How do i install 373 gears? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
How do i install 373 gears?

Is it a DIY project or is it hard to do it yourself. I have experience taking rears apart and freshening the up but not shimming gears and putting new posi units in. Can someone who has done it give me the low down. Or if you know of a good online video please help! Thanks for your time. I have asked this before but received vauige answers
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
If you're not sure how to do it? You're better off having somebody who knows how to do it professionally.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Id take it to professional diff shop for gear installs. Just me though. Unless you have experience with differentials I wouldn't recommend to DIY.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Cheaper to diy because shops often overcharge for this, heard it isnt too hard but is a challenge especially with no experience doing so. A lot of ppl on here have done it themselves so hopefully theyll chime in
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ya hear that? Feel free to chime guy's!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I'm positive that it requires special tools and it seems like a hassle in these cars. If you find a local shop that will do it for under 500$, I say go for it. A reliable local shop charged me 300$ and did a great job.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The hardest part is setting the backlash. Gotta have right caliper for that. IMO not really something to try on your own without some guidance. If you can get someone to assist you tht would be best. A buddy and I did a gear change years ago and didn't something wrong which caused the rear end to lock up while goon down the road at 40 mph. Not fun.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
An average performance shop charges 200 for this install, IMO not worth the hassle and possibility of doing the job wrong yourself.
stevec666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec666 View Post
An average performance shop charges 200 for this install, IMO not worth the hassle and possibility of doing the job wrong yourself.
I found a good shop that charged me 2 hours of labor which is right on the money and I agree. However, there are SO many shops that will charge a ****load of money for rear gear installs and I have no idea why. Maybe because they know that this is one of those jobs that almost noone can DIY or maybe they are just ********. I had quotes of $400, $500, and even one of $700 when I was looking for my install on my 95 Cobra I used to have. I literally laughed in the face of the guy who told me $700 and walked right out the door.

This job is one thing I have not done and I am going to learn when and if I decide to change from the 3.73s in my 98 to something else. I'm sure with the right tools and some instructions, I'll have no problem doing it nor should anyone comfortable working on cars IMO.

If you do go to a shop, this job can be done in under 2 hours by a competent mechanic. I might give them 3 hours of labor but that would be the max.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
It's a 4hr job to do it right. The reason shops charge a lot is because most good mechanics can't do it right. If the wear pattern is not shimed right, it will whinnnnnne and overheat. The only specialty tools required are, mag base & dial indicator, and a torque wrench. If you do try it, pick up some extra crush washers from parts store, you will need them. If the wear pattern is not correct the first time, you will have to disassemble and install a new crush washer each time till you get it right. Remember just because a place is a speed shop, doesn't mean they can setup a rear end, research the place. There should be no whine, don't let them tell you that's how 3. 73s sound.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Make sure you get a recalibration tool from am or a tuner to correct inaccurate readings of the odometer and speedometer. Taller gears make the ecu think its going faster than what it truly is so more miles that were never driven and higher mph not reached.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Make sure you get a recalibration tool from am or a tuner to correct inaccurate readings of the odometer and speedometer. Taller gears make the ecu think its going faster than what it truly is so more miles that were never driven and higher mph not reached.
For the SN 95s all you need is a speedo gear for the tranny. Should be a sub $20 part and an easy replacement. Believe it's on the driver side of the tranny. I know latemodelresoration had them. They usually come in different colors to indicate how many teeth are on it. This will get you close enough.
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post
For the SN 95s all you need is a speedo gear for the tranny. Should be a sub $20 part and an easy replacement. Believe it's on the driver side of the tranny. I know latemodelresoration had them. They usually come in different colors to indicate how many teeth are on it. This will get you close enough.
Not with the 8 tooth drive gear in any T-5 after 1989 it won't, not with 3.73s. Plz save me from yet another facepalm on a speedo gear thread by mentioning the white gear, it isn't correct, isn't a Ford mesh (its a Chrysler part) and it isn't even for 3.73s. For a 94/95 car you can get a speedcal to correct for it. For anything earlier with the mechanical speedometer you need to pull the tailshaft and swap drive gears.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I did my own gears not to long ago. First time I ever did them. I even installed used gears. Guess what, no whine or issues...its not that hard. These "special tools" you need cost about $15 from harbor freight. Everyone makes this sound so complicated. I didn't even set the backlash with the dial caliper. I set it by the wear marks in the paint on the ring gear. How do you think its been done for decades. Thats the point of the paint. Dont get discouraged by other people who are scared to something themselves
3stangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT