93 notch 5.4 swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
93 notch 5.4 swap

Got to looking for a notchback found one for good price. It's a 1993 notchback 4cyl I would like to swap it for an LS but they are more expensive. So I'm lookin for a 5.4 swap. I know twy say not to waste your time on a 2v 5.4 so few questions

1. Will a 5.4 for sure fit in it
2. Should I stay away from the 2v's
3. What all is needed for the swap? Mounts custom headers? Anything?
4. Any suspension needed? It's a 93 with 97k miles
5. Wiring?
6. What 5.4s come 3v or 4v I know the navis are
7. Heard about 98 cobra cams?

Anything else anyone knows about this swap help! On budget build. Not looking to have crazy power. No adders. Just direct swap later I can add power later down the road.

Thanks.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Or should I just get an old 5.0 and mod it. I don't want a 500 horse car just something that is has some get up. Any suggestions are wanted any motor anything. Just want to be keep the spending as low as I can.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

And transmission too need to know what trans to run with each motor.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

And rear end. Lol

Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I'd stick with the 5.0... Easy to make power out of, and a simpler install.
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was thinking. How much power can they handle. What should I get a 5:0 out of. Just a mustang or any thing that would be a better starting point.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
That's what I was thinking. How much power can they handle. What should I get a 5:0 out of. Just a mustang or any thing that would be a better starting point.
Are you on a budget?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah but I can spread this build over a period of time because I'll be in school so I won't have everyday to put a couple hours in. It'll have to be a weekend project so budget is low as can be but I can buy stuff periodically.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
That means its never going to get done... been there, done that doing it piecemeal... it gets to a point and then sits and then you sell it for half or less than what you put into it...

Also as to the 4cyl conversion, there are PLENTY of how-to threads online if you search and your best bet is to find a wrecked donor car. It isn't just the motor that needs swapped on the 4cyl either. You need a lot of other stuff and SHOULD be upgrading the transmission and rear AND suspension. Its honestly cheaper to just buy a GT if you want a GT.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow
That means its never going to get done... been there, done that doing it piecemeal... it gets to a point and then sits and then you sell it for half or less than what you put into it...

Also as to the 4cyl conversion, there are PLENTY of how-to threads online if you search and your best bet is to find a wrecked donor car. It isn't just the motor that needs swapped on the 4cyl either. You need a lot of other stuff and SHOULD be upgrading the transmission and rear AND suspension. Its honestly cheaper to just buy a GT if you want a GT.
Scottydeantknow you can do a weekend project if you keep working on it I don't make alot of money an work alot but am still getting my done an just got a rear main seal in my 99 tracker to over a weekend so if you have a good mind set then it can be done an you can run the 4 cyl suspension if you want for a bit I got 4cly spring in the front of my and getting 6cyls for the back me an my dad did this set up on his old gt40 set up on a 150shot an it worked really well on the track but drove like sh*t around hard corners but we didn't set it up for cornering you can try an use the 4cyl trans but it may blow in the first pass or it may last iv seen 4cyl trans work fine with a 5.0 for a long time but iv seen them blow on the first pass to and are you wanting to go mass air or carbed because if your going mas then you'll need a a9l or a9p ether one will work if your going standard but if your going auto then you'll need the a9p and don't forget about the wiring harness for the motor
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I understand but I have a big *** shed i can leave it there for a long time without ever needing to get rid of it. And i am aware i would have to do tranny and suspension upgrades and now that you said that i would rather start with a gt and work it up but i ifound a 4cyl notch for $900 lol so its a steal but i gt would be easier and less work i guess If nothing else i can get it anyway for $900 and just use it for whatever.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Really i dont know what i want lol. I kinda need suggestions. I just want something that can peels wheels when i want to lol
Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I found both 94-95 Mustang GT and 96-01 Ford Explorer 5.0 shortblock they have potential? Easy to build?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT