What is the best oil for a 5.0 and what mileage should it be changed? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
What is the best oil for a 5.0 and what mileage should it be changed?

I hate to sound dumb but I got my 94 only a month or two back and haven't really used it. I want to change the oil. I already have the new motorcraft filter, but what oil do you guys like the most. I have 67,000 on the odometer so should I go synthetic? Also when should I change it again 5,000 miles or like 10,000 I know it varies with different engines. Thanks
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I always go full synthetic and mine only has 36k
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I always go full synthetic and mine only has 36k
How many miles do you wait to change your oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
You can go about 5k.

I still only go about 2500-3000k to change.

I keep er fresh :p
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Mobil 1 full synthetic is usually my first choice. I also use motorcraft synthetic blend at times and have been on my 06GT. Figure if the engine was designed to run with it why not right? I go 5k between changes. Most synthetics can go even longer but 5k is the longest I ever want to go.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Im an old redneck from Kentucky. My dad has been rebuilding engines on all sorts of cars since he was a teenager. Needless to say he is almost 70 years old! He told me on more than 1 occasion that of all the motor oil out there on the market he has and always will swear by Pennzoil. I remember when I was a teenager and we had 2 engines tore down at the same time, that he was gonna prove the oil difference. Both engines were Chevy 350's. Both had a minimum of 130, 000 miles on them. One engine had Valvoline 10w30 used its entire life and the other was Pennzoil 10w30. He removed both oil pans and set them both up in 2 drain pans. All I can say is you would be surprised. The Valvoline oil pan had drained but it had sludge build up all over the pans walls and bottom. The Pennzoil literally was spotless! Since then, last 20+ yrs, I have used only Pennzoil. I do recommend a synthetic blend of Pennzoil on older engines with a lot of miles. But again, thats just my preference.
mustangmania91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmania91 View Post
Im an old redneck from Kentucky. My dad has been rebuilding engines on all sorts of cars since he was a teenager. Needless to say he is almost 70 years old! He told me on more than 1 occasion that of all the motor oil out there on the market he has and always will swear by Pennzoil. I remember when I was a teenager and we had 2 engines tore down at the same time, that he was gonna prove the oil difference. Both engines were Chevy 350's. Both had a minimum of 130, 000 miles on them. One engine had Valvoline 10w30 used its entire life and the other was Pennzoil 10w30. He removed both oil pans and set them both up in 2 drain pans. All I can say is you would be surprised. The Valvoline oil pan had drained but it had sludge build up all over the pans walls and bottom. The Pennzoil literally was spotless! Since then, last 20+ yrs, I have used only Pennzoil. I do recommend a synthetic blend of Pennzoil on older engines with a lot of miles. But again, thats just my preference.
Yea I agree, I only have been using pennzoil synthetic in my new Honda generator. I think I'm gonna use pennzoil in my gt from now on. It's it also true that those engine flush oils are no good for the engine. I was told that there is such thing as good sludge that fills little nooks and crannys on the journals if there is a scratch or on the crankshaft.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes ive been told that too but not sure how reliable that is. Personally just using synthetic alone shld cote all moving parts sufficiently. Im a firm believer that the cleaner the engine the better it performs
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Mobil 1 full synthetic
Jeff44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
ALL oil has to meet certain specifications before it can be sold in the US so honestly... if you are changing every 3k you can run any brand and be fine. Obviously if you have already gone synthetic stay synthetic.

I personally run either Motorcraft or Wal Mart's Super Tech full synthetic. The Wal Mart stuff is actually a very good oil and VERY cheap. I just did the oil in my Expy which is a 5.4L and takes the same stuff as the stang. 5 qt jug of 5w-20 full synthetic at Wal Mart is $17. $4 per qt in individual bottles so with a Motorcraft filter which they sell for around $5 my oil change with really good oil cost under $30 with tax. I use Motorcraft oil if the Wal Mart stuff is sold out and that is a very very good oil as well and about the same price. If its good enough for Ford to use in a $60k+ vehicle and warranty I think I'll be ok lol.

Edit: oh, also have to insert my obligatory DO NOT USE FRAM FILTERS! At least not the "Tough"Guard orange cans of death filter. They are the worst omfg trash filters you can buy for your car. The Motorcraft FL820S filter is more than fine and costs about the same so there is 0 reason to not go with it. If you want the BEST filter for a reasonable price go hit up your local Napa and grab a NapaGold filter. Those filters are rebranded WIX filters and WIX is about the best filter you can get.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
ALL oil has to meet certain specifications before it can be sold in the US so honestly... if you are changing every 3k you can run any brand and be fine. Obviously if you have already gone synthetic stay synthetic.

I personally run either Motorcraft or Wal Mart's Super Tech full synthetic. The Wal Mart stuff is actually a very good oil and VERY cheap. I just did the oil in my Expy which is a 5.4L and takes the same stuff as the stang. 5 qt jug of 5w-20 full synthetic at Wal Mart is $17. $4 per qt in individual bottles so with a Motorcraft filter which they sell for around $5 my oil change with really good oil cost under $30 with tax. I use Motorcraft oil if the Wal Mart stuff is sold out and that is a very very good oil as well and about the same price. If its good enough for Ford to use in a $60k+ vehicle and warranty I think I'll be ok lol.
Use motorcraft on every fluid I can.. And filter..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I agree aith the wix filters. I work onboard a towboat on the ohio river as Chief Engineer. Weuse wix on everything. Good filter
Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Wix is definitely the best, I'm just lazy and even with a Napa within a minute's drive of my house I'd rather just throw the good old FL820S into the shopping cart with the oil and get it all at one spot lol. Even when I do my built motor I can't see changing up the oil... Spending $8+ on Royal Purple or even more on Amsoil is really just a waste in all but the craziest builds. If I was going to be spinning over 7500rpm I'd probably go with Amsoil at that point.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT