Foxbody first mods? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Coltonhess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elyria
Region: Ohio
Posts: 429
Foxbody first mods?

My grandpa just got himself a 87-93 mustang GT. Not to sure about the exact year. But he's interested in modding it up some and getting some decent power. I'm not very knowledgeable about Foxbodies since I have a 2000 so what are some good things to do for them? Thanks.
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
slow281
Regular
Supporter
 
sixpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonhess View Post
My grandpa just got himself a 87-93 mustang GT. Not to sure about the exact year. But he's interested in modding it up some and getting some decent power. I'm not very knowledgeable about Foxbodies since I have a 2000 so what are some good things to do for them? Thanks.
Exhaust is a must.. Throttle body with CAI.. Upgrade to a explorer intake or cobra or gt40. Aluminum heads.. List goes on..
__________________
Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Gotta budget we can work with ?
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Coltonhess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elyria
Region: Ohio
Posts: 429
I'm not to sure on the budget. Nothing to expensive. Maybe 4000? I think he's more into spreading it out over time.
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
slow281
Regular
Supporter
 
sixpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonhess View Post
I'm not to sure on the budget. Nothing to expensive. Maybe 4000? I think he's more into spreading it out over time.
Power or appearance..
__________________
Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Coltonhess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elyria
Region: Ohio
Posts: 429
More power than appearance
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
slow281
Regular
Supporter
 
sixpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonhess View Post
More power than appearance
How many miles on the motor.. You can stroke it for around 2k
__________________
Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kona Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boynton black
Region: Florida
Posts: 183
Under drive pulleys.
Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
slow281
Regular
Supporter
 
sixpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Mike View Post
Under drive pulleys.
Heard a lot of people have problems with those for foxs if fully accessoried I don't have problems but I don't have anything besides Elyria windows..
__________________
Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,598
Pullies on a fox will cause charging issues until you upgrade to a SN95 3G alternator.

Fox basic mods:

-FULL exhaust including headers. If he can do longtubes do longtubes.
-CAI
-MAF/TB
-Gears
-Suspension
-Subframes
-Fuel pump
-Short shifter
-Some other stuff I am probably forgetting

A HCI brand new is going to be $2500 for the full TFS or Holley kit (go TFS) so right there without any labor is over half of a $4k budget I'd recommend doing all the bolt ons first, doing some suspension work and just enjoying it. $4k will disappear very fast, I'd honestly just do the stuff I listed and just enjoy it. You can make a fox pretty quick without touching the HCI. They are light and gears go a long way to make up for the crappy heads and intake.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
You can do under drive pullies without charging problems as long as you go Steeda brand
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,598
Been there and done that, had steeda pullies on a 91 that my buddies nicknamed "the Steeda" as it might as well have been a moving advertisement for steeda between me and the guy who had it before me. Anyway had charging issues even with the alternator pulley removed. I upgraded to a JY 3G alternator out of a 94 or 95, I forget which year and the charging issues went away. This was back in 2002, the good old days lol.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
slow281
Regular
Supporter
 
sixpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Been there and done that, had steeda pullies on a 91 that my buddies nicknamed "the Steeda" as it might as well have been a moving advertisement for steeda between me and the guy who had it before me. Anyway had charging issues even with the alternator pulley removed. I upgraded to a JY 3G alternator out of a 94 or 95, I forget which year and the charging issues went away. This was back in 2002, the good old days lol.
I never had problems once I removed my stereo smog and AC
__________________
Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,598
Lol yeah if you remove stuff that pulls electrical power it will help. My lights would be dim at idle and I had all sorts of charging issues. The 2G alternator really is terrible, with the 3G it was like I did not have pullies on it at all. Same thing on my 95 and that had a subwoofer in it and I had BBK pullies on that one. 3G in the 95 took it like a champ.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Coltonhess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elyria
Region: Ohio
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Pullies on a fox will cause charging issues until you upgrade to a SN95 3G alternator.

Fox basic mods:

-FULL exhaust including headers. If he can do longtubes do longtubes.
-CAI
-MAF/TB
-Gears
-Suspension
-Subframes
-Fuel pump
-Short shifter
-Some other stuff I am probably forgetting

A HCI brand new is going to be $2500 for the full TFS or Holley kit (go TFS) so right there without any labor is over half of a $4k budget I'd recommend doing all the bolt ons first, doing some suspension work and just enjoying it. $4k will disappear very fast, I'd honestly just do the stuff I listed and just enjoy it. You can make a fox pretty quick without touching the HCI. They are light and gears go a long way to make up for the crappy heads and intake.
Thank you so much. Ill tell him that. I'm probably gonna sound stupid but what exactly is a HCl? Also would some good cams help out? They don't seem very expensive 170 on comp cams. But thanks that's a good list ill show it to him next time I see him.
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,598
HCI=heads, cam(s), intake. Intake will help a bit, the 5.0 being a pushrod only has 1 cam in the block and with the stock heads an aftermarket cam will not do anything but move the powerband around, you might actually lose performance.

What I would do if it was my car for $4k

-Full exhaust
-Short shifter
-Gears
-Explorer Intake
-CAI
-MAF/TB
-SN95 5 lug conversion with Cobra/Mach/ Bullitt brakes
-Suspension
-Wheels/Tires
-Subframes

Not necessarily in that order.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
slow281
Regular
Supporter
 
sixpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
HCI=heads, cam(s), intake. Intake will help a bit, the 5.0 being a pushrod only has 1 cam in the block and with the stock heads an aftermarket cam will not do anything but move the powerband around, you might actually lose performance.

What I would do if it was my car for $4k

-Full exhaust
-Short shifter
-Gears
-Explorer Intake
-CAI
-MAF/TB
-SN95 5 lug conversion with Cobra/Mach/ Bullitt brakes
-Suspension
-Wheels/Tires
-Subframes

Not necessarily in that order.
Subframes first lol.. Or right after exhaust
__________________
Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Coltonhess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elyria
Region: Ohio
Posts: 429
Ok thanks a lot. Ill let him know about those I'm sure he will appreciate all your answers.
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,598
Make sure to get full length subframes. I recommend the Maximum Motorsports ones.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:45 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.