my first mustang need advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
my first mustang need advice

ok so I decided to trade my quad for a 91 mustang 5.0 and was given a bunch of receipts for the "work" done to it. Supposedly the car sat for 9 years with a rebuilt 302. car hasn't been registered since 2004 so maybe and its stripped down for paint its a long story, but anyway I finally got it running today. Had to buy a fuel filter, plugs and wires, and a starter solenoid which still dont work???? only starts if i use a screw driver and jump the terminals. he also said something about having the wrong water pump and that it pumps water in reverse? how can i tell if thats correct? The radiator is shot so I need one of those, any advice on a good aftermarket one?
I am also wondering what some good bolt on mods are. I've heard of the underdrive pulleys, worth it? Like to get a good cam make it sound better it has a bbk exhaust shorty headers i guess so says the receipts but the headers do say bbk so...whats a good cam and what support mods do i need with it?
Oh yeah it also came with an extra Cobra HO 5.0 intake, the one on it is just a 5.0 HO, is the cobra one better?
Now it may sound like I am a complete moron and in a way youre right..lol I am very mechanically inclined I can change parts that are broken etc...but as far as what it takes to make an engine better I am clueless really I know the principals but putting it all together to get the best this is my first time with a car so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
I would buy a new coyote Motor and wiring stick in a t56 transmission and call it a day!
LightningR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Yes the cobra intake is better than the stock intake. I would get all the kinks worked out before beginning the performance mods. I would look into getting an upgraded aluminum radiator like a mishimoto or equivalent when you replace it. You might as well put in an electric fan while you are at it. Then you might want to upgrade to a better alternator and wiring like a 130-200 amp. The charging system is important if you plan on installing under drive pulleys and/or an ignition system. Then I would insure that the exhaust is opened up with a good mid pipe and cat back system. Then you might want to look into getting a decent suspension because a bunch of horsepower doesn't mean anything if you can't put it down on the wheels. Do all things to free up wasted horsepower prior to tearing into the motor. Once you have all that completed I would look into a nice to end kit that includes heads,cam ,and intake and everything else you need for it.
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

should I get hood pins with that? LOL Im sorry that sucks hopefully it isn't damaged too badly lightning
Old 05-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
As a first time Fox body owner beware of cracked and failing torque arm boxs. The boxs that hold the control arms on these cars are one of the weak points and a serious issue that needs to be adressed.

For your radiator beware of japanese knock off radiators, they are terrible and a 2 row radiator wont be enough to keep your 5.0 from having cooling issues you will need at least a 3 row radiator. As for the water pump it is possible it is the wrong one and is a reverse rotational water pump, my advise would be to replace it with an electric water pump from Meziere and forget doing aftermarket pulleys. I have alot of information posted on this forum about pulleys vs electric water pumps, if you use the search feature for Meziere, you should be able to find it. Having an electric water pump is a huge power advantage. An electric fan will net you a few horsepower but there are other places to mod first.

A Mac prochamber H pipe with a Flowmaster catback is a good compliment to you BBK shortie headers. This is the exact exhuast system I used to run on my old 93 cobra and it is very cost efficent with awsome sound.

You want that cobra intake manifold installed as soon as possible as you will notice a good gain from it.

As far as cam choice goes I would leave that to a later date and focus on getting a good set of heads first. If you insist on doign a cam right away this one will net you some solid gains without you having to make any other modifications to run it as its considered a OEM replacement cam. It is actually a performance cam and will net you improved performance.
Comps magnum 266HR... COMP Cams: Magnum, 266HR <br> Good OEM Replacement, works w/ Stock Computer & Injectors

Gearing is an important upgrade to mustangs as the most effective bolt on you can get for the money. Assuming your car doesnt already have aftermarkey gears reach for the 3.73 gears if your car is manual, if its an automatic you have to go one gear set higher to acheive the same performance so 4.10 gears are your best option for automatics. A chip or tune of some sort will be required for this to keep your speedometer correct. Do not do these yourself they require profesinal instalation.

Save your money and stay away from CAI tubes unless your buying a C&L or JLT CAI.

With some good lightweight wheels and sticky tires you should have no problems getting your fox body into the 12's with the mods I listed.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
All great suggestions dieselstang. However, for a 91 you just need to get the correct speedo gear for the trans if you install different gears. No tune or chip required to correct the speedometer. Correct me if I'm wrong.
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You are correct as a speedo gear can be used in place of a chip or tune. I also should have said to use a matching size throttle body when you install the Cobra intake.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input and advice...I was going to ask about throttle body size for the cobra intake...what size is it? What heads would you recomend.
The guy told me it has a titanium flywheel? And an aluminum driveshaft which I looked it does...so far most of what he told me looks right.
As far as getting an electric water pump what do I do about the pulley and wiring it up and same with electric fans how do i run the wiring or do i just put them on a toggle switch?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
To be honest , google is your best friend. When I got into my first build , I read article after article on performance parts. The 5.0 motor has no shortage of mod write ups for sure. Good luck with it.
vettekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Because your running shortie exhuast a head with a 65% exhuast to intake output will be your best option. I highly recommend TFS Twisted Wedge heads for anyone looking to buy a competitivly priced aftermarket aluminum head. They are a meaty head and can be left alone or ported to support anywhere betwen 300-1000+ HP. Unported they will be a decent match for your cobra intake. And as long as im not loosing my mind which sometimes I think I am the GT-40/Cobra intake T/B size is 65MM from the factory. However a 70mm will fit, a cheapish BBK 70MM TB is your best option. You could go for an Accufab 70MM but on this particular intake manifold it wont be worth the difference in power to use the higher quality accufab. Two other good TB brands aside from BBK are Edelbrock and Holley but they are all compairable performance its just a matter of how much you want to spend and how it to look.

Note: Before you get too far along with mods at some point fuel injectors and maf will have to be upgraded too get over the 300RWHP mark. To do this I recommend a C&L CAI and MAF calibrated to 24lbs fuel injectors and 24lb fuel injectors.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
I really wasn't kidding about the coyote motor!!! The amount of money your going to spend... 2K heads 1K intake+T.B then you have cam lifters push rods mass air meter injectors spark fuel pumps exhaust omg. I have spent well over 100K. It never ends... Coyote motor any well built trams and your there. There is a plethora of bolt ins for a super foundation... The 302 isn't it unless you go with a 4 bolt main then you may as well go with a 351 and then while your at it go all aluminum. Oh or you could save yourself a lot of time and just go mod or coyote!!!!
LightningR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have spent Thousands of hours playing back and forth which is better, pushrod or modular. I got news for you PUSHROD ***** MODULAR ENGINES IN THE *** WITH THEIR PANTS STILL ON!

Everyone seems to be dumb struck with this "420" hp Coyote engine. Guess what I am not impressed not even the least bit. At this so called power is coming from extra RPM. Guess what? A simple carborated 302 can do better at the same rpm with very minor bolt ons. And to take "420" HP and put it in such a heavy car.. no wonder it only runs High 13's. Pitiful. Am I the only one not impressed?

If your going to spend that kind of money on a motor go get a 427 SOHC CAMMER. Then you can call it a day.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT