Roll Bar + 5 Point harness + Stock Seats = Bad Idea? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Roll Bar + 5 Point harness + Stock Seats = Bad Idea?

Hey guys, Quick question. Im planning on building my 86 GT as a mild track car that I could still drive comfortably on the road. I already knew not to use 5 point harnesses with no cage and stock seats, because in the event of a bad crash, the roof could cave in and you would be stuck in the vertical position. So my plan is to delete the rear seat on my car, build a simple cage with the main hoop behind the driver and passenger seats, cross braces, and some bars going to the hatch area floor of the car and the drivers and passenger sides floorboards. Then my plan would be to mount the shoulder harnesses over one of the cross bars behind the seats, with my seats. I dont really want to change seats because I just got these mint leather buckets out of an 04 GT fitted in my car, and im starting to really like them. Ive been getting mixed answers, so i figured id ask around. Are factory seats with a roll cage and 5 point harnesses a bad idea?
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Unless your going to race the car in a class that requires somthing other than the stock seat I wouldnt worry about it. If its a subject thats going to keep you up at night you could swap a race seat in and out when ever you decide to head to the track for a weekend event.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
Unless your going to race the car in a class that requires somthing other than the stock seat I wouldnt worry about it. If its a subject thats going to keep you up at night you could swap a race seat in and out when ever you decide to head to the track for a weekend event.
It doesnt bother me too much at all, I just heard from a few people it might be a bad idea. Im not seeing why though. And Im not looking to fit into any classes or sanctioned events, I just want to attend some track days and some autocross events, and Im sure with the leather seats, and no harnesses, id be sliding all around the seat on hard corners.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT