gas smell new issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
gas smell new issue

Summer started so I'm running the ac it been over a hundred several days. I'm noticing a raw fuel smell when driving and it runs hotter when it on. My timing is at about 14. Should I back it down with the added drag on the engine. And fuel mpg took a major dive.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It sounds like you may have multiple things going on.

If your MPG took a major dive thats a sign that your ac compresor may be going out. However, you can try and have the AC recharged as freon is actually what lubricates the AC unit and it may reduce some of your A/C drag.

Im guessing that your running Under Drive Pulleys? Even if you have UDP's or not in an effort to keep your engine from overheating it would be wize to make sure that your radiator fluid stays fresh. I forget which parts store has them but you can get test strips that you can use to check the PH level of your radiator fluid with when you do oil changes so you can flush the radiator if necisary. If your radiator fluid is currently good it may be time for you to switch to a cooler running thermostat. I will go back to my books and do some research on what degree thermostat you can run without problem.

As for the fuel smell you may have a leek in your fuel system somewhere and this could also be the contributor to your loss in MPG. See if you cant chase the smell down by inspecting your fuel filter, fuel rails and fuel injector seals.

Note that depending on what modifications you have and how your car is tuned this can cause the exhuast to have a fuel smell, if you think the smell is coming from your exhuast that could mean a few things as well. It could mean you have a bad spark plug, have a cylinder losing compresion, or simply need a better performance tune if you have a few bolt ons.

If you list your current mods it could help with a diagnosis of whats going on. But if I had to bet money your having a fuel issue somewhere that is robbing the engine of power and hurting your MPG and power badly and that the loss of power is making the engine not cool as easily with the possibility you need a radiator flush. For my best guess I would need to know what mods are done.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Mods are bbk long tube headers msd coil. Gt 40 heads. Cold air intake. Performance throttle body. Also the gas smell isn't. Coming from the exhaust. Its in the vents only when the ac is on. And I didn't think about a rad flush. I'll do that today. As for the ac. It does not cause a draw that is noticeable in the idle and its all new freon last week.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Ok so more than likely you can rule out the A/C itself as an issue.

The long tube you are running greatly increase underhood tempratures, I would recommend switching to a lower degree thermostat if a radiator flush does not help with your heat level rising and give you 2-3 more RWHP.

The fuel smell is most likely coming from a leak in your fuel rails or fuel injectors due to aging gaskets or possibly even your fuel line if you have ever bottomed out your car or loaned it to someone who might have. It is also possible that when it recently had the A/C service done they could have messed somthing up if the smell started imediatly after they worked on it. If thats the case and you had a shop work on it I would take the car back and talk to the manager and see if he can help you out at all. If you can find a leak it will explain the smell and a significant loss in MPG. But remember A/C does really drag the engine down in power so a certain 1-2 MPG loss is expected when your constantly running A/C.

If the loss in MPG annoys you an electric water pump or aluminum driveshaft could be the answer to help improve some of your gas milage. The electric water pump would be more money but will give you a healthy power gain, better than under drive pulleys, and could possibly help your heating issue if it persists. Either mod you can expect a .2-.3 1/4 mile E/T improvement and improved MPG. The electric pump is worth a real 12-16RWHP and the driveshaft you would notice 6-8RWHP increase but will also provide more power to the wheels the more power you add to your engine. Expect 1-3 MPG improvment with the driveshaft and 2-3 MPG for the E-Pump. Both mods will pay for themselves over time from the improved gas milage.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Temp appears to be under control now rad flush worked. I'll be sure at the end of the week. I added oil to the ac compressor that helped a bit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT