and American thunder 40series flowmasters

http://youtu.be/dpRbKI91wOM
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Sounds pretty beast!
stevec666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
I you're going for sound only, most prefer the deeper sounding h pipe.
Agreed, H-pipe gives a off deeper & better sounding growl.
RoCoBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
H-pipe sounds more "grown up" and cleaner, x pipe sounds crackly when you come off the gas and also more obnoxious, I have a x pipe with no cats an flowmaster super 40's and It sounds awesome except it DRONES like crazy on the highway, h pipes don't drone as much, if your car will be used for long trips get the h if you wanna turn heads and annoy old people get the x.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I prefer the H on a pushrod 5.0. Ever look at a prochamber? They sound great with your motor.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Your basic H pipe will be more than fine. X pipes are too raspy IMO. Prochambers are AMAZING but MAC charges too much for them and they really have 0 power gain over an H or X.

Also, cherrybombs are for white trash with mullets in rusted out pickups, plz get a set of proper mufflers before you do anything.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Your basic H pipe will be more than fine. X pipes are too raspy IMO. Prochambers are AMAZING but MAC charges too much for them and they really have 0 power gain over an H or X.

Also, cherrybombs are for white trash with mullets in rusted out pickups, plz get a set of proper mufflers before you do anything.
Agreed*
Old 04-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
H-pipe sounds more "grown up" and cleaner, x pipe sounds crackly when you come off the gas and also more obnoxious, I have a x pipe with no cats an flowmaster super 40's and It sounds awesome except it DRONES like crazy on the highway, h pipes don't drone as much, if your car will be used for long trips get the h if you wanna turn heads and annoy old people get the x.
You tell me if this sounds crackly to you. I hear it so much I wouldn't even notice anymore. Lol exhaust setup is in the description and yes the motor is a little tired. Lol

http://youtu.be/CEblu8y8uOY

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds pretty good to me!

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 AM ----------

Quote:
I've had both x and h and seems the flowmasters drone regardless! Haha. I've got flows on my 86, just really like the sound on the push rod 5.0's. had Borla stingers on my 2010 and they had minimal drone and sounded great when you're laying into it.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post

You tell me if this sounds crackly to you. I hear it so much I wouldn't even notice anymore. Lol exhaust setup is in the description and yes the motor is a little tired. Lol

http://youtu.be/CEblu8y8uOY
I'm not hating on he x pipe I HAVE ONE and I like it better ham h pipe but its not right or every one. I like the crackle and pop when I come off the gas of 4,500rpm's! I would buy another x pipe in a heartbeat!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know what bbk shorties sound like with a x pipe and flowmaster super 40's, is it a lot louder than the stock headers? Was thinking of getting bbk shortie headers cuz I already have a proper x pipe and exhaust kit and it sounds like the 5.0 is still being restricted.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Can someone explain to me what the difference between the H pipe and X pipe is? I want a exhaust for my 13 gt but I don't want ANY drone on the highway. I like loud mustang but only when I open it up.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post
Can someone explain to me what the difference between the H pipe and X pipe is? I want a exhaust for my 13 gt but I don't want ANY drone on the highway. I like loud mustang but only when I open it up.
An x pipe is raspy and crack and pops sounds sick, a h pipe is deeper and no cracking or poping off the gas, droneing has to do with your mufflers not the mid pipe, flowmasters drone borla claims their exhausts don't drone. Glass packs are just annoying! (Get an x)
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's the difference in how the exhaust gasses equalize from side to side. An h pipe has a straight, smaller connecting tube in the center where the exhaust gasses mix from side to side. However, since it's a smaller diameter tube and a 90 degree it's not that efficient as far as gasses mixing, actually tends to slow down the gasses as they enter the 90 bend, so a larger majority goes straight through and never equalizes from side to side. When the exhaust is equalized this is when you make your best power, hence why the x generally makes more peak HP than the h. The x is more efficient because the gasses actually mix and equalize in the x portion before they continue. This gains are more noticeable in higher HP applications but have been proven in lower HP combos to. Usually speaking thought your H will have a deeper tone then your x pipe. Matter of personal preference and application/ goal really.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Headers have a lot to do with it too. Longtubes, a catted or even catless mid pipe and a straight through style muffler like an Ultra Flow, Magnaflow or Borla will have little to no drone.

I had a 91 GT 5.0 with shorties, X pipe, flowmaster 40 series and dumps and I wanted to kill myself after a highway drive, my ears would literally ring. And this is from someone who works around operating jet engines for a living.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Headers have a lot to do with it too. Longtubes, a catted or even catless mid pipe and a straight through style muffler like an Ultra Flow, Magnaflow or Borla will have little to no drone.

I had a 91 GT 5.0 with shorties, X pipe, flowmaster 40 series and dumps and I wanted to kill myself after a highway drive, my ears would literally ring. And this is from someone who works around operating jet engines for a living.
Hahaha! I know the feeling! Though just putting tail pipes on make a difference.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

I'm not hating on he x pipe I HAVE ONE and I like it better ham h pipe but its not right or every one. I like the crackle and pop when I come off the gas of 4,500rpm's! I would buy another x pipe in a heartbeat!
I prefer the x over the h all day, I'm going to have to get an exhaust vid of my 90 soon. It's got an o/r h with flows.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post

I prefer the x over the h all day, I'm going to have to get an exhaust vid of my 90 soon. It's got an o/r h with flows.
I will definitely check it out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT