what year could it be - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
what year could it be

Anyone have any idea how to tell the year of a motor? I knew the motor was rebuilt but had no idea it was completely different motor than 91. I only know its not a 91 because when I bought new plugs I came home went to put them in and they don't fit, I can't remember what the 91 plugs were but when they crossed them with the ones I brought in the next time they gave me NGK TR5GP' s
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Find the serial # and you can decode it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Your bottom end may still be for a 91 but the TR55GP for either for the gt40 or gt40p heads. I can't remember which. In other words your head have been swapped out at a minimum, perhaps the entire motor. You won't know unless you run the serial number off the block as mentioned earlier.
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

OK so is that a good thing or bad thing if my heads were swapped what's that mean are they better and what's the difference between the motors, better or worse
Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Both the gt40 and gt40p heads are an improvement over the stock e7's. The gt40s have 3 vertical bars on the side of the head and the gt40p heads have 4. If they are the p heads, they were originally from an explorer.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

OK so I found that the motor is from a truck in 1987 code was E7TE. I can't find what you mean by verticle bars??? I tried adding a pic but it won't let me stupid phone... anyway the numbers inside the head are 5L8 drivers side and 5L12 pass
Old 05-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

heres some pics of motor and heads. There are a few of cobra emblems like on the valve covers, this is aggrivating, I cant order any parts till I figure this out first and I'm itchen to get this going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130524_182844_491.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	828.6 KB
ID:	110162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130524_182851_087.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	888.4 KB
ID:	110163  

Name:	IMG_20130524_145313_967.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	794.7 KB
ID:	110164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130524_182905_345.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	689.5 KB
ID:	110165  

Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

here is a pic of the motor when I got it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130511_103743_093.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	110166  
Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Look at the underside of the heads, if they say e7 than they are the stock heads from a 5.0. Gt40 heads would be stamped gt40 on the top.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy
OK so I found that the motor is from a truck in 1987 code was E7TE. I can't find what you mean by verticle bars??? I tried adding a pic but it won't let me stupid phone... anyway the numbers inside the head are 5L8 drivers side and 5L12 pass
Did you find that code on the heads?? As 5.slow said there stamped on the under side of the heads. haha just when out an checked that one my self with the old pair I have sitting on my shelf haha
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

They are stamped E6SB????
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They are stamped E6SB????
On the under side?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

yes i looked them up and found they are from an 85 and that they are junk
Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yes i looked them up and found they are from an 85 and that they are junk
Ye I was going to say they don't flow that great just like e7s but you can make good power with gt40 or gt40p heads man I would look for a set of them can get them cheap man an with a s trim can man around 450rwhp an thats sitting close to the blocks limit witch is about 500rwhp
Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

which are better once ported or are they the same once ported what else would i need?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
which are better once ported or are they the same once ported what else would i need?
That I'm not sure on iv never run then but i think the GT40 are better then the p some one will probably jump in
Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post

That I'm not sure on iv never run then but i think the GT40 are better then the p some one will probably jump in
Stock form the P heads are better power wise, but there's the spark plug issue.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
E6 heads are from an 86 and yeah they suck. Ps or GT40s are so close power wise just get whatever is available. Gt40 heads will say GT and have 3 bars on the front of the head. Gt40p heads will say GTP and have 4 bars on the end of the head.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

what spark plug issue? just different ones? And will either work with the flat top pistons or do I need to change them as well? if so what should I get
Old 05-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
what spark plug issue? just different ones? And will either work with the flat top pistons or do I need to change them as well? if so what should I get
It's all up to you but if you think buddy was lying about the rebuild then I when just get a rotating assembly like a 306, 331, 347 forged an a good name brand

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Quote:
It's a 86 dude I looked a your pic of the lifter valley with the heads off they are flat tops with no valve reliefs
Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy View Post
The flat tops make it really dicey on what will work, IIRC some heads can work with the right cam but I would not mess with it.

The spark plug issue mentioned is that the P heads have spark plugs that come almost straight out vs the regular 45 degree angle that other heads use. This causes issues with many headers and also with plug wire boots.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

so basically I need to get the GT40 heads and port them. Along with the explorer 5.0 upper and lower intake right, until I save for the Trick Flow but even then they wont work without new pistons right
Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
so basically I need to get the GT40 heads and port them. Along with the explorer 5.0 upper and lower intake right, until I save for the Trick Flow but even then they wont work without new pistons right
Right, you can have your pistons notched too.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Do not port GT40s, the cost to buy GT40s, have them cleaned up, new springs/valves/seals/locks and a full port job is going to run you close to or as much as a set of Aluminum heads. You should never EVER spend more than $400-$500 to get a set of GT40s cleaned up and like new ready to bold on. If you do you are throwing money away.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Do not port GT40s, the cost to buy GT40s, have them cleaned up, new springs/valves/seals/locks and a full port job is going to run you close to or as much as a set of Aluminum heads. You should never EVER spend more than $400-$500 to get a set of GT40s cleaned up and like new ready to bold on. If you do you are throwing money away.
Hes right the only time it is worth the coin to fully port stockish heads is if you are performing grudge match races, for money, Street Racing that is now a fellony charge in the US since AUG31 of 01? Our generation cant have any fun anymore....
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
As far as the motor being rebuilt there is no real way to tell about every part that was used. My first car, 93 cobra built for NMRA Real Street Class, was stolen and striped 36 days after purachse (I was 17) and the left over parts are floating around town on some random dickwads car... to include my griffin radiator. You could take the time to individualy identify each and every part used down to the piston rings if thats what your after but I would consider this a waste of time.

Furthermore... In the begining of the EFI performance era many people were still resorting to doing performance work themselves. If you notice from what I can tell your front exhuast/intake runners on your heads have been custom hand ported by an ameatuer as they were starved of air. Looking at this I would say your engine was built in 89/90 condintion. Guess what? It is time for a new engine.. Even if it's a stock junkyard $450 special. I say this as a combat veteran and a second generation home remodeling buisness owner (once upon atime [80's] the biggestest home remodeler company in DFW!!!).. YES IM A GENIUIS... I can tell you the difference between a ametuer and professional... A ameture trys works on somthing until he can get it right. A profesional does somthing until he cant get it wrong. My fathers intrest.. Remodeling (still learning)... Mine? Car Performance. I made 45K when I was in highschool off of betting on illeagle money races on 8-9 second cars. After I take over my fathers 700K a year remodeling buisness, and he passes, I plan to bring everyone the online mustang performance company they deserve. There will be no information withheld. Long live FORD!!
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
As far as the motor being rebuilt there is no real way to tell about every part that was used. My first car, 93 cobra built for NMRA Real Street Class, was stolen and striped 36 days after purachse (I was 17) and the left over parts are floating around town on some random dickwads car... to include my griffin radiator. You could take the time to individualy identify each and every part used down to the piston rings if thats what your after but I would consider this a waste of time.

Furthermore... In the begining of the EFI performance era many people were still resorting to doing performance work themselves. If you notice from what I can tell your front exhuast/intake runners on your heads have been custom hand ported by an ameatuer as they were starved of air. Looking at this I would say your engine was built in 89/90 condintion. Guess what? It is time for a new engine.. Even if it's a stock junkyard $450 special. I say this as a combat veteran and a second generation home remodeling buisness owner (once upon atime [80's] the biggestest home remodeler company in DFW!!!).. YES IM A GENIUIS... I can tell you the difference between a ametuer and professional... A ameture trys works on somthing until he can get it right. A profesional does somthing until he cant get it wrong. My fathers intrest.. Remodeling (still learning)... Mine? Car Performance. I made 45K when I was in highschool off of betting on illeagle money races on 8-9 second cars. After I take over my fathers 700K a year remodeling buisness, and he passes, I plan to bring everyone the online mustang performance company they deserve. There will be no information withheld. Long live FORD!!
Dude save it for the website...
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT