convertible - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
convertible

Will a 91 mustang gt top fit on a 88 gt??? Need to know guy selling his brand new for 75 cash I can't pass it up!!!!!
88GHOSTFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GHOSTFOX View Post
Will a 91 mustang gt top fit on a 88 gt??? Need to know guy selling his brand new for 75 cash I can't pass it up!!!!!
As far as I can tell body style is the same from 85-93 you shouldn't have a problem fitting that top in your car.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Yes it will fit. I would suggest having a professional do it. If u do it yourself I would at keast suggest buying a howto dvd from lrs.
88stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Plenty of ppl do stuff like that themselves. Never had a vert but I hear the top is a complete ***** to change. If you have the tools and the time, learn to do it yourself. You'll learn something new and not pay some mechanic $500 or whatever they'll charge you to do it.

I learned to do upholstery myself last summer from research and going slow/following directions. Saved a good chunk of $$ that way.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I did my top myself. It is doabke for sure. It consists of about 500 staples, 10-12 hours of times, and lots of 4 letter words. im gonna say for a first timer it would be impossible to do it without the 2 hour long how to dvd. The instructions that came with mine were 1 paragraph long. And there are certain things you need to know that just aren't in them.

But op, if u decide to do it I will have lots of pointers for ya..
88stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88stanger View Post
I did my top myself. It is doabke for sure. It consists of about 500 staples, 10-12 hours of times, and lots of 4 letter words. im gonna say for a first timer it would be impossible to do it without the 2 hour long how to dvd. The instructions that came with mine were 1 paragraph long. And there are certain things you need to know that just aren't in them.

But op, if u decide to do it I will have lots of pointers for ya..
Pretty much the same amount of time I put into doing my upholstery and I watched all the youtube videos of the TMI upholstery dudes working that I could, read the directions 20 times and yeah it came out great. But you are totally correct that there is stuff you have to kind of figure out yourself. I still say its better learning something and having the satisfaction of doing it yourself. 10-12 hours is working from noon to dinner time on Saturday/Sunday and you have your nice new top on for free vs paying some shop to do it and then having them call you and say "we're having trouble it'll be done tomorrow" etc... and then still have to pay the labor.

Oh yeah I used just about every 4 letter word I know when doing that upholstery, I even reversed some and would like to think I invented some new ones but I'm not that naive to think that some other person with a vulgar vocabulary had not thought of them before in the 100s of years of the English language...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT