Crate motor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Crate motor

I'm looking to buy a crate short block, with all forged internals. Know where I can get a good one? I need to keep it on a budget.
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
DSS makes great engines, definitely give them a look.
stevec666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Dunno about short blocks but i got a performance long block 302 from tuffdawgengines.com for $3100. Its made by D&J machinery, very good quality. Has longer push rods, comp cams and a performance crankshaft..they also have a 331 and 347

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

Or if you want a full turn key engine id check out enginefactory.com
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Cool, I'm interested in a long block, if it comes with my heads and cam that I want, but most longs I've seen are fully built dressed up expensive motors between 8-15k. I'll have to check out tuffdawg and engine factory, how long have you had yours? I'm guessing you're happy or you wouldn't be recommending them. I haven't found any builders that use AFR heads though.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

My 302 ive had for 2 years now, runs great and has had no problems whatsoever. Put it in my truck but they have the mustang ones too with the proper intake, the website lists all the parts used. $3100 and i just had to transfer over my alternator, water pump etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	314756_10150293184557273_1919948858_n.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	112591
Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Im not sure about the heads but they have comp cams and full roller rockers. Engine factory is one of those flashy full built sites, great engines though my uncle has had one for 10 years with no issues
Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Cool, that pic looks pretty nice. I like the blue, do they paint all the same or can you pic? Sounds like a good option.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

They paint it ford blue like the classics. Cant choose your own color if i remember right but i could be wrong
Old 06-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Fordstrokres

/thread

There really is no more need for discussion. Talk to Woody and you will not be disappointed.

To whoever suggested DSS, they were the MMR of the pushrod world for a long time. I have heard they are better lately but still... you really can't go wrong with fordstrokers.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Fordstrokres

/thread

There really is no more need for discussion. Talk to Woody and you will not be disappointed.

To whoever suggested DSS, they were the MMR of the pushrod world for a long time. I have heard they are better lately but still... you really can't go wrong with fordstrokers.
Links not working? Or it says access denied
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

I just tried it and it worked fine on mine.

Just google fordstrokers lol. FordStrokers.com 331-347-408-418-427 Custom Built Small Block Ford Engines

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I just tried it and it worked fine on mine.

Just google fordstrokers lol. FordStrokers.com 331-347-408-418-427 Custom Built Small Block Ford Engines
Well my phone hates me.. But thanks..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

yeah it wouldn't work on my bionic for some reason either. Just get on your browser, google fordstrokers and go. if not just look when you get home. Fordstrokers is well known as one of, if not THE best crate motor/shortblock shops. All motors are done by the owner Woody or another mechanic he's had working there for for basically forever. That is it. This isn't some shop like DSS or MMR that mass produces as many engines as possible.

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Syke View Post
I'm looking to buy a crate short block, with all forged internals. Know where I can get a good one? I need to keep it on a budget.
If you are looking for a shortblock with forged internals, either get a DART if you are dead set on staying 302 based or upgrade yourself to a 351 based block. The stock 302 is a glass jaw block, putting forged internals in a stock block is basically like dropping a Ferrari engine in a Kia. You can find lower mileage 5.0 pullouts from SN95s/Explorers in the JY all day for a fraction of what you will pay for a forged shortblock and it will be just as durable. Your $thousands forged short block will split right down the lifter valley at the same point that a stock motor will. If you are dead set on forged pistons (not needed with a good tune at all at the stock block power level) then find a 92-older motor out of a Mustang, those have factory forged pistons.

edit: Also, there is no "budget" forged shortblock or especially crate motor ESPECIALLY done right. Even for a glass jaw 302 forged crate motor you'll be in it for probably $5k+ easy and that isn't including a better trans/clutch to hold the power, upgraded suspension, fuel system, misc parts etc... I did a basic non-forged rebuild to a 302 with all used parts minus a set of KB hyper dome pistons, honed it myself, assembled it myself and it was still about $3k with a set of Edel RPM heads, Comp cam, ported Cobra intake, longtubes, misc parts etc...

Old 06-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, so my plan is to build a "reliable" 4-415 hp motor, lots of torque, but be a daily driver NA. If I don't need a stronger block for that than a stock then I can look for a used, but I may decide later to go up in power and don't want to have to start all over with a new block, so if I can find one that is strengthened great, I would rather have a more beefed up block anyway. I know stock is good up to 500 hp roughly, but I'm thinking of the future which is why I would like forged.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

I was just wanting info on different companies that the mustang community trusts.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

I don't think you understand, there is NOTHING you can do to the stock block to make it stronger. You can forge the internals, you can put girdles into it, you can tap it for 4 bolt mains but it will still split right down the lifter valley. This is why I am saying putting forged internals in a stock block is a waste. Now if all you want is a 400whp 347 stroker a stock block will be fine and most stroker kits are forged anyway but if you do ever want to go any higher you are going to be limited by the block.

My suggestion, just go straight to a 351 based setup. If you don't really have anything serious done on your 302 right now the cost difference in a built 351 stroker is marginal compared to a stock block 302 based stroker. A 351 roller block is good for around 700whp and a mild street 408 stroker will make 500+ whp all day all motor.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

This sounds about like the power your after, maybe do a couple bolt on upgrades to add a little. Although the website is saying the strokers wont pass emissions, so i guess this isnt the answer if you need it in your area. These guys' engines are great though

Name:	ForumRunner_20130608_171742.png
Views:	129
Size:	543.6 KB
ID:	112917
Old 06-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Theres whats inside

Name:	ForumRunner_20130608_172808.png
Views:	120
Size:	616.7 KB
ID:	112918
Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Strokers can pass emissions just fine depending on what it is and if the emissions stuff is still hooked up/working well, they just probably say theirs won't so they don't some idiot storming back when his high compression 331 with no smog equipment doesn't pass the sniffer lol.

And honestly for 400whp, Syke would be in the car for a LOT less money to just throw a S-trim at the stock longblock or get an exploder longblock and S-trim that. I am a huge proponent of finding an Exploder crate motor, freshening the springs, swapping in the GT cam and throwing a supercharger on it. Spend the rest of the money on the rest of the car. Trans/suspension/bolt ons/cosmetics etc... A stock longblock will happily run with a S-trim on it pretty much forever provided the tune is good.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Scotty, I hear you loud and clear, thanks...I had no intentions of putting upgraded internals in a stock block, sorry if that wasn't clear. I have a combo in mind that I know will work for a 302/306. I'm all about natural aspiration though. I know how you can supercharge, turbo, NOS, a motor and create loads of numbers. But I'm the kinda guy that wants the sleeper look, also since its my daily I don't want to go too crazy. I'll be doing a full rebuild as time and money are available to include torque boxes, subframes, suspension, etc. I want a respectable daily with a/c, p/s, 24 hwy mpgs with 400hp/400tq. As I mentioned earlier I have a combo that I know will work. I appreciate everyone's input, and maybe what I want can't be done for around 3k, but that's what I was trying to find out. I had checked out all the usual websites, ford, summit, jegs, 5.0 resto, Dallas mustang, etc. I had not looked at dss or engine factory, but I also wanted to know if there was a smaller business that you trust that builds solid quality engines. I'm going to have to pull my stock 302 to fix it, if I'm going that far, I would like to drop something in and I'll eventually do something with the pulled one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT