12" subs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
12" subs

Can I run 12 inch subs and amp off of my factory 1990 radio? It's a 1990 gt
1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Stock radio doesnt have the plugs for it. Even if theres a way to wire it somehow the stock radio bass/treble settings are weak. Any aftermarket radio has hookups even the cheaper ones
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What if I run 6x9's in the back off of it? Just the door panel 6x9's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I dunno man ive installed a few stereos but im no audio expert lol. There is an audio section on this forum, maybe one of them can give you some better info
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Just get a new headunit
91MustangNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well I want a touchscreen and that's like $400 which I don't have now. But I don't want to waste money on another to run my subs and 6x9's
Old 06-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #7

Region: Illinois
you can use a line level converter which you can wire to your speakers and get the rca inputs you need for the amp and you wont have to change the stereo.ebay has tons of them for cheap
Soda56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Running subs off the factory radio or the back speakers... wtf?

First off you need an aftermarkt amp to run/power subwoofers... that is #1. You need the headunit, amp and the wiring kit to install it. I recommend 4 gauge from the battery terminal to the amp int he back with a big inline fuse and then the standard amp to sub wiring.

#2 is you need to upgrade your alternator to a 3G unit out of a 94-04 car because the factory 2G alternator has a hard enough time just keeping the car itself running properly. Throw a set of subs in there and you're going to have huge charging issues and dimming lights.

If you don't even have $400 then keep on saving because you are not even close. $500 or so for a good touchscreen, $300-$500 for the amp, $100 for the wiring kit and then if you have to pay to get it installed figure another $100-$200 for that. And then if you still have the circa 1990 stock paper speakers its going to sound like garbage till you upgrade those. Figure another $300-$400 for a decent set of speakers like Pioneers.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #9

Lol your name says it all. You obviously dont know what a line level converter does. It uses the power from the speakers and CONVERTS it to singnal voltage to go to the amp that will power the subs. No, you do not need an after market head unit, although i would recommend one. But if youre on a budget that would be the way to go until you can afford a better head unit. Lol you recommend 4 gauge and alt upgades and you dont even know how much power hes running. From personal experience you can run about 500 watts before light dimming starts from an AB class amp. The question was can you hook up subs without removing the stock stereo - the answer is yes
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I have a 91 gt. When I bought it from Florida one of the first things I did was hook up my stereo. To this day(3 1/2 yrs later) it still has the same head unit in it that the previous owner. Its a pioneer and its the most basic one you could buy. However, pioneer is and has been always a badass head unit. So I installed my 2 12" Kicker speakers and my Coustic 360 amp. Yes it sounds great but u must upgrade ur door speakers, dash speakers and your rear speakers as well. If not it sounds crappy and normally will blow regardless. And, all the stuff you need I would look on ebay. Great quality especially if its new. And installation is simple. Worst case look it up on the net. Lots of diagrams available
mustangmania91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmania91 View Post
I have a 91 gt. When I bought it from Florida one of the first things I did was hook up my stereo. To this day(3 1/2 yrs later) it still has the same head unit in it that the previous owner. Its a pioneer and its the most basic one you could buy. However, pioneer is and has been always a badass head unit. So I installed my 2 12" Kicker speakers and my Coustic 360 amp. Yes it sounds great but u must upgrade ur door speakers, dash speakers and your rear speakers as well. If not it sounds crappy and normally will blow regardless. And, all the stuff you need I would look on ebay. Great quality especially if its new. And installation is simple. Worst case look it up on the net. Lots of diagrams available
Yes I was going to do the 6x9's in the rear seat and the door panels. Do you know what size the door panels are?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Doors are 6.5, dash is only 3.5, and resrs are actually 6x8. All are weird sizes. I stoll need to replace my factory with pioneers. Ive installed many over the last 25 yrs and yes pioneer is a hell of a bang for the buck. But I do recommend Kicker or JL Audio for ur subs
Old 06-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda56k View Post
Lol your name says it all. You obviously dont know what a line level converter does. It uses the power from the speakers and CONVERTS it to singnal voltage to go to the amp that will power the subs. No, you do not need an after market head unit, although i would recommend one. But if youre on a budget that would be the way to go until you can afford a better head unit. Lol you recommend 4 gauge and alt upgades and you dont even know how much power hes running. From personal experience you can run about 500 watts before light dimming starts from an AB class amp. The question was can you hook up subs without removing the stock stereo - the answer is yes
I won't even begin to get into how terribad of a power source the speakers are for a set of 12s. Also you've obviously never dealt with the 2G alternator on the foxbodies before. If you had, you would not be recommending he just run a converter and he'll be ok. As for 4 gauge wire, dude is talking about a minus $400 budget... he won't need more than a 4 gauge wire...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

+1 soda56k
I agree with a larger alternator. Trust me. Everytime the Kickers 'hit' u can watch the guage drop way below the middle
Old 06-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

I won't even begin to get into how terribad of a power source the speakers are for a set of 12s. Also you've obviously never dealt with the 2G alternator on the foxbodies before. If you had, you would not be recommending he just run a converter and he'll be ok. As for 4 gauge wire, dude is talking about a minus $400 budget... he won't need more than a 4 gauge wire...
You still don't get it.Have you ever wired an amp before?The converter takes the power from the speaker and converts it to a rca signal voltage 2.2v so you can hook up the RCA inputs to the amp so the amp has something to amplify and leave the stock stereo alone.Also I'm on my second fox that I've owned and like I said earlier 500watts is about where alt upgrade should be done also a kinetic battery and the big 3.He said he doesn't have 400 for a new stereo, you don't know if he already has an amp and if its 400watt or under you can run 8 gauge as wire is expensive.if you don't need it why buy it
Old 06-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yes I wired in a "system" into my Cobra. Pioneer headunit to kicker amp to 2 subs. Nothing to write home about but sounded great.

And my experience with 2G alternators with foxes has proven to me that they are barely enough to support the stock electronics, much less a set of subwoofers. I've had foxes too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT