Looking at getting a 93, need advice. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #1

Region: Arizona
Looking at getting a 93, need advice.

Hey guys, college student here in the market for a 90-93 5.0 to use as a daily driver, and I need help finding out what I should be looking for.

My budget is around 10k, and I'm planning on getting something that either already has a well kept interior, or getting a beater and redoing the interior so that I have something nice to look at. Beyond that, I might throw a cobra kit on it and leave it at that for exterior mods. That'll be a few paychecks after I get the car, though.

I have a solid 25 minute drive to-and-from work every day (pure highway) so I need an engine that'll hold up. Should I be looking for something with low miles, something recently rebuilt, or something with high miles that I can rebuild? (my buddy is a mechanic and he'd help me out while I'm learning)

I might eventually get into some performance mods, but nothing huge since I'd prefer to keep the gas mileage as high as possible.

Here's an example car in my area. Anyone mind critiquing it so I can get an eye of what to look for?
Archduke_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have a 95 Gt with 93 k immaculate interior and near perfect outside. Im firm at 6000 look at my profile to see it
bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I have a 91GT. In my opinion a 91-93 is the way to go. Especially a GT. 93 is the last year of the foxes. Body panels and replacement parts for a fox are easy to get. I think a good strong engine and tranny and suspension shld be ur key to a good mustang. Starting in 91 the wheel wells where deeper and wider and compensates for wider tires if Thats ur thing. Also, I like the standard tranny's better. But again, everyone has their likes and dislikes. I do recommend test driving whatever it is ur looking for and keep in mind the 93 is the last of the foxbodies and regardless, foxes r the most sought after mustang on the market
mustangmania91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
couldn't disagree more with your last statement, fox mustangs are not the most sought after... more like the most common I would take basically any year mustang before 1970 or after 2000
eightlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The fox is the most highly sought after that's not really a debate lol
BlackStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Not debating, you are just wrong haha
Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Unless you really want a fox for 10k you could get a 96-98 cobra mustang or a 99-04 gt but there absolutely nothing wrong with the fox their easy to mod and super fun to drive I've owned one and wish I still owned it
Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No offense intended but do more research. The foxes r by far the best resale mustang on the market. Comparing them to mustangs prior to 1970 is like wiping ur butt b4 u poop......it just dont make sense. Anyway, mustangs b4 1970 have and always will have a great resale. But ive owned mustangs for the last 30 yrs and I can say with confidence get a foxbody. They r fun to drive and easy to work on. Starting in 1996 I believe they went to the 4.6litre. Im not a 4.6 fan. Have and always will enjoy the 5.0's
Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #9

Region: Arizona
Christ, I asked for some foxbody advice, I didn't ask whether I should get one or not. Anyone mind taking a crack at my questions so we can end this dumb arguing?
Archduke_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

According to ur post and all that u have written, u have already made up ur mind that u r getting a 93 foxbody. Me and 2 others gave u a advice. If its dumb advice, dont ask for any. Simple. My advice to u is as follows: test drive a few different years. But always test drive a 93 bc it is the last of the foxbodies. Foxbodies are fun to drive and easy to work on. Either way, a good drive train are key components. Paint/body work and or interior is further down the list of importance. But as I stated earlier, different people have diffw opinions
Old 06-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

.....also, u said u r a college student. So I stress again on the reliability of the drivetrain. Engine, tranny, suspension all important. High miles will generally always be a part of the foxbody. Mine had 123, 000 miles on it when I bought it. But runs tight and runs strong. Overhaul it later on. Always ask the previous owner about oil consumption. Very important. Mine has 135, 000 miles on it now and doesn't burn a drop of oil. Good sign. Also, a lot of foxbodies have whinny *** steering pumps. Common issue but not on all. Dont let that scare u away. Easy fix. Transmission, during test drive observe smooth shifting on automatics. Easy shifting on standards. Check for whinning or and grinding in manual transmissions too. Rear end differential gears: if it is a 5 speed while in 1st gear, engine shut off and emergency brake released, push on the rear of the car forward to see how much play u have(how far does the car move fwd then backwards). Again, a good looking fox is always awesome. A good sounding fox is too. Find out a lil history on the car. Has it been wrecked, used as a drag car etc. Do ur homework b4 u buy
Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed
Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

All this most sought after least sought after is all irrelevant the guy asked what he should be looking for for a DD My uncle a 92 LX 5.0 vert one of my all time favorite cars white/ red int. black top with the original 5 spoke rims that car would go 200k mi guaranteed. If it's a dd I recommend an auto so you don't have to worry about your clutch and rebuilt is the best cuz any you find that aren't I'm sure will have been dogged the hell out of. And find something with an interior you can build if you find a pristine interior they'll want too much for it. Foxes are amazing cars bro good luck on finding one
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Just letting ya know now, I bought a 91 gt cammed, ported and polished intake, dumps with flow master 40's or somtin.. The overdrive whent out in it, the overdrive bands in these cars are ****ty. If you do get a aod, make sure you have a professional mechanic to install you a new: a+ overdrive servo, overdrive drum and band. They where out easily..
5.oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If your still looking get a 91 to 87 they have forged pistons if it's the stock motor
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The forged pistons are nice if you plan on supercharging later, if its just a DD though, get the nicest fox you can find if a fox is what you want. From personal experience I'd never go back to a fox for a DD over a SN95/New Edge but that's another discussion.

Anyway If you want a fox and you are concerned about mileage you want a 5 spd that is as unmolested as possible. These cars can get over 20mpg highway easy.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Noob at Foxbodys but what was the highest trim for the 93 model?
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX
Noob at Foxbodys but what was the highest trim for the 93 model?
There's gt , cobra and cobra r you'll never see a cobra r for sale tho haha
Old 06-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I noticed. What's the difference from lx model and gt?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX
I noticed. What's the difference from lx model and gt?
The body kit that the gt has an the power options that the car has an the gt has fog light but is a little slower then the lx do to the gt having more weight then the lx because of the power windows an the body kit I have a lx if you look throw my pic you'll seen that what the difference between the two are
Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

The most sought after drag platform in recent history is the LX Notch. They are all of 3100lbs soaking wet. Better still if you can find one without the power windows and stuff although most serious drag racers just remove it all anyway.

Just use Google images and look up whatever it is you are looking for. In 93 there was the Cobra and Cobra R. Good luck ever finding an R and if you do it'll be a collector who probably will not even sell you the car if he/she suspects you are going to use it as a DD or keep it outside of a garage. Regular Cobras are easier to find and what I would be looking for if I ever get another fox. Besides that there are the LX notches, LX hatches and the GTs are all hatches IIRC. GTs are heavier due to the body kits and hatches are heavier than the notches due to the hatch itself and the HUGE glass pane the hatch has.

edit: And just read the whole thread... someone suggesting the fox is not the most sought after performance mustang... lololololololololololx10000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I see a lot of Foxbodys cobras around where I live. Never seen a gt or lx model for sale. I prefer the hatchback over the basic trunk looking model. After I'm done with my 98 gt I'll probably end up trying to find an 93 Foxbody.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Xslashdashx......this guy knows his sh**!. I completely agree with him. The lx hatch and notch backs r much lighter. Im a GT fan simply bc of the looks and still had the HO 5.0, damn good engine. I like the options on GT's way better. Also, 93 was the last of the foxes. I love my 91 GT but I still want a 93 Cobra. Simply a badass all the way around. Good luck in ur hunts and findings
Old 06-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmania91 View Post
Xslashdashx......this guy knows his sh**!. I completely agree with him. The lx hatch and notch backs r much lighter. Im a GT fan simply bc of the looks and still had the HO 5.0, damn good engine. I like the options on GT's way better. Also, 93 was the last of the foxes. I love my 91 GT but I still want a 93 Cobra. Simply a badass all the way around. Good luck in ur hunts and findings
Thanks man.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
I see a lot of Foxbodys fobras around where I live. Never seen a gt or lx model for sale. I prefer the hatchback over the basic trunk looking model. After I'm done with my 98 gt I'll probably end up trying to find an 93 Foxbody.
Fixt. There are not a lot of Foxbody Cobras rolling around anywhere.

Also, not sure why you want a 93 so bad, the trick with foxes is finding one that is straight and true and minimal rust/corrosion. 87-93, whatever you can find in really good shape or even the 4 eyes. A 4 eye can take a 87-90/91-93 interior no problem and the body parts all swap too. I kind of like the 4 eyes better than the 87-93 foxes actually especially with a real nice front air dam and smoked headlights. 87/88 T-top cars are also really cool.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a 2004 cobra for sale
540i6e39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT