water pump - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
water pump

I have been looking at the electric water pumps on summit racing and cant tell which style I need! I type in my year make and model and like 3 different styles come up, also do I need to buy a new type of backing plate too meaning pulling off the harmonic balancer? planning to buy a new one of those too and a cam so its all gotta come apart anyway just wondering theres alot more to cars than quads and dirtbikes lol and I'm not good at this I can change parts I take off but replacing with completely different stuff is confusing me...thank god for you guys
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Honestly dude, get a regular belt driven Motorcraft pump and call it a day. Also leave that cam alone, you are only going to cause issues by changing it with the stock heads not to mention a cam swap will not do **** for you with the stock heads still on the car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

well I apprieciate your candor scotty, but I am looking for info because I am not putting anything together until I 1) figure out what exactly I have and 2) buy ALL the parts I need to, meaning heads, and whatever else. I may seem to be getting ahead of myself and maybe thats why you said that but either way I want to build a sick *** motor, Im just trying to figure out what I have now is all and trying to learn what does what and works with what, forgive me for my enthusiasm. I am trying to keep a positive attitude as I traded my quad for a car that I was told and shown receipts for a new motor. Now I have a motor and body to repair and all for a race quad I had over 8 grand in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you want a "sick *** motor" my first piece of advice would be to ditch the stock 5.0 block and either upgrade to a DART or move to a 351w roller block that can take more than 500hp before splitting right down the lifter valley.

If you are starting from scratch like you are a 351 based build is only marginally more expensive than a 302 based built, the returns are MUCH higher with the 351 and a 351 roller motor that is good for up to 700whp is going to actually be less money than a DART based 302 build. IMO nobody except all out drag racers need more than 700whp...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i dont need that much at all i want a daily driver that sounds great with some nice low end torque like 300-350 rwhp
Old 05-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
A 302 will hold plenty of power with a tray and support girdle......
Me personally I plan on a 351 build..
There are many many Dyno proven combos that are 302 based from the 300-400+ hp range. MM&FF often has build ups in their mag, I believe the current issue has an article on 302 based builds including spec sheets. I believe there to be many of these write ups available on their website for anyone to look at.
The great thing is all their combos are time and Dyno tested, no guess work, no opinions, just facts.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

As far as the original question, I don't know that many if any here are running electric pumps, but they've come a long way and reliable to DD, and MM&FF should have some write ups on the correct installation. Also, lots of parts manufactures have instal help on their sites, especially when for stuff like a complete system type change, like belt driven to electric style water pumps.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry but what is mm&ff
Old 05-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy View Post
Sorry but what is mm&ff
Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Magazine, the definitive source and resource for all things Mustang.. You don't get the human/online experience by reading articles but you don't get the cheap shots and useless banter and insults from know it all's. you will get facts and straight forward info though and an education in basics and modding.
Remember no one was born with a wealth of Mustang knowledge, it comes from questions like yours, lots of reading and most important, experience, which you are acquiring now.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Blah Blah Blah. MM&FF. Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine. My mag collection of MMFF and 5.O dates back to 97. Furthermore a support griddle is a waste of time. A aftermarket windsor tray is just a oiling thing. If you need help with your build up you really just need to PM me and I will give you my full attention.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

This is a technical section, and a technical question.. Lets stay on topic by helping the OP with answers to his questions or offer him resources that can.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I agree deadsp0t. I have no real beef with you and hold you in the highest reguards as a fellow stang enthusiast. I have no doubt that in some areas that you know somthing about somthing that I dont. Thats the beauty to our 5.O performance. I have to say I am not on the level of Glidden but will be before I pass as I hold him in the highest reguards as carrol shelby on the invoator level. On a personal note no #1 surpasses my father nore grandfather as far as my interpritation of heros. My father has had a broken back since I was in the 3rd grade and is he strongest man I have seen or heard about as he still gets out of bed every day and does construction, as I have operated 1246 missions as an 11Bravo, most classified, even in support special operations teams to include what I know as, Task Force 16 which you know as DELTA FORCE he his a stronger man than I. As far as my local Mangum of DM having the first 6 second stang is just lucky as there were plenty of runners being just weeks behind and even faster.

As far as proper EW purchase I have posted many statements about Meizere.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

As far as proper EW purchase I have posted many statements about Meizere.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%
Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I like your tag, 100% agreed with sparrow. As my grandfather would say, and I am trying to instill in my stepchilden as he once did in me... "Cant never did nothing."
Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

MM&FF does buildups for and uses parts by whoever pays them to put it in their magazine. I understand that some of their buildups are good to look at as a baseline, HOWEVER, when I see in MMFF them building up a motor with Pro Products parts, MSD parts, a girdle on a 302 etc... I just have to laugh and I have never bought another one of their product bull**** shilling magazines since I saw an article like that years ago. If I want to get buildups to look at and real feedback on stuff I have a dozen online forums to kick around on although you have to be careful on these forums too. For every person who knows wth they are talking about there are 10 internet racers/information recyclers who don't.

As for the girdle, all that will do for a 302 is hold your $thousands of dollars of parts/forged rotating assembly that you put into a glass jaw block in a neat little pile for ease of cleanup when the caps walk and the block splits right down the lifter valley.

I have said this a million times, if you want more than 425-450whp (and even if you don't you probably will when you get there) you should be looking at a 351 block or a DART. Again, a 351 based buildup starting from scratch is going to be VERY close as far as final cost and it is a better motor in every possible way while holding a lot of power.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well its nice to see you all have made peace for the most part...lol
But getting back to me...I really am clueless when it comes to building a motor, I know the basics and how to turn wrenches I'm good at figuring things out but not on my own when it comes down to what block heads pistons lifters etc to use, that's why I come here...because I respect the amount of knowledge you all possess and look to acquire that knowledge for myself so that one day I too will be able to give it back. I know its difficult for some people to accept the fact that someone who knows nothing want to do something but like has been said we have all been there before, my grandfather was a great man and taught me everything he knew...but he was a plumber and electrician, my father was strong also and when he wasn't beating my *** for whatever reason he was working at the mill, I didn't have what most of you had out in the garage turning wrenches with their dads although I did learn a little about dirt bikes and quads from friends. Today me and my father get along much better but he don't know **** cept how to fill with gas and go.
My friends are all stuck on Hondas and eclipses and know nothing but bolt on parts from advanced auto...bottom line is I need you guys because I have no one els of course there are other forums but for whatever reason I like this one.
So with all that said, I am going to finish the car its self have to weld in front floor pans dynomat it and paint the entire car while collecting knowledge as to what I really need to do with the motor so if you don't want to help that's OK when you see busaboy just skip on past if you want to help which I'm sure you do that's why you're on here, thank you but please be patient with me...thanks
PS I'm also not good with abbreviation's... lol sorry
Old 05-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy View Post
Well its nice to see you all have made peace for the most part...lol
But getting back to me...I really am clueless when it comes to building a motor, I know the basics and how to turn wrenches I'm good at figuring things out but not on my own when it comes down to what block heads pistons lifters etc to use, that's why I come here...because I respect the amount of knowledge you all possess and look to acquire that knowledge for myself so that one day I too will be able to give it back. I know its difficult for some people to accept the fact that someone who knows nothing want to do something but like has been said we have all been there before, my grandfather was a great man and taught me everything he knew...but he was a plumber and electrician, my father was strong also and when he wasn't beating my *** for whatever reason he was working at the mill, I didn't have what most of you had out in the garage turning wrenches with their dads although I did learn a little about dirt bikes and quads from friends. Today me and my father get along much better but he don't know **** cept how to fill with gas and go.
My friends are all stuck on Hondas and eclipses and know nothing but bolt on parts from advanced auto...bottom line is I need you guys because I have no one els of course there are other forums but for whatever reason I like this one.
So with all that said, I am going to finish the car its self have to weld in front floor pans dynomat it and paint the entire car while collecting knowledge as to what I really need to do with the motor so if you don't want to help that's OK when you see busaboy just skip on past if you want to help which I'm sure you do that's why you're on here, thank you but please be patient with me...thanks
PS I'm also not good with abbreviation's... lol sorry
Read, read, and read some more. Articles, write ups and books about building engines and Dyno proven combos will take you further and save you do much time, money and frustration.

It's not exactly that ppl online don't know what they are talking about, it's that ppl do the same thing in different ways pull you different directions for the same result.
Those of us with years on years of knowledge and experience did not have the net forums as a resource.. We had other ppl(face to face) magazines and books.. Read, read, read....
Good luck sir.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Op you need a new backing plate (which most ew include in the package) and you need a reverse rotation pump. I believe thats all ya need to know. Call summit and verify what you are buying. Someone there should be able to help you if all else fails. Apparently meziere doesnt include backings plate. Also I am under the assumption you have a 87\93.
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Where r the administrators?? Kid go visit some speed shops and car shows to fond some help...and go to different forum...the people on this forum only answer about freaking the looks or easy bolt on ?s...I'm done with this forum...ex.dudes talking about how hard his daddy works...Lmao come on...who runs this site????
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I wouldn't suggest an electric pump for the street...and your goals are 300-400rwhp??? Correct??? No need for electric...edelbrock,ford,etc...has quality pumps for your goal and they come with backing plate +gasket...I have 320rwhp...I run edelbrock water pump 3row radiator,electric fan,180 thermostat,and use 70% distilled water and 30% water wetter...I never have an issue at track or driving it to Florida and back....ull find some mustang buddies soon...welcome to the club...don't get discouraged by the ****** bags that want to talk about themselves and their daddies....lol
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Get an actual ford service manual for your car for the exact year. (Yes most things won't change but at least you know it'll be EXACT). I did a complete tear down of my 302 after I pulled it just to learn how to assemble the 351w that went in its place. I started with a block that didnt even have freeze plugs in it so I except some essential machining, I'm proud to say I "figured" it out with a full on service manual. At the end of the day you can read and read like the honorable dead spot has mentioned, but that'll will only serve the groundwork you need to actually start the wrenching. We ALL learned by wrenching but we did so with proper planning which includes, you guessed it, READING.

That said, I'm sorry to report I can't answer your question on the electric water pump. I can however report that I've seen it on a good friends 5.0 as a daily driver and it performed flawlessly.

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT