junkyard intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
junkyard intake

So yet another issue arises from previous owner. No gaskets at all. Just rtv. Any ways does anyone have a good picture set or video of changing to the explorer intake. It was already done but after all the other issues I want to make sure it was done right.
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar72 View Post
So yet another issue arises from previous owner. No gaskets at all. Just rtv. Any ways does anyone have a good picture set or video of changing to the explorer intake. It was already done but after all the other issues I want to make sure it was done right.
Your best bet is to get a haynes manual for your car. The explorer intake install will be about the same as the H.O. intake.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'd recommend the Chilton's its way more detailed than the Haynes. Honestly the Haynes is pretty terrible... Or go all out and get a factory HELM manual. The Chilton's I used had all the torque values and patterns.

And also, you are SUPPOSED to use RTV on the ends of the intake in place of gaskets. The gaskets suck even the rubber ones, the cork ones are about useless. If the guy did RTV for ALL the gaskets like around the intake ports and everything... yeah you need to get some gaskets in there lol. Just make sure to use RTV on the ends and RTV around the water ports.

Here are some install pics when I did the one on my rebuild:

THIS is the stuff you should be using, available at any parts store

RTV around the jackets

Cut off some bolts to use as guide studs and make sure you get the other side of the water jackets too

Make your end gaskets like yea

Installed. Again, make SURE you torque it properly and do it in the right pattern. Its all in the Chilton's manual. You'll probably have to go over the torque a few days later after a few heat cycles also.

2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome what about the plenum. (Upper Intake) lines and connectors.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
It bolts on just like it comes off, there is a torque pattern for it too and make damn sure you follow it because those aluminum intake threads WILL blow out if you don't use a torque wrench. No RTV or anything required for it, just the gasket and the torque wrench and bolts. Take pics when you take off the original intake of how all the vac hoses and all that junk went so you can put it back together although I had mine apart for awhile and remember it being pretty self explanatory.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Just finished removing cleaning and replacing injectors and o rings. 2 questions. As I'm not the one who originally put out on. 1 there is a vaccum line from the back top of the block and it is running straight to the upper intake. Is that right? 2. No egr. Is there a mod or something for that or run without it?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #7

Region: Missouri
That's the pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) good idea to have that on, I know smoke comes out of the dipstick if you don't have it together lol idk what or if it hurts anything if you don't have vacuum on it.
93lx5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yeah if you don't have the PCV hooked to vacuum oil will come out of the hole and burn on the motor...

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

And it'll smoke like crazy
86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. I got most of it figured out just waiting to purchase an intake adapter elbow. Those ain't cheap.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar72 View Post
Thanks guys. I got most of it figured out just waiting to purchase an intake adapter elbow. Those ain't cheap.
Summit lol
540i6e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'd recommend the Chilton's its way more detailed than the Haynes. Honestly the Haynes is pretty terrible... Or go all out and get a factory HELM manual. The Chilton's I used had all the torque values and patterns.

And also, you are SUPPOSED to use RTV on the ends of the intake in place of gaskets. The gaskets suck even the rubber ones, the cork ones are about useless. If the guy did RTV for ALL the gaskets like around the intake ports and everything... yeah you need to get some gaskets in there lol. Just make sure to use RTV on the ends and RTV around the water ports.

Here are some install pics when I did the one on my rebuild:

THIS is the stuff you should be using, available at any parts store

RTV around the jackets

Cut off some bolts to use as guide studs and make sure you get the other side of the water jackets too

Make your end gaskets like yea

Installed. Again, make SURE you torque it properly and do it in the right pattern. Its all in the Chilton's manual. You'll probably have to go over the torque a few days later after a few heat cycles also.
You sir are a genius for the studs to hold the gasket in place while you place the lower intake down... I cannot begin to express my thanks for that idea! Should save several curse words during the next time I pull an intake.

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post

You sir are a genius for the studs to hold the gasket in place while you place the lower intake down... I cannot begin to express my thanks for that idea! Should save several curse words during the next time I pull an intake.
I agree awesome idea will definatly do the is when I build my next engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT