what fo you think? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
what fo you think?

Ok so I have been thinking and I am wondering how hard it would be to do a efi swap for carb, I want to do this because the wiring is a mess and Id like to do away with most of it. Im thinking of buying some .30 over pistons and having my guy bore the cylinders, get some aluminum heads and port them, a 303 cam and the obvious new intake and carb and fuel pressure regulator. I bought a Moroso Racing panel with push button start and 4 toggles i want to run run acc, fuel pump, fan and water pump off of.
my one concern is if I get rid of the computer what will it effect? And what all will I lose or gain doing this? Any suggestions tips or info im listening.
For those that dont know from my other posts I have a 86/87 motor top end is pretty much a boat anchor with E6 heads, thanks
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Hmm yeah, I dont know much about carbs, someone will jump in just give it time.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
1- EFI is better, period. You can get rid of a lot of useless emissions stuff to clean the engine bay up and the rest of the wires you can hide if you are patient and don't mind some tedious lengthening of wires.

2- Why are you thinking of redoing your pistons/block? The stock rotating assembly is not the weak link in these motors, the block is.

3- Why are you going to port aluminum heads? If you do buy aluminums, buy the right size heads and bolt them on and go, not sure what you are trying to accomplish with porting.

4- 303 cams were good in the 90s, there are MUCH better basic OTS grinds than the 303 cams these days. Even a TFS1 cam is going to be better or just build yourself a combo and have a custom cam spec'd out.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
1- EFI is better, period. You can get rid of a lot of useless emissions stuff to clean the engine bay up and the rest of the wires you can hide if you are patient and don't mind some tedious lengthening of wires.

2- Why are you thinking of redoing your pistons/block? The stock rotating assembly is not the weak link in these motors, the block is.

3- Why are you going to port aluminum heads? If you do buy aluminums, buy the right size heads and bolt them on and go, not sure what you are trying to accomplish with porting.

4- 303 cams were good in the 90s, there are MUCH better basic OTS grinds than the 303 cams these days. Even a TFS1 cam is going to be better or just build yourself a combo and have a custom cam spec'd out.
I'm not a fan of changing wire lengths unless you know what your doing. You can get some weird things happening when resistances change because you added in extra length or the wrong size. He's better off buying some aftermarket heads that flow better, but I doubt their isn't a head(oem or not) that wouldn't net gains from a good valve job, port, and throat work; I say go for porting if your prepared to drop the $.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
There is such a thing as putting too big a head on a motor. If you put a Twedge head on a 302 for example, that is going to support all that 302 can handle in stock form unless you spin the thing to a ridiculously high RPM. If you decide to buy AFR 165s and want to port them... why in hell not just buy the 185s?

Buy the right size head for your combo and go if you are going from scratch. Port if you already have the head from a previous combo and you can save a slug of money by porting vs buying new. Great example of this is a guy who has the Twedge heads on a 302 and wants to do a 347 or even a 351 based build. Those heads port out great and you need that extra volume on a motor that big.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
yeah, considering that AFRs are fully machined, they just have extra meat, bolt on and go
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT