Might get super lucky - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Might get super lucky

If and when I hear from the court... Depending in the ruling, this may happen.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...e-3485c3e77ca6

If anybody sees anything that I added twice or messed up on, please reply to thread.

Also, if you had 20k dollars EARMARKED for restoration of your current car and only your current car ( you can't spend half and pocket the rest ) how would you spend it.

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You should buy an '03/04 cobra!!!

I'm about to sign on a settlement agreement and that's the first thing I'm going to buy...I thought about building my '86 up and have a nice wish list for latemodel but I'm gonna forget that and get a clean modded terminator
86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I can't though, it has to be for my car and not with the intent to sell later...

It either goes on the fox and the fox stays in my possession, or I don't get anything at all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I see...in that case, you should get a dart based stroker long block from woody at fordstrokers.com (which by the way are the absolute best on the market from what I've heard) and then buy all your supporting fuel mods and interior pieces from Latemodel!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Holy **** $20k to do a fox no money out of your pocket?

-Make sure frame is totally straight/true
-Take care of all rust
-Paint
-Restore interior
-408 stroker from fordstrokers
-Driveline of your choice
-Suspension/sticky tires/all the supporting mods duh
-Good dyno tune

You might even be over $20k at that point who knows, I don't know what kind of shape your car is in to start with.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Scotty is right...that about sums up exactly what you should do!
When I was planning on building my fox, I wanted either a 363 or 408 from fordstrokers and a trickflow top end kit, Vortech YS, Lethal Performance 1300hp fuel kit, T-56 with stiffler's trans cross member,McLeod twin disk clutch, LRS 5 lug cobra conversion and Saleen wheels, new interior, and body work and paint....came out to about $20/22 thousand!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So why no love for the 427?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

A 427 is an excellent displacement choice but I wouldn't go with a Ford Racing engine for anything! Everything on your list is exactly what I would chose except the motor and clutch and diff cover...
I bought a ford racing cover and it looks nice but after I bought mine I found cheaper covers that are designed the exact same...drake make one and I think trickflow and they're a lot cheaper
Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What's wrong with a crate engine from them?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

As for the engine, Ford Racing is just a name that produces thousands of engines and slaps them together just like a Ford plant that provides every motor for the mustang...if you research all the problems that FoMoCo has with production engines you'd source out to a performance engine builder.... Don't get me wrong, I bleed ford blue but if I'm going to have a big power engine, it's not going to be assembled by a bunch of union workers that hate their job!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The guys who build the production engines are different from the guys at ford racing...

I remember seeing a video from all the production they did... Pretty good stuff

Old 06-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not knocking your choice by any means, and I'm sure they build a good motor but from the research I've done, you can't beat fordstrokers...period! If I was in your situation, I'd at least give woody a call and he'll let you know what would be the best option for your intended use!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are going to buy a big cube motor, get one from Woody at Fordstrokers /discussion. Not sure why you'd want a prepackaged crate motor vs an engine built by one of the best guys in the business to your exact specs but w/e... The 427 is good too but the 408 or even the 418 is better IMO. Less sidewall loading, longer life, the extra few cubes aren't really going to do anything crazy when a mild 408 will make 500whp without even breaking a sweat.

For the driveline... all depends on what you want to do with it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

And I'm not degrading them, I'm looking into everything... I will look into them

Old 06-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just FYI, they are probably not going to be the cheapest. You also get what you pay for. Are the Ford Racing crate motors going to use the best heads/custom cam/intake combo or are they just going to slap X heads, a letter cam and a GT40 intake onto it and say "408 stroker!"?

Old 06-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well look at that motor, just a long block no intake, it's a decent cam and look like decent heads... It doesn't have to be some nasty motor, just something that'll make 500.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol, those are X heads and are in no way in a snowball's chance and hell "decent" for anything more than a 302. I just looked at the specs on that motor and the price and... I'm trying to be nice here... if you buy that motor over this you're a goddam moron.

Even that one I linked to is using AFR 185s which are a bit small for a 408 but going to 205s will not be very much more. Even if you just went with the cookie cutter 408 from Woody it's still going to assrape that FRPP motor.

Violently

Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Lol, those are X heads and are in no way in a snowball's chance and hell "decent" for anything more than a 302. I just looked at the specs on that motor and the price and... I'm trying to be nice here... if you buy that motor over this you're a goddam moron.

Even that one I linked to is using AFR 185s which are a bit small for a 408 but going to 205s will not be very much more. Even if you just went with the cookie cutter 408 from Woody it's still going to assrape that FRPP motor.

Violently
Lol
540i6e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I left a message with his secretary or whoever takes the calls... It's up to him to decide if he thinks I'm serious

Old 06-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

you can email him directly too or PM user "strokeme" on the corral to get in touch with him. He has a ridiculously big amount of orders and its only him and another master mechanic who build these motors. Worth the wait tho.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Still nothing from those guys...

Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

From Fordstrokers? Try again, its sometimes tough to get ahold of them, if you send one email and that's it then it might get lost in the shuffle. That shop has a huge number of orders to fill and the owner will not hire anyone else to build the motors besides him and another mechanic for quality control. Some ppl wait 4 months for engines but they are super nice.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. You seem to be a satisfied customer or have seen his work personally. I'll keep trying then, but I want a 427, not a 408...

Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Seen it personally which was what convinced me to go with him and I was in touch with him on a build before I got out of pushrods. Having a kid and getting deployed and life and all... Anyway very knowledgeable guy and he can do a 427 no problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT