89 5 speed stock 5.0 backfire - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #1

Region: New York
89 5 speed stock 5.0 backfire

Hey wassup jus need some input on my car. When I purchased it a month ago it was doing the same issue. Everytime I accelerate like faster than usual my car I guess backfires from what seems to me the exhaust. It doesn't do it when I jus have it running and I rev it. It only does it when I accelerate harder than usual like going up a hill or passing another car. It does it on any gear too. I have changed the egr, maf, iac, cap an rotor new sparks and wires and oil fuel and air filter. The car was sitting in a garage for the past 7yrs before I bought it and like I said when I took it for a test drive it was doing this sputtering. Tomorrow I am gonna check the plug wires to make sure they are on in correct order cause when I changed them I did jus follow the way the old ones were. Lastly the car has the smog pump still on it with the belt running on its pulley but the hose that runs from it to the back of the head was broken so I jus eliminated it and bought some head plugs from late model to put on the head where this hose should be going. Again the car is stock and it's a 5 speed. Sry for the long story jus want to get this issue resolved cause I know I'm losing HP and has mileage.
The Black Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Sounds like it could be running to rich. Check your t-stat and coolant temp. Sensor.
havhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by havhammer View Post
Sounds like it could be running to rich. Check your t-stat and coolant temp. Sensor.
I already changed the thermostat so I'm going to change that sensor. Hopefully that's it thx for your input brother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Stang

I already changed the thermostat so I'm going to change that sensor. Hopefully that's it thx for your input brother.
Have you looked to see what the fuel pressure is at and looked to see what the timing set at thats where I would start after you make sure the wires are in the right spots lol
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I had this happen 3 times on 2 mustangs and a half ton f-150. Lmao. First time scared the $h!t out of me. Then I drove around town like that until my shop teacher said take off the smog pump and all that junk associated with it and plug the heads. Did just that and it never did it again. After that the other two vehicles were just an afternoon of effing around with all that "junk".

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Think he said it was plugged cat converter.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #6

Found out my issue is my fuel pump. Question now is should I upgrade straight to a 200+ lph pump cause I am planning on upgrading my injectors sometime next yr or should I jus go with something smaller like a 110lph?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT