351w swap in foxbody - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
351w swap in foxbody

Looking to buy an 87-93 foxbody and drop a 351w engine in it and eventually build it up and bore it to a 408. What numbers could I expect? 1/4 times and what would I need to do this?
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Pretty vague. Ford engines arnt like chevy motors in that there is only one way to build them. A 408 stroker could give you anywhere between 400HP to 2000HP. It all depends on what parts your using. The biggest determining factor in all this is money the next determining factor is knowing someone to tell you what you need to get to your performance goals.

So if a 408w powered fox body is really what you want then you can tell me your budget and desired performance goals as well as what the car will be used for and I will push you in the right direction.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

My budget is flexible but not looking to spend $20, 000+ all in one go. I was thinking of buying an original 351w and doing a rebuild and dropping it in a fox and then get new heads, bore and stroke it to 408w, forged rotating assembly, then forged block, etc, etc. I was like a sweet street car to start (carbed and big cammed fox) and then drag it. Make it 11 sec car with hopefully low budget and the final goal would be 9 second car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Just build it all at once you probably should just get in touch with Woody at FordStrokers.com 331-347-408-418-427 Custom Built Small Block Ford Engines You seem to be all over the place, you do not forge a block, you can put a forged rotating assembly in it but the block will just be checked/bored/honed/etc... to whatever you want and built up. A mild street 408w will make a solid 500whp and a ridiculous torque number and a longblock will run around $9k from a shop and then you gotta figure another $3k to get it in with all the swap parts, supporting parts, bolt ons. Also your transmission will need to be built if its an Auto or swapped for something much stronger than a T-5 unless you enjoy shattering synchos into a million pieces.

As far as a how to... honestly dude this is a topic that has been beaten to death x1000 over. You can find the answer to any question you have about this swap searching google and the multitude of online mustang forums.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Just build it all at once you probably should just get in touch with Woody at FordStrokers.com 331-347-408-418-427 Custom Built Small Block Ford Engines You seem to be all over the place, you do not forge a block, you can put a forged rotating assembly in it but the block will just be checked/bored/honed/etc... to whatever you want and built up. A mild street 408w will make a solid 500whp and a ridiculous torque number and a longblock will run around $9k from a shop and then you gotta figure another $3k to get it in with all the swap parts, supporting parts, bolt ons. Also your transmission will need to be built if its an Auto or swapped for something much stronger than a T-5 unless you enjoy shattering synchos into a million pieces.

As far as a how to... honestly dude this is a topic that has been beaten to death x1000 over. You can find the answer to any question you have about this swap searching google and the multitude of online mustang forums.
I would love to do it all at once but im a highschool student, now transfering to university with an 08 mustang gt and a maxima as a dd. I just dont have $10-15, 000 to just drop right now. If I did it slowly, $1, 000-$2, 000 at a time, I could do that.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt

I would love to do it all at once but im a highschool student, now transfering to university with an 08 mustang gt and a maxima as a dd. I just dont have $10-15, 000 to just drop right now. If I did it slowly, $1, 000-$2, 000 at a time, I could do that.
I wouldn't put the 351w in tell you got the 408 stoker done but theres alot to have a 9sec car even a 11sec car you should have toque box reinforcements, full sub frames, full roll cage and a stronger drive shaft an the t5 won't like hard launchs with a 408 and probably would need a tko 500 or tko 600 for that but these cars are easy to twist so if you want big power then you'll have to make the car strong enough to take it if you want it to last
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post

I wouldn't put the 351w in tell you got the 408 stoker done but theres alot to have a 9sec car even a 11sec car you should have toque box reinforcements, full sub frames, full roll cage and a stronger drive shaft an the t5 won't like hard launchs with a 408 and probably would need a tko 500 or tko 600 for that but these cars are easy to twist so if you want big power then you'll have to make the car strong enough to take it if you want it to last
Thats why im wanting to slowly build it stronger and stronger in order to do the supporting mods to accompany the engine. What would I need to do, step by step, if I bought a 351w carbed and build it faster and stronger as time goes on, not all at once?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you have an 08, build your 3V. If you are a high school student, swapping in a 351w is not only illegal in most states where the motor has to be the same year or newer, it is going to cost you a ridiculous, ridiculously huge amount of money. An 08 has a solid 310-320whp with bolt ons and a tune, do that and enjoy it. I have been where you are, you will get to a point and run out of money and your car will sit half finished out in a driveway and start to corrode. Working high school/college wage to support a car is really really... not smart... When your buddies want to go out or you want to go out on a date or you want to get a Playstation 4 to pwn the noobs on Battlefield whatever and you can't because you are trying to save up $$$ for the next part to get you just that much closer... yeah...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you have an 08, build your 3V. If you are a high school student, swapping in a 351w is not only illegal in most states where the motor has to be the same year or newer, it is going to cost you a ridiculous, ridiculously huge amount of money. An 08 has a solid 310-320whp with bolt ons and a tune, do that and enjoy it. I have been where you are, you will get to a point and run out of money and your car will sit half finished out in a driveway and start to corrode. Working high school/college wage to support a car is really really... not smart... When your buddies want to go out or you want to go out on a date or you want to get a Playstation 4 to pwn the noobs on Battlefield whatever and you can't because you are trying to save up $$$ for the next part to get you just that much closer... yeah...
No no, I have my 08 GT and it was twin turboed but I took ot off and is now blown and im not swapping into the 08 but swapping to a foxbody so if it sits, its no biggie. My hobby is cars, love classics and mustangs so I dont mind money going into it.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

If it sits, make sure it sits in a garage. If it sits outside have fun with that... ask me how I know...

I'd personally rebuild the 3V and forge it and keep the 08 but that's just me. Your car do what you want. I just know how it went with me in HS/College and my early years in the military when I actually had a steady paycheck and the car did not get done in 3 years. Hopefully yours goes smoother.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If it sits, make sure it sits in a garage. If it sits outside have fun with that... ask me how I know...

I'd personally rebuild the 3V and forge it and keep the 08 but that's just me. Your car do what you want. I just know how it went with me in HS/College and my early years in the military when I actually had a steady paycheck and the car did not get done in 3 years. Hopefully yours goes smoother.
Ive got a 2, 000 square foot shop at my house where I live in Ontario (my mom and grandparents place). Its got a rotary lift and we have engine hoists, rotisserie, etc here as my grandfather is a car guy too lol. I get it from him
Old 06-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

A Canadian using the imperial measurement system?! Something is amiss here...

Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A Canadian using the imperial measurement system?! Something is amiss here...
Up here when we measure houses we use square feet and for land we use acres. Dont know if thats imperial or what?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Imperial is ft/lbs, metric is... well metric lol. Kilos and liters and you crazies with your ham you call back bacon and the inability to have one of your teams win the Stanley Cup since 1993! Lol I kid I kid.

Well awesome you have that big of a shop. I'd still build the 3V. Have the heads ported by MHS or whoever, order cams, forge the shortblock, Kenne Bell that thing and go. What caused you to blow your original 08 motor? Stock internals? I mean hell for what you are looking for on a 408 swap you could probably even drop a Coyote in there for less.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Imperial is ft/lbs, metric is... well metric lol. Kilos and liters and you crazies with your ham you call back bacon and the inability to have one of your teams win the Stanley Cup since 1993! Lol I kid I kid.

Well awesome you have that big of a shop. I'd still build the 3V. Have the heads ported by MHS or whoever, order cams, forge the shortblock, Kenne Bell that thing and go. What caused you to blow your original 08 motor? Stock internals? I mean hell for what you are looking for on a 408 swap you could probably even drop a Coyote in there for less.
Havenr blown the block yet.....YET. hahaha
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Havenr blown the block yet.....YET. hahaha
Hey I'm not the only Canadian here haha where are you Toronto?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hey I'm not the only Canadian here haha where are you Toronto?
Im actually in Milton, 20 minutes west of Toronto haha! Where are you at?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im actually in Milton, 20 minutes west of Toronto haha! Where are you at?
Belleville It's about an hour an half from T.o if you ever need any tuning done check out dasilva racing there one of the biggest mustang shops around for any mustangs he will work on other cars to but not to often haha
Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Im in brampton ontario!
Varasios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varasios
Im in brampton ontario!
Haha we got to get a cruse day set up boyz haha
Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha we got to get a cruse day set up boyz haha
Im in on that!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Im in on that!
Haha iight man I'll sent ye a pm next time I go to Toronto to see what your up to should be going up here soon for some dyno time haha I wanna see what my 306 puts down lol
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

Im sorry to dig up an old thread, but I thought this was hilarious! Im really hoping youre a Bruins fan Scotty
Old 06-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

No, I hate the Bruins but I hate the Blackhawks more. I guess it would be nice to see Jags get one more cup and ride off into the sunset with a big middle finger up in the air at Mario.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT