Need help ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Need help ?

Ok so about 3 weeks ago outta the blue my belt started shredding its only about 10 months old on new motor so I bought a new junk belt at autozone and after about 10miles of driving I started hearing this chirping sound so took the belt off Checked the pulleys they seemed fine , checked the belt up against my old belt and the new belt was about a inch 1/4 longer!

So I ordered the same belt that was on there from before which is a Dayco and belt goes on works great a idle but when I rev it the belt pops off my power steering pump pulley!!

Could this pulley be shot or could it be my tensioner ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2164316304.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	108569   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1209783120.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	108570  

WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like the tensioner
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sounds like the belt... Belts strech which is why your old belt was longer than your new belt. Im sure the belt you got from autozone was the proper length. The cherping sound you most likely heard was your water pump responding to the tighter autozone belt, it is a common issue with 5.0 engines for the waterpump to go out after a belt replacement if you let your belts get old and strechy like your original that broke. So the belt you are currently using took the stress off your waterpump which im sure stoped the cherping but the size of your old streched out belt and not proper length which is why its coming off. The fact that your current belt is coming off the PS pulley is just where the longer belt found to come off and I very much so doubt theres anything wrong with the pulley.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well this belt I put on today is the same dayco as my old one , the autozone one was only on the car for a week.

Idk my tensioner is almost 20 years old so I may just replace that and see , can't hurt to change that out anyways!!! I just want to DRIVE it lol !!!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I hear that.. Did a tensioner on my dads powerstroke at one point.. That belt was ripped to shreds and a 9000lb truck is not the vehicle to drive without PS..
Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm doing the tensioner tomorrow after work and if the belt still hops off the PS pulley then what do I do? Change out the PS pulley which the only brand new I can find are the billet aluminum ones that are $83 for the pulley or a different belt?

Now if I measure for a belt how do I do it? Run it through then minus how much for the tensioner?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Well I'm doing the tensioner tomorrow after work and if the belt still hops off the PS pulley then what do I do? Change out the PS pulley which the only brand new I can find are the billet aluminum ones that are $83 for the pulley or a different belt?

Now if I measure for a belt how do I do it? Run it through then minus how much for the tensioner?
Is there any play or backlash is the ps pulley, (i.e. Can you move the pulley from the p.s. Shaft?). It may be a combination of tensioner and bad p.s. shaft.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote:

Cut an old belt and use it like a tape measure. Then, Mark the end with a sharpie. Finally, measure the belt that you marked and you should have a close measurement for a new belt
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

There is front to back play in the PS pulley but not side to side ....
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
There is front to back play in the PS pulley but not side to side ....
Yeah thats the type of play i was refering to, alot of play? because that can cause belt problems such as the one you are having.
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post

Yeah thats the type of play i was refering to, alot of play? because that can cause belt problems such as the one you are having.
It's about a 1/8 inch play
Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Problem fixed !!! Was a bad belt tensioner , like really bad!!! So now has new belt , new tensioner and I put a new idler on !!!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Woot!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« injectors | Ps pump »