Convertible top wont work by the switch, help!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Convertible top wont work by the switch, help!!

So today I started on my top replacement, just my luck of all days I doesn't work! I took out my backseat and tested the voltage on the motor and it works just fine, pope the hood an the convertible top motor circuit breaker is fine and its socket if getting full voltage, the top switch works fine as well, soo all day I have been hooking a car battery right up to the top motor so I can replace my top. Cuz you have to open and close it a lot. I'm am frustrated because not only is it extremely difficult to change the top but now I have to look forward to fixing wiring! Please help guys!!
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Help!!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Fluid in the motor may be low or gear stuck. Had it happen to my 90 GT. Have someone hold the power switch and another person bang on the motor, should free it up. Was a lifesaver for me, hope it works.
stevec666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Anyone know where the relay is located, I'm guessing near the motor. It's an 83, it was winter when I bought it a few yrs back. The idiot kept holding the button down trying to put it up, before I convinced to leave it alone. It was still working when he quit, but now it does nothing. I only drive it once in awhile, but I'm giving it to my kid, so it has to have a working top.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec666 View Post
Fluid in the motor may be low or gear stuck. Had it happen to my 90 GT. Have someone hold the power switch and another person bang on the motor, should free it up. Was a lifesaver for me, hope it works.
It's not, like I said I used a car battery on it and it worked fine, I'm not getting power to the switch
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I hate to leave a question in the air I case ifSomeone ever googles with the same problem but I found why It stopped working. I unplugged the day time running lights module in my front bumper cuz my cars from Canada and drl's are stupid looking on a 94. Any way I plugged the module back in and the top hats power again. Idk why ford had to integrate the tops power source ith stupid daytime running lights. Now I have to figure out how to in hook the drl's without disabling the top
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
I hate to leave a question in the air I case ifSomeone ever googles with the same problem but I found why It stopped working. I unplugged the day time running lights module in my front bumper cuz my cars from Canada and drl's are stupid looking on a 94. Any way I plugged the module back in and the top hats power again. Idk why ford had to integrate the tops power source ith stupid daytime running lights. Now I have to figure out how to in hook the drl's without disabling the top
Run HID's. look cooler.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker View Post

Run HID's. look cooler.
Hahaha maby, but how will that solve the daytime running lights issue
Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Your daytime running lights will be HID. Lol. Looks better than Bic lighters.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Or if you can get a wiring schematic and find the wires from the DRL relay an clip them off. As long as you clip them after the relay u will be fine.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT