How to tell if your o2 sensors are bad - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
How to tell if your o2 sensors are bad

Is there any other way to tell if your o2 sensors are bad other than a possible CEL, or checking the OBD1 codes? I read the codes and got a system pass, not a single code thrown for anything. Just trying to figure out the cause of my below average gas milage.

PS: I think my car has MIL eliminators or whatever they are called, that block the CEL. I think my car has them because when I put on my O/R x pipe my check engine didnt come on like I thought it would.
94BlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Your car will run like crap, and you will get terrible gas mileage.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm. My car runs just fine, but i get 15-17 mpg, with 80% of my 60 miles daily being freeway miles, which seems a little bit low for that much freeway driving. I guess i should check the fuel filter and fuel pump? Or would i notice those in the way my car drives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
FYI - 94's do not/would not have MIL eliminators... Only 96 and up I believe. We have only 2 O2 sensors and 96 and up have 4.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Also, could be a lot of things. How long ago have you had basic tune up items... Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. These few things can make a big difference.
Adam302gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam302gt View Post
FYI - 94's do not/would not have MIL eliminators... Only 96 and up I believe. We have only 2 O2 sensors and 96 and up have 4.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Also, could be a lot of things. How long ago have you had basic tune up items... Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. These few things can make a big difference.

Good to know about the MIL's.

I bought the car in January, and the guy showed me a receipt for a Valvoline tune up, and the cap and rotor, along with wires looked brand new. Not 100% on the spark plugs but I'm planning on checking them when I check the compression on the motor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT