Suggested Headers for 94 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Suggested Headers for 94 5.0

Need some suggestions on headers. I want new headers if they are going to make my car sound any better. I know that longtubes will give a good boost in flow, but I've heard of people having trouble passing emissions with them. I unfortunately need to be able to pass emissions no matter what =\. Has anyone passed emissions with long tubes before? Anyways IF I can pass emissions with long tubes, what what brand would you suggest for the best bang for buck? If not, what shorties would be recommended, and are equal length worth the extra hassle? Should I go with Ford Racing shorties if I want good sound increase for the money?
94BlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Ive put BBK shortys on all my v8s. They look great and they are a fair price, they last too. Ive heard ceramic ones are good but ive never owned any
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Don't get shorties. Waste of money. Brand depends on how much money you're willing to give up. Kooks, stainless works, slp, Mac, and bbk. All good brands. Just expensive.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I got Mac long tube headers bbk mid pipes flowmasters exhaust dumped passed emissions real easy here in Cali
The420fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo91
Ive put BBK shortys on all my v8s. They look great and they are a fair price, they last too. Ive heard ceramic ones are good but ive never owned any
+1
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Shorties are not a waste of money. They flow better than stock, they look better than stock, they last a long time, they are easy to work with. No clearance issues like with long tubes. I'm tired of people saying shorties are a waste. No they are not going to give you the ratio of money spent to performance gained like a bottle of Nitrous oxide, but still.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
Shorties are not a waste of money. They flow better than stock, they look better than stock, they last a long time, they are easy to work with. No clearance issues like with long tubes. I'm tired of people saying shorties are a waste. No they are not going to give you the ratio of money spent to performance gained like a bottle of Nitrous oxide, but still.
+100, couldnt agree more!
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Shorties are a waste on a modular, not a 5.0. That said long tubes can't pass if your state says long tubes can't pass like in California, for example, it says no long tube headers. As far as a sniffer though, if you put a good catted pipe on and your car is running properly and all your emissions stuff is working there is 0 reason it shouldn't pass. If your state allows, get long tubes. Bbks and Macs work well, can be installed with the motor in the car and do not have the clearance issues that people who have never put them on their cars claim they do. My exhaust pipes sat no lower with my Mac long tubes than it did with shorties.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Good info scotty
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I am running Mac headers with a Mac off road h pipe and love the sound
badsheep5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly if they still made them I'd suggest FRPP ceramic shorties for our cars if I was to suggest any shorties. I got a set from gefracing in 2003 brand new for $300 which was a LOT for shorties especially back then. They fit perfect, they never leaked, they had the EGR bung and when I sold them 5 years after the fact having driven the car daily for a few years they looked almost brand new. There was a little discoloration on them, that was it. IIRC Ford still makes the stainless/ceramic shorties for the fox. If you have no EGR and run a fox midpipe you can use those on the SN95 no probs.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Shorties are a waste on a modular, not a 5.0. That said long tubes can't pass if your state says long tubes can't pass like in California, for example, it says no long tube headers. As far as a sniffer though, if you put a good catted pipe on and your car is running properly and all your emissions stuff is working there is 0 reason it shouldn't pass. If your state allows, get long tubes. Bbks and Macs work well, can be installed with the motor in the car and do not have the clearance issues that people who have never put them on their cars claim they do. My exhaust pipes sat no lower with my Mac long tubes than it did with shorties.
I got Mac long tubes I passed in Cali? Am I misunderstanding something?
Old 06-08-2013, 03:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You did? What's you're whole setup?
Old 06-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Did some digging and found out washington doesnt do a cisual inspection. Will more than likely get cats and go long tubes. Now, Macs or BBK?
94BlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:34 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

What about the sniffer test?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I got my car legally smoged I have Mac long tubes bbk mid pipes and flowmasters 40 seres dumped
Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

No cats
Old 06-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its technically illegal to remove ANY smog components and Cali is a nazi state about smog. Longtubes ditch 2 cats and move the O2s which is a no-no according to the smog laws. Also if the headers do not have a CARB number and the tech cares about that... no dice.

Now, with that said, a LOT of places will not check visually and as long as the car passes a sniffer (which it will if its running right and the cats are in good shape) you should be good.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I have my stock h pipe when I go through emissions I throw is back on
badsheep5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have Mac shorties, Mac Prochamber and Mac catback and the sound is amazing!
Jeff44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #21
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Don't get shorties. Waste of money. Brand depends on how much money you're willing to give up. Kooks, stainless works, slp, Mac, and bbk. All good brands. Just expensive.
Shorties are a waste on modulars not pushrods.. A push rod will benefit fairly good on shorties.. Not as much as long tubes but they still help..

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
+1 didn't realize you already said this.. Bahahah
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT