Coyote swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Coyote swap?

Hey is there anyone on here doing a coyote swap in a fox iv been thinking about picking up a notch back to do this with in a year or so just getting some info together haha
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Good greif why I ask why?? All that money!!?? But if it really intrests you there is a good tid bit about coyote swaping in a recent 5.O magazine article discusing engine swaps.

Me personaly if I ever wanted to run overhead cams a 427 side oiler would be on my wish list.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It would be neat, but expensive...you can get more power, easier, cheaper...
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 muscle View Post
+1

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 muscle View Post
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Iight thanks guys ye a 408 would be cheaper haha
Old 05-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If you really wana burn up that kinda cash.. 427 SOHC CAMMER!!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Drop a termi motor in one

Old 05-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Id rather have a powerstroke deisel motor over the termi motor.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Give it a few years and you'll start to see low mileage 5.0s out of totaled 2011+ cars for much cheaper and then it will be a badass cost effective swap. Terminator motor will cost you almost as much as the Coyote and then there is still the wiring harness and all that mess to worry about. The Coyotes are AMAZING motors, efficient, smooth, lots of power still lurking in there waiting to be unlocked and easy to slap a blower on and go.

And still, even with buying one new it still is about the same money as a built 351 stroker. Go price out a 351 stroker shortblock or longblock and get back to me on how exactly that is cheaper than the Coyote. With that said I am a fan of leaving the type of motor that came in the car in the car, they are all capable and when you are talking about a serious buildup (not a 5.0 stock block stroker that will blow up at 500whp) it really boils down to "he who has the most money wins". You can have the guy with the nitrous 408 at 700hp vs the modular guy running ported heads on a forged shortblock and 24 psi making 700hp vs the Coyote guy running a Mammoth KB making around 700hp and blah blah blah. Driveline, fuel system, suspension/chassis mods, wheels/tires... not just the motor when you get to the higher power levels.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
Id rather have a powerstroke deisel motor over the termi motor.
Hence your name cummins stang would be aweskme too. Hell any diesel

Old 05-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
In all honesty if you want something you can get easy power out of dont use an OHC, use a pushrod. GM sucks but they know how to make motors

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
In all honesty if you want something you can get easy power out of dont use an OHC, use a pushrod. GM sucks but they know how to make motors
Someone has never driven a built modular. LS1 is not the god motor contrary to popular belief.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I have had 3 modulars. One of which was a 10GT with a 550HP whipple kit among other mods and ran 10's easily. Another of which was a 06GT sprayed 175wet among other mods and was again another 10 second street sweeper. I have also owned a 88LX notch with a 408 that was 9 second capable, also a 93 cobra that was 9.60's proven when I bought it. I have found the pushrods to be king. And no the LS engines arnt king but they are very good.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Why did you find the pushrods were superior? If you are going strictly by track times you have to realize that the S197s are much heavier not to mention the rest of the combo has a lot to do with the times too.

But the statement by the previous poster that you need to use a pushrod to get easy power is completely false. Modulars have come a loooooong way from the dark ages of the late 90s/early 2000s when that was sort of the case. And even then a simple S trim to a PI motor was available almost right away.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No it was based on HP per dollar and versatility of engine function. Simply the more power you can build per dollar means the farther anyone can take that engine. I do agree that like most V8 cars with an aftermarket fallowing it is "easy" power, so by that standard the modular can make easy power. And I understand engine/weight combination setups very well. If youll notice my S197 cars ran wet/roots while my Foxs ran motor/centri. And to further prove my point of it does cost extra money to put a modular in a fox which is not as performance and weight challenged as other mustang bodys. Past that im not going to defend my pushrod is better than modular statement further. I have spent years going back and forth between the two and those are just my findings and im nobody really...
Old 05-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

I was just asking out of curiosity, not to be argumentative lol. Yeah putting a modular in a non modular is a task in itself. Go look at the 94 Cobra to Terminator conversion thread on the Corral. Its a sticky in the 94/95 section. K member, fuel system, lots of wiring, little "gotchas" here and there... yeah...

I will say that if I ever get another pushrod car it will be a 600hp NA 351 stroker build. Those probably are the best bang for the buck performance motors there are for the latemodel Mustang so we are in agreement there. Its just hard here in NJ with the sniffer tests and the fact that if you have an OBD2 car you do not get a sniffer test, just plugged into the computer and as long as no emissions codes you are GTG. I'd have to get another Cobra and get collector insurance (only for "numbered" cars) on it to avoid emissions from a pushrod or get something old enough to where I could register it as a classic which is 25 years or more so... I could go find a 4 eye or 87/88 I suppose...

However I'm going to see if my Teksid block is still within spec and go from there. If it is... Termi pistons and Termi/Coyote rods on the stock forged crank and bang, $800 total forged Teksid shortblock. Crosshatching still looks brand new and the owner claimed only 70k miles on it so we'll see. The big money in the modulars comes from the power adders, the motors themselves are actually cheaper but you give up the cubes.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The extra cubes do make building power easier in certain aspects but also having OHC's makes building power easier in certain aspects so its a tough decision to make.

