what would you do with $1000 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
what would you do with $1000

if you had a foxbody.. and had 1000 dollars to spend on the motor, what would u buy?
_MrFoxbody_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Cams

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
depends on whats already done to the motor?
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
TFS heads. Or a set of bigs and littles.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane- View Post
Yup need mod list

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Depends on what has been done already and what my goal is. If I'm after a clean restored ride the it mostly goes into interior. If I'm looking to have a weekend cruiser/drag strip car, then it's all going to engine mods and maybe some wheels if I can squeak it out.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
Depends on what has been done already and what my goal is. If I'm after a clean restored ride the it mostly goes into interior. If I'm looking to have a weekend cruiser/drag strip car, then it's all going to engine mods and maybe some wheels if I can squeak it out.
engine is bone stock with msd ignition, pullys, cold air intake, and full exhaust.. rear end is posi with 373 gears, along with short shifter and a heavy duty clutch. i posted this to get an idea of where to start with my motor, I've got 1g to spend and wanna get the best bang for my buck

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane- View Post
pullys, cold air intake, msd ignition, full exhaust, posi rear end with 373, short shifter and heavy duty clutch.. I have a grand to spend and would like to have some ideas on what other people would spend it on.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post

Yup need mod list
there's a list of mods now.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Nice, since you have the supporting mods, I would look into a cam and top end (heads and intake).
Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nice, since you have the supporting mods, I would look into a cam and top end (heads and intake).
I was thinking gt40 upper and lower, e303, 70mm tb, w/ cobra gt40 heads.. might be around 1000 exactly.. would there be anything I should get to support these mods? I'm planning on going bigger on the fuel injectors also so the maf will be changed too.. would a newer clutch be necessary? how about aluminum driveshaft and torque box reinforcements because I don't think I'll be making enough hp to worry about that stuff but then again this is my first build so i could be wrong
Old 05-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The heads and intake sound good. If your clutch is fairly new it will be ok for now, but I would look into an upgrade. 24lb injectors with matching MAF, and aluminum drive shaft are good to. Sub frame connectors would be my choice for stiffening.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
I would say ask this guy for how much he wants for his stuff then lol

5.0 parts for sale/trade.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Cams
Cam dont need two like your 4.6
badsheep5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaacker View Post
Cam dont need two like your 4.6
And no, no cam, not on stock heads. The E7s work best with the stock cam and an aftermarket cam will either lose you power or just move the power band without picking up anything.

$1k isn't going to get you a HCI or anything really crazy. Maybe look into some suspension mods to help put power to the ground or update the inerior/exterior if it needs it. If you are dead set on the motor, go pull a set of GT40s and GT40 intake out of an Explorer at a JY, clean them up, new springs/seals/retainers/locks/valve job and have the explorer ported. Also do a DIY grind down of the EGR bumps in the exhaust ports of the heads. Its as simple as taking the right bit and just making them flush, anyone can do it. Throw them in with the stock cam and you won't need a tune and you'll pick up a good 40-50whp.

I know I suggest the GT40 stuff alot, it really IS the best bang for the buck power mod on a 302 motor. Then later on a simple S trim supercharger can make enough power combined with the GT40s to grenade the stock block if you aren't careful and the GT40s give you great off idle/out of boost power and stock driveability with the stock cam.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

And no, no cam, not on stock heads. The E7s work best with the stock cam and an aftermarket cam will either lose you power or just move the power band without picking up anything.

$1k isn't going to get you a HCI or anything really crazy. Maybe look into some suspension mods to help put power to the ground or update the inerior/exterior if it needs it. If you are dead set on the motor, go pull a set of GT40s and GT40 intake out of an Explorer at a JY, clean them up, new springs/seals/retainers/locks/valve job and have the explorer ported. Also do a DIY grind down of the EGR bumps in the exhaust ports of the heads. Its as simple as taking the right bit and just making them flush, anyone can do it. Throw them in with the stock cam and you won't need a tune and you'll pick up a good 40-50whp.

I know I suggest the GT40 stuff alot, it really IS the best bang for the buck power mod on a 302 motor. Then later on a simple S trim supercharger can make enough power combined with the GT40s to grenade the stock block if you aren't careful and the GT40s give you great off idle/out of boost power and stock driveability with the stock cam.
I was thinking gt40 upper and lower w/ 70mm tb and gt40 heads with the e303 cam, then more down the line I'll do subframe connectors, alum driveshaft, upper and lower torque reinforcements, 24lb injectors with the right maf..

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote:
The heads and intake sound good. If your clutch is fairly new it will be ok for now, but I would look into an upgrade. 24lb injectors with matching MAF, and aluminum drive shaft are good to. Sub frame connectors would be my choice for stiffening.
what does it mean when some intakes say they have no egr, which one do I get for my car?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Go with the external EGR, that's what you currently have.

And do some research on the explorer motors.... Only for one or two years the my came with the gt40 heads, the later years were gt40p's. both are great heads especially for the money, but gt40p's may take an extra bit if work due to different spark plug angles. You can tell them apart by looking on the side of the casting.... Gt40s have 3 bars gt40p's have 4. There's a good video on YouTube that shows you how to identify them.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Cams really are a nice upgrade, but you need to tune them.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Wtf is with ppl saying "cams" on a 5.0? There is 1 cam, and an E cam is a TERRIBLE cam to put in these days not to mention you should do a tune when you put an aftermarket cam in. You don't HAVE to but it'll run much better if you do. With the stock cam and the GT40s you don't have to do a $600 tune not to mention you won't have the idle or driveabilty issues of some cams. The stock cam has this bad rap for some reason... it is actually a VERY good cam, if you want a little extra lift/duration slap a set of 1.7 rockers in there and call it a day.

If you are dead set on getting a $100 OTS cam do yourself a favor and at LEAST get a TFS1 or Steeda 19 or something. The letter cams are well over 20 years old at this point and especially the E cam has driveability issues with the 110 LSA.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wtf is with ppl saying "cams" on a 5.0? There is 1 cam, and an E cam is a TERRIBLE cam to put in these days not to mention you should do a tune when you put an aftermarket cam in. You don't HAVE to but it'll run much better if you do. With the stock cam and the GT40s you don't have to do a $600 tune not to mention you won't have the idle or driveabilty issues of some cams. The stock cam has this bad rap for some reason... it is actually a VERY good cam, if you want a little extra lift/duration slap a set of 1.7 rockers in there and call it a day.

If you are dead set on getting a $100 OTS cam do yourself a favor and at LEAST get a TFS1 or Steeda 19 or something. The letter cams are well over 20 years old at this point and especially the E cam has driveability issues with the 110 LSA.
+1 1.7 rockers will give you roughly .473 lift. Explorer heads and intake, 1.7 rollers FTW!!!
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go with the external EGR, that's what you currently have.

And do some research on the explorer motors.... Only for one or two years the my came with the gt40 heads, the later years were gt40p's. both are great heads especially for the money, but gt40p's may take an extra bit if work due to different spark plug angles. You can tell them apart by looking on the side of the casting.... Gt40s have 3 bars gt40p's have 4. There's a good video on YouTube that shows you how to identify them.
the one I'm looking at says it has EGR and ACT sensors. is that what I need?

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Quote:

so would you install a cam or not? I really did want to buy the e303 cam, but if it will give me issues I minus well stay away from.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You need the internal EGR. I've got the same one.... I'll try to take some pictures if you would like a reference. Then a throttle body and matching EGR spacer.

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

Quote:

Guess they're used to the new lingo, I'd like to see someone purchase two and try to out them in!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You need the internal EGR. I've got the same one.... I'll try to take some pictures if you would like a reference. Then a throttle body and matching EGR spacer.

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

Guess they're used to the new lingo, I'd like to see someone purchase two and try to out them in!
there was a guy on here saying I need an external.. lol I'm being thrown all over the place
Old 05-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

I have no drivability issues with my E cam, and its the only one that's smog certified unlike the others you stated. There's a reason that they still make those grinds, because they work and work well. Almost every auto trans has drivability issues with any cam unless they have the appropriate stall.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MrFoxbody_ View Post

so would you install a cam or not? I really did want to buy the e303 cam, but if it will give me issues I minus well stay away from.
No more drivability problems than any other mild cam.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Buy my girlfriend a really nice present of course. So for my birthday I'll get some nice parts for my mustang.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Buy my girlfriend a really nice present of course. So for my birthday I'll get some nice parts for my mustang.
Jewelry will rake up that kind of price quick
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
$1000 I'd wait and save a extra $400-$500 and get some heads!!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94
+1000 drop them e7s for some edelbrocks, trick flows or afrs
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post

I have no drivability issues with my E cam, and its the only one that's smog certified unlike the others you stated. There's a reason that they still make those grinds, because they work and work well. Almost every auto trans has drivability issues with any cam unless they have the appropriate stall.
That's true, it also maters if its degreed and tuned properly as well, have had many friends with the b and e and no problems.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Quote:

there was a guy on here saying I need an external.. lol I'm being thrown all over the place
That was probably me earlier, I miss spoke... Or typed. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
the one I'm looking at says it has EGR and ACT sensors. is that what I need?

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

I would go with the stock cam and 1.72 lifters and call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Some do, some don't as far as driveability issues. I had a friend with a 94 Cobra (with an A9L even) and we could never get it to run right at lower RPMs no matter what. It idled ok, high end was good, like at 1800rpm in parking lots it would buck but it did sound pretty damn good rumbling along at idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
This is where I disagree and have personal experience to back up my opinion (which is just my opinion I know). With that $1k, he can get a set of good GT40s, get them gone through, grind down the EGR bumps, get the matching GT40 intake, have the intake ported, get a set of good used 1.72 rockers and all the gaskets and then do all the work himself to bolt it all on. That will pick him up a solid 40-60whp all together, give him great stock driveability and when he wants more power later all he needs to do is supercharge it. A S trimmed GT40 powered stock bottom end 5.0 will anally rape a HCI or even most 302 based strokers that cost $thousands more. No idea why more ppl just don't do the GT40 thing, bolt on a blower and go.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow

I would go with the stock cam and 1.72 lifters and call it a day.

Some do, some don't as far as driveability issues. I had a friend with a 94 Cobra (with an A9L even) and we could never get it to run right at lower RPMs no matter what. It idled ok, high end was good, like at 1800rpm in parking lots it would buck but it did sound pretty damn good rumbling along at idle.

This is where I disagree and have personal experience to back up my opinion (which is just my opinion I know). With that $1k, he can get a set of good GT40s, get them gone through, grind down the EGR bumps, get the matching GT40 intake, have the intake ported, get a set of good used 1.72 rockers and all the gaskets and then do all the work himself to bolt it all on. That will pick him up a solid 40-60whp all together, give him great stock driveability and when he wants more power later all he needs to do is supercharge it. A S trimmed GT40 powered stock bottom end 5.0 will anally rape a HCI or even most 302 based strokers that cost $thousands more. No idea why more ppl just don't do the GT40 thing, bolt on a blower and go.
The gt40s work great with a blower but if you want more then them gt40 won't cut it for example take a 302 with gt40 head an a s trim an have him run a 302 with afr or trick flow heads an a s trim an then there's a big difference I do now gt40 heads work better then the e7s but there not the best for making some good HP numbers
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post

The gt40s work great with a blower but if you want more then them gt40 won't cut it for example take a 302 with gt40 head an a s trim an have him run a 302 with afr or trick flow heads an a s trim an then there's a big difference I do now gt40 heads work better then the e7s but there not the best for making some good HP numbers
Solid point. I just like the price! My gt40p's will get me by until I can afford the AFR's.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Well i guess ill be different i guess i have a different way of thinking i know you said you engine mods with your 1000 but my way of thinking is why put more power when your car can't handle it id say do suspension upgrades first torque box reinforcing surfaces new upper and lower control arms i say this because no matter what people say lets face it your in a mustang your gonna get on it every now and then and what's the point of doin mods to engine and making more power if a couple months later you got to bring car to junk yard because you wrecked it by ripping the cheese torque boxes out and twisted the body all up then having to spend even more money fixing everything or worst lose the whole car lets face it we all want more power but before adding more power IMO should always update suspension of car to handle the power you plan on having and not the power you plan on making next week but power you plan on making in five or more years so you don't have to do double the work and spend double themoney on same parts later on. Just my opinion

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

I say all that to keep this in mind the fox body mustaang is the worlds most moded car so if you plan on owning it for a while your plans will change over time right now it maybe i want a little bit more power for a clean daily driver in 2 years the same car might be a full on tube chassis drag car so when looking at parts always look ahead at big picture another end result it will save time and money in the long run
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78 View Post
Well i guess ill be different i guess i have a different way of thinking i know you said you engine mods with your 1000 but my way of thinking is why put more power when your car can't handle it id say do suspension upgrades first torque box reinforcing surfaces new upper and lower control arms i say this because no matter what people say lets face it your in a mustang your gonna get on it every now and then and what's the point of doin mods to engine and making more power if a couple months later you got to bring car to junk yard because you wrecked it by ripping the cheese torque boxes out and twisted the body all up then having to spend even more money fixing everything or worst lose the whole car lets face it we all want more power but before adding more power IMO should always update suspension of car to handle the power you plan on having and not the power you plan on making next week but power you plan on making in five or more years so you don't have to do double the work and spend double themoney on same parts later on. Just my opinion

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

I say all that to keep this in mind the fox body mustaang is the worlds most moded car so if you plan on owning it for a while your plans will change over time right now it maybe i want a little bit more power for a clean daily driver in 2 years the same car might be a full on tube chassis drag car so when looking at parts always look ahead at big picture another end result it will save time and money in the long run
That's a good point to! Especially of the drag strip is in the future!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

And just with the suspension mods i did to mine i ran a 14 flat at drag strip with absolutly no engine mods bone stock engine 14 flat with just upgraded suspension

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

And i kinda stress torque box reinforcing because i know several bone stock stangs that busted the rivets out of there torque boxes just from hard launching at red lights and stop signs
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Solid point. I just like the price! My gt40p's will get me by until I can afford the AFR's.

GT40s and a s trim will make enough power to blow up the block. If we are talking off boost power then maybe you might want some better heads but you don't need anymore than the GT40s to make 425-450whp with the blower. At that point you should be looking at a DART block or 351 based build anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT