Help i scratched my car!! Haze after compound - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
94gtconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ny
Region: New York
Posts: 753
Help i scratched my car!! Haze after compound

So long story short the tent over my car scratched my bumper. I was able to compound it out but it's a black car and the compound left a hazeing spot on my bumper. I tryed to wax the spot away to no avail but then again the only wax I have on hand is mothers clean and shine witch is watery s**t. Anyway I am not rubbing paint off the car when I rub it with a cloth so the clear coat I still there, what kind of wax/polish can I buy to get it back to its factory shine. Pleas help!!
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
94gtconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ny
Region: New York
Posts: 753
Help!!! Please
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Four Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Athol
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 208
What kind of rubbing compound did you use? Number 1 or Number 2?
__________________
1986 GT with the typical poor boy mods. 3.73s, Hurst short throw, King Cobra Clutch with aluminum quadrant, lowered two inches on Eibach springs, Hopefully adding some heads and a decent intake soon!
Four Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
94gtconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ny
Region: New York
Posts: 753
This stuff, today I went out and bought some meguiars gold class carnauba plus paste wax and it seems to have taken care of the hazeing but there are lots of microscopic scratches in the clear coat I can do nothing about. It seems to be a fair trade off considering the compound heir the scratch out, but I went over board an decided to take care of a scratch on the front. Needless to say I messed up paint in the tint a little. The paint went from a white burn mark to little scratches though. So the new wax was worth it i guess. I am still willing to buy more products if anyone car recommend a scratch remover, for the damage done by the cheap compound. Never use compound on newer cars the cler coat is to fragile. My stang is not the car I use it on its my newer car so I'm still a little mad. Just greatful that the burn/haze us gone!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4259424544.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	115067   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2046952203.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	115069  

94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Four Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Athol
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
This stuff, today I went out and bought some meguiars gold class carnauba plus paste wax and it seems to have taken care of the hazeing but there are lots of microscopic scratches in the clear coat I can do nothing about. It seems to be a fair trade off considering the compound heir the scratch out, but I went over board an decided to take care of a scratch on the front. Needless to say I messed up paint in the tint a little. The paint went from a white burn mark to little scratches though. So the new wax was worth it i guess. I am still willing to buy more products if anyone car recommend a scratch remover, for the damage done by the cheap compound. Never use compound on newer cars the cler coat is to fragile. My stang is not the car I use it on its my newer car so I'm still a little mad. Just greatful that the burn/haze us gone!!
Not entirely true. A good compound is great for any paint. Buy a cheap compound, and you'll have the problems that you did. Go out and buy some 3M rubbing compound, it comes in a purple bottle. There is number one, and number two. Number one will get the scratches out of the paint, and number two gives it a very high gloss, polished look. Expensive? Not terribly, but you get what you pay for. Also be sure to use a very fine fiber cloth. Don't just use any old dish rag. The store you get the rubbing compound from will have the correct rags\pads. I think with the combination of these two products, you'll be very satisfied. Look for them at Carquest, CAP, or any reputable auto parts store. Hope this helps.
__________________
1986 GT with the typical poor boy mods. 3.73s, Hurst short throw, King Cobra Clutch with aluminum quadrant, lowered two inches on Eibach springs, Hopefully adding some heads and a decent intake soon!
Four Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
540i6e39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento
Region: California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Eyes View Post

Not entirely true. A good compound is great for any paint. Buy a cheap compound, and you'll have the problems that you did. Go out and buy some 3M rubbing compound, it comes in a purple bottle. There is number one, and number two. Number one will get the scratches out of the paint, and number two gives it a very high gloss, polished look. Expensive? Not terribly, but you get what you pay for. Also be sure to use a very fine fiber cloth. Don't just use any old dish rag. The store you get the rubbing compound from will have the correct rags\pads. I think with the combination of these two products, you'll be very satisfied. Look for them at Carquest, CAP, or any reputable auto parts store. Hope this helps.
Great info^
540i6e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular
 
Ubnbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tazewell
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 3,532
He's dead on it. The imperial hand glaze from Carquest will probably bring the shine back out. I didn't read really close to anything other than his post. Just remember if u r trying to do by hand what a buffer can do at high speeds, it can take some serious rubbing.
__________________
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Four Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Athol
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 208
Funny you actually started this thread.. I let my girlfriend help me wax my 5.0 today.. Before I could give her a rag, she's out there using a dishrag... Oh boy. Like you said, left a bunch of little scratches, but with a good pad, they all came out.

With a good compound and rag, old paint can look great again. This is the original paint from 1986. Not bad for almost 30 year old paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-620054504.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	896.1 KB
ID:	115173
__________________
1986 GT with the typical poor boy mods. 3.73s, Hurst short throw, King Cobra Clutch with aluminum quadrant, lowered two inches on Eibach springs, Hopefully adding some heads and a decent intake soon!
Four Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
540i6e39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento
Region: California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Eyes View Post
Funny you actually started this thread.. I let my girlfriend help me wax my 5.0 today.. Before I could give her a rag, she's out there using a dishrag... Oh boy. Like you said, left a bunch of little scratches, but with a good pad, they all came out.

With a good compound and rag, old paint can look great again. This is the original paint from 1986. Not bad for almost 30 year old paint.
Wow looks great!
540i6e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Four Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Athol
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 208
Thanks man!
__________________
1986 GT with the typical poor boy mods. 3.73s, Hurst short throw, King Cobra Clutch with aluminum quadrant, lowered two inches on Eibach springs, Hopefully adding some heads and a decent intake soon!
Four Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
94gtconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ny
Region: New York
Posts: 753
Thanks
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:45 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.