I beleave I am going to go classic and go for a 89 as they turn 25 next year so this is the last year for their inspection sticker here in texas. After it hits that month cats and smog pump will be gone. Of coarse thats if I get to buy my 7th stang this year and find one I even want, trying hard to get the build on paper and find a good condition fox for realistic money.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

There is an 88 think in near showroom condition that's been for sale for a looong time... probably because the owner wants $12k lol. 20k something miles and 0 mods and garaged its whole life. I won't by buying it but maybe someone will... problem is ANY clean fox like that is starting to get pricey and anything not pricey is going to be beat to hell.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I picked up my 87 LX Hatch HO/T5 for $2K. The engine was unmoded with over 100k miles. Good running order no issues with no squeaking suspension or ugly mods. Cosmeticly it did need the silver paint redone from alot of scratching but wasnt hidious with missing paint spots and chiping. The interior was grey cloth and in typical condition with driver seat sag and faded interior peices with only a few small carpet stain spots. Basicly if I had redone the interior myself, paid to have the engine rebuilt and added a REAL paintjob. I would have been in the $6-7K neiborhood spent and with a car that by gorilla morron standards would have been worth $9K. Of coarse I joined the military before modding the car and had it for one short summer.

I guess I dont expect the car to be perfect but dents, chipped paint, poor mods, and highly abused interior, fugly rims are all a no go. Tons of foxs with these problems flood the local adds and people think they are all worth half of the $12K pricetag the car had when it was brand new. Constant people asking for $6500 and the like because the car has a "cobra" motor because their E7 has a aftermarket intake name plate and fobra wheels or worse with a bad paintjob or dented fenders or a poorly installed aftermarket stereo that sounds like crap when it rattles the car and you know what im talking about, the stuipidity goes on..

Old 05-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I picked up my 87 LX Hatch HO/T5 for $2K. The engine was unmoded with over 100k miles. Good running order no issues with no squeaking suspension or ugly mods. Cosmeticly it did need the silver paint redone from alot of scratching but wasnt hidious with missing paint spots and chiping. The interior was grey cloth and in typical condition with driver seat sag and faded interior peices with only a few small carpet stain spots.

I guess I dont expect the car to be perfect but dents, chipped paint, poor mods, and highly abused interior, fugly rims are all a no go. Tons of foxs with these problems flood the local adds and pepole think they are all worth half of the $12K pricetag the car had when it was brand new. Constant people asking for $6500 and the like because the car has a "cobra" motor because their E7 has a aftermarket intake name plate and fobra wheels or worse with a bad paintjob or dented fenders and the stuipidity goes on..

Lol agreed on the hijack and AGREED x1000 on the ppl with the foxes thinking they are worth $6-$7k. I actually consider going through CL ads for foxbody mustangs a comedic undertaking.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it is definatly a joke but I find it to be a sad one when you are really looking for a car. Im in Dallas so everything it seems has 20"s or chrome windsheild wipers with unpainted body kits. But by magilla gorilla math these kinds of cars are still worth at least 3500!! Come on 3000 is a deal!!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Dirt track mini stock 90 mustang

AWSOME DEAL!!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Haha same around here you see one on there with no floors an there still asking 2500 an there like ye lots of good parts haha ye I'm sure there's 2500 bucks in parts there budd haha
Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I payed 2800 for my need paint and a new drivers seat still but the body was so good I couldn't pass it up there's not to many foxes where I live that don't rust right up I'm in Canada so they salt the roads like crazy an if the cars ever been winter driven you can tell right away an its nice an straight was a good starting ground
Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I was stationed in Ft. Drum NY and I bought a 95 ram up there. Even though it was a no rust flordia truck it turned into a rust bucket after one bad winter in 06 where Drum got 16 feet of snowfall.. I didnt realize the salt and snow would rust bucket the truck in 8 months. So I can apreciate how hard it is for you to find a no rust fox.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang
I was stationed in Ft. Drum NY and I bought a 95 ram up there. Even though it was a no rust flordia truck it turned into a rust bucket after one bad winter in 06 where Drum got 16 feet of snowfall.. I didnt realize the salt and snow would rust bucket the truck in 8 months. So I can apreciate how hard it is for you to find a no rust fox.
Ye but there still out there you can't really drive theses cars in the winter even stock there a hand full so there still a few that didn't get driven in the winter just want big bucks for them haha

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Haha an I could see that with the ram the rams don't last long out here with out undercoating or oil spray
Old 05-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I used to drive my 06GT in the snow up there but not during that 06 winter and it did hold up against the rust beast rather well.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

97 Mustang GT nicely modded

this ones funny, $4K with 163K and "nice mods"
Old 05-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang
I used to drive my 06GT in the snow up there but not during that 06 winter and it did hold up against the rust beast rather well.
Ye the new ones are pretty good it just seems the fox Rust out right where the floor an rockers meet and the frame right beside where the header and the back under the gas tanks an gt's where the side skirt was would rust the rockers out from holding the salt in between the two
Old 05-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I got that new plasti dip fenders mod with the floormat mod with the stage coach seat mod. Clearcoat weight reduction on the back bumper and I baked the headlights in the oven myself to get that "new" smoke look that nobody has.. The gas milage sucks but you can listen to the evening talk show on your way home from work and give any radioman the booming voice of god with the 10 inch sub..

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/3764733091.html
Old 05-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

97 Mustang GT nicely modded

this ones funny, $4K with 163K and "nice mods"[/QUOTE]

Hahaha that's great I love the update just changed the oil an blah blah blah running like a bat out of hell hahaha like ye bud ok...
Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Free car with $4000 oil change!! lol
Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

No way man you got that new $4000 oil change mod?
Old 05-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Free car with $4000 oil change!! lol
hahah ye really haha that one of them oil changes that add HP

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Quote:
No way man you got that new $4000 oil change mod?
hahahahah i hear it makes it faster then any 03/04 cobra could think of being an thats the truth

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Sad thing, there is a ferrari model where the oil change is really $3000.. The engine has to be pulled to change the oil.. Itailian enginering at its best..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« Carb | distributor »