Possible timing problem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Possible timing problem?

Hey, all. Quick question. I changed my water pump a couple weeks ago. We moved the crank a bit when we took its pulley off to get the pump out. Would that have messed up my timing and cause a rough idle? And will that destroy my car until I fix it?
FutileTerror9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Yessir sounds like timing. Drive on it too long and it can break valves and damage pistons. Does it make a bit of a knocking sound?
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Im not sure if a rough idle is over or under advanced for sure but yeah either way youll want to get that fixed. Its super quick and easy to fix with a timing light if you have one, dont even need to take anything apart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

It doesn't make any knocking sounds at all. The only really bad idle is when I first start the car. Like a cold start. I have no idea how to use a timing light, it should be easy, though?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Did you make sure to plug back in the...i wanna say air idle chip (looks like the letter T kinda)? Well you hook up the light to your battery and put a socket down on the bolt of your bottom pulley, unplug that air idle chip and start the car. Be very careful of the fan! Then shine the light down and on the bottom pulley, youll see some marks and numbers, you want to line it up at whatever number your car needs to be at. On my truck with the 302 its a 10. Plug back in your little chip and your good
Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #6

I don't think I ever touched an air idle chip. ;0 But now I'm worried I didn't replace the crankshaft pulley right. What if I bolted it down wrong... Dang.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If you havent done it before though i would recommend taking to a shop or having someone show you how. It takes 2 minutes i would hope they dont charge too much
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

What year is it? And dont stress out, if theres no knocking sound then nothing internal is hitting so thats good. If you moved the crank im almost certain its timing but check and make sure you have a good tension on the belt
Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you didn't remove the timing chain nothing with your timing got messed up. There is 0 reason you should have had the timing cover off doing a water pump so I doubt it is timing or if it is it wasn't caused by anything you did changing the water pump. Definitely check your timing and make sure you go the right rotation water pump for your car, installed the pullies correctly and correctly burped the system. Only other thing I can think of is a seeping leak onto something that is causing your issues...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

I think I have a vacuum leak pretty bad. The antifreeze/coolant isn't disappearing from what I can tell, but the idle just kinda jitters sometimes. Dang old cars. Lol.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #11

Region: Missouri
Maybe try cleaning your mass air flow sensor? Cheap and easy to do lol, I'd suggest using the crc mass air flow cleaner if you were going to do so though. It works pretty well from what I've been told.
93lx5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #12

Hey, everyone. I've got updates. So, I ended up getting a bunch of new sensors. New iac, iat. Maf was cleaned out super well. The car idles better, but it's still weird. Rpm's shoot up when I'm shifting and press the clutch. Gas smell from the engine bay. And the egr hisses. So, we took some carb cleaner and started spraying around. The egr itself is leaking. Big ole vacuum leak. It's not the gasket, it's the dang thing itself. Anyone ever change one? Lol
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yeah you disconnect it and then torch/pb blaster the hell out of the nut on the tube where it it connects to the header and take that off. Then unbolt from the intake. Install is reverse of take out. You can just delete it too, you'll need to load a custom tune to fully turn the EGR function off in the computer though. Honestly there are probably a million of these EGRs in good shape you can get for next to nothing because a lot of ppl remove them. I'd just get a good used one and bolt it right back on and call it good.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sounds like you have some more fixing to do. Timing, egr, vacuum leaks ect..
540i6e39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« Smog | No fuel »