F.150 5.0 motor and 5.0 mustang motor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
F.150 5.0 motor and 5.0 mustang motor

I am looking for a 5.0 motor for my 68 mustang. I found a 5.0 ford f.150 motor and was wondering if there was a difference and if it would just drop in like the 87-93 mustang ones would.
Bpolley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Will drop right in
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Stock 302w blocks all share the same engine mount locations reguardless of year. Just FYI that F150 lower intake manifold will work with a stock mustang upper intake manifold.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief View Post
Will drop right in
Is it the exact same motor or does it have less horsepower and more torque?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The difference in power level is in the intake manifold but otherwize the engines are identical year to year. In the late 80's before all the aftermarket intakes guys were using the F150 lower manifold with the mustang upper. This setup is compairable in power numbers to a Cobra/GT40 intake setup.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
The difference in power level is in the intake manifold but otherwize the engines are identical year to year. In the late 80's before all the aftermarket intakes guys were using the F150 lower manifold with the mustang upper. This setup is compairable in power numbers to a Cobra/GT40 intake setup.
Ok. Well thanks!!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
Sorry. I asked the wrong thing earlier. Would this be a roller motor. And if so how can you tell from the outside
Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpolley11

Sorry. I asked the wrong thing earlier. Would this be a roller motor. And if so how can you tell from the outside
Not sure how to tell form the outside but some one may jump in but I maybe abel to tell you basted on the year ? What year is it? I think the 92 an up are rollers for the f150 5.0 but I'm not a 100% on that someone should jump in knowing when they switch over but even if it isn't you can swap a HO cam over. I like rollers over flat tappet I probably won't ever build a flat tappet motor just my 2 cents haha
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If it was me an the motor was out I'd just pull the lower intake off an find out haha non HO 5.0 have a different firing order then the HO do so you can tell by that to...a HO # 1 piston is on the left closest to the front when looking at the motor from the front of the car or the front of the motor not sure what the non HO is but you can find both firing orders on google to see what one you have
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
all #1 pistons are the left/front, it all depends on when the dist turns to fire said piston.

the 302 trucks got the goofy intake with the TB either facing forward or the drivers side. Cant remember.

BUT if it is a truck motor, the lower is identical to the holley systemax that you can buy the upper for and mate it to the truck lower.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane- View Post

BUT if it is a truck motor, the lower is identical to the holley systemax that you can buy the upper for and mate it to the truck lower.
Cool didnt know that.

Easiest way to tell whats going on inside that block is to strip off the intakes.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The lower manifold in the holley systemax intake system is based off of the F-150 lower manifold. And yes the systemax upper will bolt up to the stock F-150 lower. However the systemax lower manifolds runners are twisted on the front of the manifold to help remedy the EFI5.O's air starvation problem. Long story stort a systemax upper should only be used on a systemax lower as the stock truck lower doesnt match the systemax's upper manifold front runners.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« Clutch | T45 swap »