Do Pulleys Give Horse Power 95 Mustang Gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

Region: California
Do Pulleys Give Horse Power 95 Mustang Gt

I Wanted To Know If Pulleys Do Make A Difference On My Mustang Any One Know
Or It's Not Worth It
Izon5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izon5.0 View Post
I Wanted To Know If Pulleys Do Make A Difference On My Mustang Any One Know
Or It's Not Worth It
My standard answer is to stay away from them. They will give a small bump, but most folx end up with charging and cooling issues. If you're going to buy them, hold on to your stockers. You can usually find them cheap (sometimes free) on craigslist. All my .02 of course.
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #3

Ohkayy Cause I Was Hearing That They Do Help

But Yet Later I Dont Want Problems
Izon5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes. They will give you a small bump in hp and 1/4 mile times. But might lead you to chasing ghosts down the road. If you do try them, find them cheap and don't buy them new.
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
+1
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've had them on my Fox for a few years and I've never had a problem with them at all.
_MrFoxbody_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I had tuning issues with my UD pulleys and the speed shop but stock ones back on and the fixed my issue!!

Issue was was the car was at running temp is started surging and stalling , also my voltage was low
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #8

Just like stated above they will cause charging and cooling issues, I wouldn't recommend them!!
big_mike8385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
I had tuning issues with my UD pulleys and the speed shop but stock ones back on and the fixed my issue!!

Issue was was the car was at running temp is started surging and stalling , also my voltage was low
Damn iPhone auto correct words on me when I'm typing fast, sorry about that!!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Doesn't really add hp just frees up some
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The pullies are a good option but as you might be starting to notice not all brands are created equal. March IMO is the only brand to use on a 5.0 if you try using a UDP set. I did have good luck with BBK's UDP's on my 06GT but thats a different car entirely. Realistic gains are about 6-8 HP.

I will also say that If your looking for easy HP for your 5.0 and dont have many mods then switching to an electric fan will give you power in the same way a set of UDP's would but without the risk of over heating or having voltage issues. To take this to the next level you can delete your smog pump if you do not have to pass emissions in your state. The biggest HP gain you will see from this type of modding though is moving to an electric water pump, you can expect a real 12-16hp gain across the entire rpm band. And of coarse doing all three, or 4 with UDP's, will definatly build more power but my advice is to pick one and move to modding another area of the car that hasnt been moded yet.

If you stack mods on the same system most of the time they are not worth as much power gain as they would be if the other part of the system wasnt already modded, one exception is drivetrain mods as the more weight you remove the more power you will make. Best way to maximize basic bolt on power is to pick one part of the engine/drivetrain spots and do one upgrade to it and spread them out. Once everything has somthing on it moded then you can go back for another pass. Good performance systems to start improving are, Induction, Exaust, Accesory Drag, Ignition, Drivetrain, Transmission, Lighter Wheels/Tires are just a few places to name that are a good place to start. If you have certain performance benchmarks you wish your car to be able to perform then starting with a good plan will save you alot of money in mods in the long run.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Hey diesel stang I don't wanna steal this thread but I would be interested in learning more about this electrical water pump and radiator fan swap if you have the time. Pm me or just post it on here cause Iam sure there are others that want to know. Thank you
Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #13

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
Hey diesel stang I don't wanna steal this thread but I would be interested in learning more about this electrical water pump and radiator fan swap if you have the time. Pm me or just post it on here cause Iam sure there are others that want to know. Thank you
+1
SN95. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The 94-95 already has an electric fan, but not an electric water pump. The older 5.0 had the rad fan driven off the engine. Just thought I would clarify.
Adam302gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

^^ my name is also Adam and I also own a 302 I thought I would just point that out lol
Old 05-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Alright guys heres the deal with the radiator fan. A radiator fan that is driven by the engine causes parasitic drag in the same fashion that your A/C, P/S, Water Pump, Smog Pump (if your car has one), and alternator. These items are called engine accesories, they run off of your crankshaft pulley and reduce engine horse power by way of parasitic drag on your engines crank.

To decribe parasitic drag so you understand what I am talking about I have a simple science experiment for you to try or just think about. If you tie a any kind of a weight to the end of a string and spin it in the air then it is pretty easy. If you try to spin the same weight at the bottom of a swimming pool it will take much more effort to spin. This is an example of parasitic drag.

You can tell if you engines radiator fan is electric or engine driven by looking at your water pump pulley. If the fan has a shaft connected to your water pump pulley you have a engine driven fan which is making your water pump work harder reducing your water pumps life and robbing engine horsepower. And you should be able to guess but I will state it anyway that if your engines fan is not connected, and not suppost to be connected, to the water pump pulley then you have an electric fan. The electric fan can also help with building horsepower by greatly reducing engine compartment tempratures. With this in mind electric fans help EFI engine but are even more benificial on CARB setups thanks to reduced tempratures. This type of mod like all parasitic Accesory and Drivetrain mods you can expect improved fuel econemy. This mod may free up about 3-5hp across your entire RPM range which is a noticable gain on a 300hp car. You might notice about half a MPG fuel econemy improvement depending on how powerful the engine. This mod also helps protect your engine as it will help your radiator cool the engine.

As Adam pointed out FOX4 models already have electric radiator fans.

Electric water pumps are a great power benifit as rather than your motor pushing all your coolant through your engine and radiator it is a small electric motor that mounts in place of your old water pump. Electric water pumps can have a pulley or no pulley. If the electric water pump has a pulley, which will be required to keep your other engine accesories, it spins freely and is not actually carrying the drag of pushing all of your coolant. This is a simple and large gain on most engines and will give an extra 12-16hp depending on if you have stacked accesory mods as I explained earlier in this post. From this mod you will also see a noticable improvement in fuel econemy. Most notice about 1-3 MPG better gas milage ,depending on how power the engine, which easily makes the electric water pump pay for itself should it ever break or become faulty.

In the same line of modding you can also change your thermostat to a cooler running thermostat which will give the engine more power by keeping the engine cool. However if you get too cold of a running thermostat your engine can become stuck in warm up mode which means you will lose power. I forget off hand which degree thermostat is ideal for the 5.0 engine but im sure someone can chime in with that. Note: On diesel engines you raise the thermostat temprature to gain horsepower as diesels like heat due to it helping with their combustion process.

Furthermore this is the way that UDP's make power and yes they work. As UDP's make the water pump and alternator not work as hard. This is what can cause cooling and voltage problems as they are not designed to be run at a lower rotational speed. If you use the electric water pump using UDP's is for the most part a bad idea, obsolete, and a waste of money as theres nothing left to slow down. With UDP's giving a 6-8 RWHP and an electric water pump giving 12-16 RWHP (these are real numbers) the electric water pump is the better performer. While the electric water pump costs more it also gives you better fuel econemy improvement and ensures your engine is indeed cooling properly and not causeing voltage issues.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

^^ thanks man for all that great information I haver read it a couple of times now. Just got a couple of questions. How hard is is to do the swap? How much does an electrical pump go for?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
Alright guys heres the deal with the radiator fan. A radiator fan that is driven by the engine causes parasitic drag in the same fashion that your A/C, P/S, Water Pump, Smog Pump (if your car has one), and alternator. These items are called engine accesories, they run off of your crankshaft pulley and reduce engine horse power by way of parasitic drag on your engines crank.

To decribe parasitic drag so you understand what I am talking about I have a simple science experiment for you to try or just think about. If you tie a any kind of a weight to the end of a string and spin it in the air then it is pretty easy. If you try to spin the same weight at the bottom of a swimming pool it will take much more effort to spin. This is an example of parasitic drag.

You can tell if you engines radiator fan is electric or engine driven by looking at your water pump pulley. If the fan has a shaft connected to your water pump pulley you have a engine driven fan which is making your water pump work harder reducing your water pumps life and robbing engine horsepower. And you should be able to guess but I will state it anyway that if your engines fan is not connected, and not suppost to be connected, to the water pump pulley then you have an electric fan. The electric fan can also help with building horsepower by greatly reducing engine compartment tempratures. With this in mind electric fans help EFI engine but are even more benificial on CARB setups thanks to reduced tempratures. This type of mod like all parasitic Accesory and Drivetrain mods you can expect improved fuel econemy. This mod may free up about 3-5hp across your entire RPM range which is a noticable gain on a 300hp car. You might notice about half a MPG fuel econemy improvement depending on how powerful the engine. This mod also helps protect your engine as it will help your radiator cool the engine.

As Adam pointed out FOX4 models already have electric radiator fans.

Electric water pumps are a great power benifit as rather than your motor pushing all your coolant through your engine and radiator it is a small electric motor that mounts in place of your old water pump. Electric water pumps can have a pulley or no pulley. If the electric water pump has a pulley, which will be required to keep your other engine accesories, it spins freely and is not actually carrying the drag of pushing all of your coolant. This is a simple and large gain on most engines and will give an extra 12-16hp depending on if you have stacked accesory mods as I explained earlier in this post. From this mod you will also see a noticable improvement in fuel econemy. Most notice about 1-3 MPG better gas milage ,depending on how power the engine, which easily makes the electric water pump pay for itself should it ever break or become faulty.

In the same line of modding you can also change your thermostat to a cooler running thermostat which will give the engine more power by keeping the engine cool. However if you get too cold of a running thermostat your engine can become stuck in warm up mode which means you will lose power. I forget off hand which degree thermostat is ideal for the 5.0 engine but im sure someone can chime in with that. Note: On diesel engines you raise the thermostat temprature to gain horsepower as diesels like heat due to it helping with their combustion process.

Furthermore this is the way that UDP's make power and yes they work. As UDP's make the water pump and alternator not work as hard. This is what can cause cooling and voltage problems as they are not designed to be run at a lower rotational speed. If you use the electric water pump using UDP's is for the most part a bad idea, obsolete, and a waste of money as theres nothing left to slow down. With UDP's giving a 6-8 RWHP and an electric water pump giving 12-16 RWHP (these are real numbers) the electric water pump is the better performer. While the electric water pump costs more it also gives you better fuel econemy improvement and ensures your engine is indeed cooling properly and not causeing voltage issues.
The stock thermostat @ 190 degrees. It should not be changed unless you are having cooling problems to begin with; the stock 302 needs to be no lower than 190 degrees for oil and computer reasons.
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

You are correct fox body the computer reasons you speak of is what I was talking about when I said the engine can become stuck in warm up mode. I know this mod works as it works for all the NMRA and NMCA and NHRA guys.. I dont see how you would think our cars are any different. Like I say sometimes.. If the Pros arnt doing it then dont do it, or if they are then do it.

Adogg, installation of an electric water pump is just as easy as bolting on a regular engine driven fuel pump. Meziere is one electric water pump supplier and they have many different pumps to choose from depending on your application. Typical initial cost of their pumps are $400-$500-$600 depending on if your running a supercharged engine or if you need to support more than 650 N/A hp for your 302. Initial cost is high I know but all their pumps come with a 2yr unlimited mile warrenty and are garanteed for 2500-3000 hours of engine operation. Also with that warranty you really do get 1-3MPG improved fuel econemy making the pump pay for itself and you receive a real 12-16rwhp.

Note: Meziere is one of those companies that refer to the 302 as a small block ford engine. So when your looking for a water pump to suit your needs thats where you will find them.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The 91 has a crappy 2G alternator and may have charging issues, may not. My 95 Cobra had the stock alt and a BBK underdrive crank pulley along with a BBK underdrive water pump pulley. Left the alternator pulley alone. This car NEVER had a SINGLE charging issue with the stock 3G alternator and that was powering aftermarket subwoofers too. I did notice a SOTP gain although I did not feel the need to take it to the dyno before and after lol.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I've had them on every 5.0 I've had. No problems.when I put them on my 100% stock 95 cobra at the time I noticed it reved up a bit quicker. Never had a cooling or charging issue. Hp wise I wouldn't say you'd notice unless you were on a dyno to prove or you were bone stock.
Tkcobrasvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

What is it with people on here and not noticing increased performance on a 14 second car? If you cant notice a real 5-8hp difference on a stock car thats under 300rwhp your a crappy driver, no exceptions.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Oops wrong post
LightningR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningR View Post
Not much gain anyways... I have changes everything and almost wish that I had changes nothing. But gears and k&n maybe a chip!!! All cheap easy things maybe a powerdyne
You have 0 idea what you are talking about do you?
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT