460 swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
460 swap

I've been racing my stock 302 with a few mods and I been gettin my tail kicked my these Chevy small blocks so I'm wondering if a 460 swap will get me right my mods now are

Gt40- intake
19lb injectors
E7 heads
Stock fuel pump
Z303 cam
70mm bbk throttle body
Bbk cold air
Stock MAF
Bbk full exhaust

So Im just wonder should I ditch the fuel injection and do the big block swap
Ronn501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I wouldnt do a 460, the upper intake is totally different, even if you could rig it somehow they are way heavier too. I would either stroke your engine to a 331 or get a stroked 418 on the 351 block. Just my opinion

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

One thing that will really boost your low end is gears if you havent done those already
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Would a 331 stroker b good for a daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they run pretty smooth. The one you wanna avoid is the 347
Old 06-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
No iv seen alot of 347 DD driving around just go with the 347 but don't forget about the Heads you don't want e7s or gt40s on a 347
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I am building a 79 notch right now with a 429 for now to get the car sorted out.. Then I will put a 521 stroked BB in it.. I love how almost everyone on all the mustangs forums are quick to say "dont do it its too heavy". ok just to straighten out some things.
complete iron 302 with accesories is roughly 475 pounds
complete iron 351w with accesories is roughly 540 pounds
complete iron 460 with accesories is roughly 650 pounds
ok now for a everyday driver are you gonna notice the 175 pounds on the nose? i doubt it...
If you want to balance out the weight difference when you put the 460 in just put a tubular K member and A arms and an aluminum intake on the 460 and your back at the nose weight you were with the 5.0 in it but now you have twice the torque you had before..
the motor to find is 68-70 429 or 460's they have the best heads for stock...
My 1968 thunderbird thunderjet 429 is rated at 360hp and 480lbs of torque. not bad when it is dropped in a 2200 lb chassis..
But as far as your question i would not keep the 460 fuel injected i would desmog the motor and carb it..
just my $00.02
1953fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you are going to stroke a small block out, don't even waste your time with the stock 5.0 block, get a 351 roller and stroke it out to a 408 and build that. 500whp all day on a mild, streetable driver.

Or just take the current combo you have now, add a supercharger and fuel system and you'll hit 400whp and retain stock gas mileag/driveability. I'm a huge fan of stock or GT40 longblocks with superchargers on them for that reason. Although when someone puts a forged rotating assembly in a stock block and then asks "how much boost can I get away with" it is good for a bit of a laugh...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I had a 1980 notchback about 5 years ago i put a bone stock 1991 5.0 shortblock that had about 100,000 miles in it. I put trickflow heads vic jr intake a 850 quickfuel carb. The cam i put a big mutha thumpr hydraulic roller. I had to put new valve reliefs in the pistons for the cam. the car had 4.10 gears and a C4 with 2800 stall. this ran 12.0x's 11.9x's
it would run 11.1x's and pull the front wheels if i sprayed it with a 150 shot... my trap speeds were around 120-123mph so i know the car could be quicker with more tinkering.
so either way you go you can make them fast without breaking the bank.
you just need to decide which route you want to go and if there will be room for it to grow in the future....
1953fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I would stay away from the Big Blocks. If youre just going in a straight line, sure go ahead, but if you like to take your car on some twisties like me and many other mustang owners, you should just forget about it. Regardless of what you do to the front end, you will feel that weight. And then comes the supporting things. Youll need a trans (obviously) and then a driveshaft, and then strengthen your torque boxes, and probably some better LCA's if youre still running stocks. Im not trying to tell you what to do, its just a lot of time and money when for the same price of all that listed above, you could throw a ProCharger on your car and be plenty satisfied.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I think I'm just goin to upgrade my stock fuel pump n the tank and get sum better heads.. I really don't want to ditch my fuel injection for a 460... But can I take a 85 351 and put all my injection junk on it including my 1 belt set up
Old 06-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn501 View Post
Yea I think I'm just goin to upgrade my stock fuel pump n the tank and get sum better heads.. I really don't want to ditch my fuel injection for a 460... But can I take a 85 351 and put all my injection junk on it including my 1 belt set up
Yeah. Get a set of GT40 heads if you're on a budget, they will wake that thing right up. If you're not so tight on money, then get some Trickflow heads. And an intake if you don't have one.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok yea I made my mind up I'm just gonna keep the 306 and put TW STREET HEAT AND PROLLY A holly intake.. But I have a z303 and f303 cam really don't k I which 1 to get.. Any suggestion on the cam?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm no pro by any means, but from what I hear, the letter cams are sort of outdated.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Comp cams are always good. Dont forget to upgrade your gears too
Old 06-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I have 411 n the ***... I get terrible gas milage... I think I'm going to get 373 gears to b better
Old 06-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Letter cams are not outdated! Most of the 5.0 aftermarket heads have a 65% exhuast output making them ideal for single profile cams, this means using a "letter" cam that has the same lift and duration on both intake and exhuast sides. TFS heads feature a 65% exhuast output. Guess which kind of cam you should use for maximum efficiency?

I dont see how you clowns can say letter cams are outdated when there are plently of seasoned non profesional racers around the country that are runinng 8's in the 1/4 with them. Running a dual profile cam on a 5.0 without 80% exhuast output heads is like running 3inch open headers on a stock honda B20 4cyl engine, its dumb.

Ronn501 if you are searious about kicking every SBC guys *** that you come across and are willing to spend money on a 460 to do it then its time to get serious gear. Reach for a Hellion Turbo System instead of going to a 460, you will get alot more performance for your money. Turbos are the best power adder we can get. And guess what? Turbos like 65% exhuast output heads that you would use a "letter" cam on. Still think letter cams are outdated? They are old school at this point but theres a reason they are still for sale from every parts distributor, they do work. Also with a turbo you can switch to 3.27/3.31 gears with a stock cam or 3.55 gears with a B cam and your combination will eat people alive, simple, coslty and effective. Also remember with a turbo setup the larger your CID the faster the turbo will spool and the more torque it will build. So unless your using slicks with the turbo stay away from 331/342/347 strokers and just use a 308. Also switching to a automatic with a lock up torque converter if you dont have one will boost the turbo setups performance.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
Letter cams are not outdated! Most of the 5.0 aftermarket heads have a 65% exhuast output making them ideal for single profile cams, this means using a "letter" cam that has the same lift and duration on both intake and exhuast sides. TFS heads feature a 65% exhuast output. Guess which kind of cam you should use for maximum efficiency?

I dont see how you clowns can say letter cams are outdated when there are plently of seasoned non profesional racers around the country that are runinng 8's in the 1/4 with them. Running a dual profile cam on a 5.0 without 80% exhuast output heads is like running 3inch open headers on a stock honda B20 4cyl engine, its dumb.

Ronn501 if you are searious about kicking every SBC guys *** that you come across and are willing to spend money on a 460 to do it then its time to get serious gear. Reach for a Hellion Turbo System instead of going to a 460, you will get alot more performance for your money. Turbos are the best power adder we can get. And guess what? Turbos like 65% exhuast output heads that you would use a "letter" cam on. Still think letter cams are outdated? They are old school at this point but theres a reason they are still for sale from every parts distributor, they do work. Also with a turbo you can switch to 3.27/3.31 gears with a stock cam or 3.55 gears with a B cam and your combination will eat people alive, simple, coslty and effective. Also remember with a turbo setup the larger your CID the faster the turbo will spool and the more torque it will build. So unless your using slicks with the turbo stay away from 331/342/347 strokers and just use a 308. Also switching to a automatic with a lock up torque converter if you dont have one will boost the turbo setups performance.
My mistake. Just what I've heard. Sorry.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

No need to be sorry. Im not mad or anything or trying to bash you, trying to help you. Ive heard the same thing but Ive always been one to research and research and research. Bottom line is I found that 342+PortedGT40+Ecam+76mmTurbo+Lentech= 8 Second 1/4 Mile!
Yup that "outdated" Ecam can be used to run 8's..
So it would seem even the old letter cams are still good stuff if you use it on the proper engine.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Only problem is, a lentech transmission is by no means street able. I understand what your getting at with the letter cams and completely agree with the turbo suggestion.

To the OP,

Either way you chop it, your going to spend about 11 thousand to do it right ( with new parts )

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT