Gt40 intake!!! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Get the one like adogg which came off an explorer. It has the internal egr passage. Then you need a egr spacer between the t.b. and intake opening. The spacerbis where the egr valve hooks up to the intake. Get the same size spacer as the t.b. your going to use. What t.b. size are you gonna use?
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by havhammer View Post
Get the one like adogg which came off an explorer. It has the internal egr passage. Then you need a egr spacer between the t.b. and intake opening. The spacerbis where the egr valve hooks up to the intake. Get the same size spacer as the t.b. your going to use. What t.b. size are you gonna use?
throttle body will be 70mm.
_MrFoxbody_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Oh ok. I was just checking cuz I have a bbk/edelbrock 65mm t.b. and 65mm egr spacer for sale.
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Uh, a 91 has internal EGR, get the internal EGR one if you want to keep the EGR functional...
Yup, that's what I meant, thanks for the correction Scotty.

---------- Post added at 05:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 AM ----------

But like I referenced ADogg's pictures.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Damn it!!!! Can't wait for school to be over so I can get this intake in the car!!! Iam actually a little nervous about doing the install myself never done any really big engine work before. :/
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg
Damn it!!!! Can't wait for school to be over so I can get this intake in the car!!! Iam actually a little nervous about doing the install myself never done any really big engine work before. :/
Haha its not a really big job you can have the upper off in like 10 mins an the lower in about 15 it's really easy just tag all the vacuum lines an go in to the upper an you will be fine I have had my upper off probly 50 time haha it's so easy make sure you make your time an you won't even have to set the #1 piston at top die
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post

Haha its not a really big job you can have the upper off in like 10 mins an the lower in about 15 it's really easy just tag all the vacuum lines an go in to the upper an you will be fine I have had my upper off probly 50 time haha it's so easy make sure you make your time an you won't even have to set the #1 piston at top die
Yea hopefully every thing will go just fine!! So what are something that are going to be harder to remove and put back on that I should look out for?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by havhammer View Post
Oh ok. I was just checking cuz I have a bbk/edelbrock 65mm t.b. and 65mm egr spacer for sale.
how much? I still haven't made any purchases

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post

Yea hopefully every thing will go just fine!! So what are something that are going to be harder to remove and put back on that I should look out for?
my interest is in this as well, I also have not done any major work on my motor, other than oil change and tune ups.. I'm gonna be pulling my motor and swapping a bunch of bolt ons.
_MrFoxbody_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg

Just mark everything on where it was an you will be fine dont drop anything down the intake runners an keep the lifter valley clean make sure your hands are clean when putting the new gaskets in an you can use gasket maker to hold the new gaskets down well you put the upper an lower on if you need help let me know if not go an try her out after an have some fun haha just make sure you look up the Torque SPECS on them an the lower is done in 3 step I forget the numbers but it's like 22 to 25ft-lbs All said an done an you have to do it in the right Order I don't remember the order but if you google it you will find it
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Also be sure to put in a new thermostat while you have it all apart and save yourself so trouble later on.

Good luck!
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yeah, you'll be fine. Pictures help to. Just remember to take you time as stated earlier.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #47
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post
Just mark everything on where it was an you will be fine dont drop anything down the intake runners an keep the lifter valley clean make sure your hands are clean when putting the new gaskets in an you can use gasket maker to hold the new gaskets down well you put the upper an lower on if you need help let me know if not go an try her out after an have some fun haha just make sure you look up the Torque SPECS on them an the lower is done in 3 step I forget the numbers but it's like 22 to 25ft-lbs All said an done an you have to do it in the right Order I don't remember the order but if you google it you will find it
Holy CRAP make sure you use a torque wrench on this. I heard way too many horror stories of ppl just using "calibrated elbows" or whatever and blowing out the threads. I used an old school dial style torque wrench and it came out perfect.

Also, this is the stuff you need to make correct gaskets that don't leak.

More pics of when I was building my super mega ultra hyper neo budget 302.

Cut off bolts to line up that intake to the heads make it much easier.

Don't forget the sealant around the runners near the water ports.

Much maligned Edelbrock RPM heads look pretty damn good. In hindsight I should have spent the extra $200 for TFS heads but these did ok.

This is what your end gaskets should look like. If you use the cork pieces or even the rubber ones that come in some of the kits... you're an idiot.

Torqued down, there is a torque sequence the Chilton's manual, not sure about the Haynes. Why do they even make Haynes manuals anyway?

After this the upper just plops on top, install bolts and torque that down too. If you've got an exploder upper just buy an EGR spacer like you would for any aftermarket intake where you want to keep the EGR and hook everything back up like you would for your car.

NOTE: There is a sensor bung that you can see on the #5 runner (front left) that is untapped. If I remember correctly (I have not had a fox in 10 years), it is an IAT sensor that is not in the intake on the SN95 cars or the Exploders. You can relocate the sensor to the CAI or just pay a shop a few bucks to drill and tap it for you. This is not something I would try with drill bits and a hand drill although I'm sure someone has with success.. Oh, that bung will not exist on the 2nd gen, non egr Exploder intakes.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

This help from you guys has been great I got a Haynes manual and it shows the torque steps on it. And should I use rtv sealant on the gaskets and the intake like both side or that spray stuff in that pic?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
That IS RTV... just in a compressed can. Also tacks up better and is stronger than the stuff in the tubes. Kind of like the spray cheese of RTV.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT