Grinding noise? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Grinding noise?

I have started to notice that there is a small grinding noise coming from underneath the car when my rpms are from about 2300-3000, and when I engine break from 3000 rpm down to about 2000 rpm. I have had a throwout bearing that has been making a chirping/squeaking noise for a pretty good amount of time now, and have noticed that the grinding noise is in sync with the throwout bearing ( it begins making the noise as the bearing starts to chirp/squeak faster, ie around 2300+ rpms).

I feel like it is the throwout bearing making the grinding, but I'm not 100% and was wondering if I could get some imput as to what you guys think it might be. Feel free to ask any questions that might help, as I will do my best to answer them!
94BlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I have a similar problem here, I have a quick grind when my engine is not up to temp, from bout 3000 RPM to about 3200 RPM it makes a quick split second grind I can hear EVERYTIME I hit that rpm range on a cold engine, I also have a chirping TOB and have really been thinking that, I've also had what sounds like my Cats clicking or clanking (noise you hear when you turn your warm car off from cats cooling down) but its when I'm driving, not sure if that's my TOB as well or maybe a heat shield or something but too me it really doesn't sound like a heat shield but idk, brought it to a mechanic and they said they could not replicate my problem, pfffft
Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
I have a similar problem here, I have a quick grind when my engine is not up to temp, from bout 3000 RPM to about 3200 RPM it makes a quick split second grind I can hear EVERYTIME I hit that rpm range on a cold engine, I also have a chirping TOB and have really been thinking that, I've also had what sounds like my Cats clicking or clanking (noise you hear when you turn your warm car off from cats cooling down) but its when I'm driving, not sure if that's my TOB as well or maybe a heat shield or something but too me it really doesn't sound like a heat shield but idk, brought it to a mechanic and they said they could not replicate my problem, pfffft
I hate that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Bump
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Definatly not from tear end or driveline???
LightningR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure, seems to be coming from right below me and to the right. It could be a driveline or diff problem, looking for ideas to mention to my shop im taking it to. Im getting my diff rebuilt so if it could be fixed with a rebuild that would be nice. Like I said it is in sync with the noise the throwout bearing makes. This happened after a night of drifting in a nice wet empty parking lot, so i know thats when it happened. Was doing some clutch kicking as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT