Hey guys, just really looking for opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Hey guys, just really looking for opinions

I got this 92 notchback and I bought a World Man-O-War block for it, really don't know what to do with it, money is a little tight but I was hopin to build it this winter. Turbo, juice or just all motor? Shoot me your thoughts, it's standard and I'm really looking to make some serious power, I realize that takes money lol thanks for any input gents
BleedinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I would go all motor because forced induction gets to be expensive quickly, and nos is good when you have it( not to mention what happens when you forget it in the trunk on a hot day lol! Boooom). All motor is expensive as well but it's power that's alway there and for the most part more reliable. I don't know to much about the block you have but good luck with it and this is just my opinion so just take it to consideration.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
The cheapest route would be nitrous. Well cheapest in the short run. After a while filling the bittles become a pita. I like the all motor method also. These little sbf's love head jobs.. you can easiky get over 100-125 hp with the right heads and supporting mods.

This is ultimately your decision. You need to wiegh your goals and budget and go from there..
88stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #4

Thanks guys
Old 07-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Serious power isnt that specific boss, a hp and torque range would be helpful. I would say buy a decent head, intake, and cam setup.Then when you save up enough money again and purchase a supercharger down the road. A low boost level with be pretty reliable especially if you build up that block before hand.
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
Serious power isnt that specific boss, a hp and torque range would be helpful. I would say buy a decent head, intake, and cam setup.Then when you save up enough money again and purchase a supercharger down the road. A low boost level with be pretty reliable especially if you build up that block before hand.
I'd really like to see 650, you think a supercharger is better then a turbo set up?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
All the mentioned opinions r good opinions. Mine is all motor. A good set of heads, cam and intake set up is a really good strong engine. Plenty of hp and reliable. Nothing wrong with superchargers and nitrous but they are and can be costly. Not to kention they r hell on an engine in general. If u r wanting something to drag race I wld go with a nitrous/super charger set up. But if its gonna be ur daily driver go all motor. Again, just my opinion
mustangmania91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmania91 View Post
All the mentioned opinions r good opinions. Mine is all motor. A good set of heads, cam and intake set up is a really good strong engine. Plenty of hp and reliable. Nothing wrong with superchargers and nitrous but they are and can be costly. Not to kention they r hell on an engine in general. If u r wanting something to drag race I wld go with a nitrous/super charger set up. But if its gonna be ur daily driver go all motor. Again, just my opinion
I doubt ill ever be going to a track there's a thew car shows around where I live and from there you can guess what ill be doin with the car lol you think a turbo or a supercharger isn't practical for a daily driver? Even if the motor is build around those kind outters?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post

I'd really like to see 650, you think a supercharger is better then a turbo set up?
Stroke it to a 347, build that and put some boost to it. Take your time building it, couple year if you have too. It will be well worth the wait..
Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene View Post

Stroke it to a 347, build that and put some boost to it. Take your time building it, couple year if you have too. It will be well worth the wait..
Would it just be more smart to Build a 347 for cost effective? I was looking into a 363
Old 07-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:

Would it just be more smart to Build a 347 for cost effective? I was looking into a 363
Im assuming you have a 302 block? If so 363 is to far to go and past manufacturers recommendations. Even 347s dont live as long as 331s but still worth building.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88stanger View Post

Im assuming you have a 302 block? If so 363 is to far to go and past manufacturers recommendations. Even 347s dont live as long as 331s but still worth building.
I've got a World Man-o-war block, I'm honestly not sure how far I can go over I gotta look at the specs on it, it's a 9.2 deck. Just the bare block costed me 1500 bucks, but it's good for 1200hps so they claim.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:

I've got a World Man-o-war block, I'm honestly not sure how far I can go over I gotta look at the specs on it, it's a 9.2 deck. Just the bare block costed me 1500 bucks, but it's good for 1200hps so they claim.
Its still probably a 302 based block right? I wonder if its knotched and machined already for stroker kits?
Old 07-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #14

Quote:

Its still probably a 302 based block right? I wonder if its knotched and machined already for stroker kits?
Oh yah it's still a 302 block just way more meat in it to bore it out. It hasn't been touched as far as bore or stroke
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:

Oh yah it's still a 302 block just way more meat in it to bore it out. It hasn't been touched as far as bore or stroke
My point is its still the same 302 geometry. So stroke wise you are still gonna have poor connecting rod angles which are what makes the bigger strokers not last as long. So I still wouldnt get to crazy. Just imo though..
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

I would like to have an engine block like that. Can handle a lot of boost with good internals. Go with 78mm Turbonetic, 15 pounds of boost and tune the engine to 750 horses.
Lapida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapida View Post

I would like to have an engine block like that. Can handle a lot of boost with good internals. Go with 78mm Turbonetic, 15 pounds of boost and tune the engine to 750 horses.
What kinda heads would you use? And Bore?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Why do you want sooo much power for a car that will never see the track?...that aside, I agree with most of the others, go all motor. Supercharger is ok for street, but what good is it gonna do in 100 degree 20-30 min commutes to work with a/c, traffic, and stop lights? Same for the NOS, what would you do with that in traffic? This assumes a lot about how you would be driving, but hopefully I'm giving you a diff perspective with some stuff to think about.
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Ppl drive huge power cars around town/in traffic all the time. A supercharger/turbocharger in 100 degree heat and traffic will be just fine with a good cooling system.

For a Man O War block...

.030 over, 331 stroker, fully forged, turbo or centrifugal supercharger with aftercooler, AFR 205s, custom blower cam, Edelbrock RPM II intake, stiffen the HELL out of that chassis, do all the suspension, fats/skinnies for tires, build the rear and drop in a built/shifted/stalled automatic to get the power to the wheels. My vote would be a build 4R trans with either a standalone controller or get a manual valve body.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ppl drive huge power cars around town/in traffic all the time. A supercharger/turbocharger in 100 degree heat and traffic will be just fine with a good cooling system.

For a Man O War block...

.030 over, 331 stroker, fully forged, turbo or centrifugal supercharger with aftercooler, AFR 205s, custom blower cam, Edelbrock RPM II intake, stiffen the HELL out of that chassis, do all the suspension, fats/skinnies for tires, build the rear and drop in a built/shifted/stalled automatic to get the power to the wheels. My vote would be a build 4R trans with either a standalone controller or get a manual valve body.
+1 this guy knows his ****.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #21

Quote:

For a Man O War block...

Jesus man thanks for the knowledge, only problem is she's stick, and I bought the car because of that lol with that kinda power would you go to auto?

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Syke View Post
Why do you want sooo much power for a car that will never see the track?...that aside, I agree with most of the others, go all motor. Supercharger is ok for street, but what good is it gonna do in 100 degree 20-30 min commutes to work with a/c, traffic, and stop lights? Same for the NOS, what would you do with that in traffic? This assumes a lot about how you would be driving, but hopefully I'm giving you a diff perspective with some stuff to think about.
I just wanna be one of the quickest cars in town, that's all lol I hate losing.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

No sir. Not saying a super harged or turbo charged mustang isnt a good idea for a daily driver. Only saying that as my opinion. To me a good supercharged stang is the only way to go. But as a daily driver I like an all original 302 with modest upgrades. Not to mention gas mileage is good
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
No sir. Not saying a super harged or turbo charged mustang isnt a good idea for a daily driver. Only saying that as my opinion. To me a good supercharged stang is the only way to go. But as a daily driver I like an all original 302 with modest upgrades. Not to mention gas mileage is good
Not to many people buy foxes for mpgs. But yeah u can make some good n/a power though. If your not going all out I would hust throw a top end kit on it and call it a day. With some good suspenion work, tfs top end kit , and gears you have a low 12 swcond street car all day long
Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Jesus man thanks for the knowledge, only problem is she's stick, and I bought the car because of that lol with that kinda power would you go to auto?

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

I just wanna be one of the quickest cars in town, that's all lol I hate losing.
IMO, and from what I've seen, you should really be looking at going to automatic at the 600whp range especially if you are a straight line car. Its fun to bang gears in a stick and initially with bone stock cars the sticks are faster but at bigger levels with built transmissions an automatic with the same mods as you will skull **** you in a straight line race. Its easy to convert though and a built 4R/AODE can take up to 1000whp. An AOD can do more but they don't have lock up converters which is not so much of an issue.

Here is a nice article to read about swapping a big power stick car to an auto and most serious drag/straight line cars are all automatics.

As far as being the fastest in town... someone will ALWAYS be faster.

Quote:
Not to many people buy foxes for mpgs. But yeah u can make some good n/a power though. If your not going all out I would hust throw a top end kit on it and call it a day. With some good suspenion work, tfs top end kit , and gears you have a low 12 swcond street car all day long
Hell a built NA stroker can do WAY faster than 12s...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:

IMO, and from what I've seen, you should really be looking at going to automatic at the 600whp range especially if you are a straight line car. Its fun to bang gears in a stick and initially with bone stock cars the sticks are faster but at bigger levels with built transmissions an automatic with the same mods as you will skull **** you in a straight line race. Its easy to convert though and a built 4R/AODE can take up to 1000whp. An AOD can do more but they don't have lock up converters which is not so much of an issue.

Here is a nice article to read about swapping a big power stick car to an auto and most serious drag/straight line cars are all automatics.

As far as being the fastest in town... someone will ALWAYS be faster.

Hell a built NA stroker can do WAY faster than 12s...
Yes it can. I got the impression hes trying to be tough in the street. Not building a 8 second outlaw. The car you are trying to get him to build is like 10-15 k. Were what im giving him is about 5k. It all deoends on his budget my friend
Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

He wants to try to be king of the street... he's going to need to spend $15k-$20k.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #27

Quote:
He wants to try to be king of the street... he's going to need to spend $15k-$20k.
Yah I'm gonna build it this winter, I knew initially when I bough the car and the block I was going to be into some money for what I want, I really appreciate all the help guys, hopefully have this thing done by next summer. Ill be postin pics as I go along
Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly what I would do if you are going to have a builder do it is get ahold of Woody at FordStrokers.com 331-347-408-418-427 Custom Built Small Block Ford Engines and tell him what you want. If you are DIY you can get a rotating kit from him as well and a completely spec'd out set of heads/cam/intake for what you want to do.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

True enough 88Stanger. I didnt buy mine for mpg either but if its a daily driver u wanna get what u can out of it. Beings he said he was gonna build one to street race basically then yea mpg's mean nothing. Of course if he is gonna spend 10-15k on his set up them definitely mpg's mean drops in a bucket for him. So 'more power' to his build and good luck bro. Keep us all posted on ur build
Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I like power adders myself!!! If you want to make a good amount of power with a 302 a na is usually gonna be all strung out my buddy went all motor and I went s/c lets just say we make around the same power and his drivability was sacrificed my combo is only potent when I hit that throttle otherwise 5th just cruising!!!
Durnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The way I see it power adder cars are better daily drivers by far. I can just put aroun off boost. Look at racing now especially mustangs are dominate by power adder classes jmo
Old 07-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnstang View Post
I like power adders myself!!! If you want to make a good amount of power with a 302 a na is usually gonna be all strung out my buddy went all motor and I went s/c lets just say we make around the same power and his drivability was sacrificed my combo is only potent when I hit that throttle otherwise 5th just cruising!!!
Agreed, I honestly laugh now when I see ppl putting forged rotating assemblies into stock blocks and doing all the craziness to them. Dudes will say that a well built 347 will do 400whp+ easy and they are right. So will a basic JY Explorer motor with a S trim and it'll cost $thousands less not to mention you get better driveability, better mpg and honestly the Exploder motor with the S-trim will make MORE power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnstang View Post
The way I see it power adder cars are better daily drivers by far. I can just put aroun off boost. Look at racing now especially mustangs are dominate by power adder classes jmo
They're better period in pretty much every aspect except off idle balls shattering power that a big 351 based stroker or big block will provide. Then again, a positive displacement blower setup on a Modular is into full spool and ridiculous torque numbers in the mid 2k RPM range soooo...

I dunno, as an example you can have a boosted car and roll around the street on a 500whp tune and beat up on pretty much anything you'll ever come across. If you DO need more power or on track day you just kick up the tune to max 93 octane power and then you also have a race gas tune on top of all that. With the street tune and the right setup you'll tool around town in your 500-600whp whip getting 20+mpg, air conditioning on, bone *** stock driveability with the right cam(s) etc...

I posted a combo I think would be good earlier in the thread and also a link to Fordstrokers. BleedinBlue, if you are not going to build the motor yourself, or even if you are I highly, HIGHLY suggest you get ahold of Woody who owns Fordstrokers and at least buy your parts from him if you aren't going to have someone build your motor for you. He'll spec you out a combo that will work very well. For a 600+whp combo you're going to want to throw a turbo at it or a big centrifugal like a Vortech YSI with an aftercooler (yay for aftercoolers on foxes).

Old 07-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Agreed, I honestly laugh now when I see ppl putting forged rotating assemblies into stock blocks and doing all the craziness to them. Dudes will say that a well built 347 will do 400whp+ easy and they are right. So will a basic JY Explorer motor with a S trim and it'll cost $thousands less not to mention you get better driveability, better mpg and honestly the Exploder motor with the S-trim will make MORE power.

They're better period in pretty much every aspect except off idle balls shattering power that a big 351 based stroker or big block will provide. Then again, a positive displacement blower setup on a Modular is into full spool and ridiculous torque numbers in the mid 2k RPM range soooo...

I dunno, as an example you can have a boosted car and roll around the street on a 500whp tune and beat up on pretty much anything you'll ever come across. If you DO need more power or on track day you just kick up the tune to max 93 octane power and then you also have a race gas tune on top of all that. With the street tune and the right setup you'll tool around town in your 500-600whp whip getting 20+mpg, air conditioning on, bone *** stock driveability with the right cam(s) etc...

I posted a combo I think would be good earlier in the thread and also a link to Fordstrokers. BleedinBlue, if you are not going to build the motor yourself, or even if you are I highly, HIGHLY suggest you get ahold of Woody who owns Fordstrokers and at least buy your parts from him if you aren't going to have someone build your motor for you. He'll spec you out a combo that will work very well. For a 600+whp combo you're going to want to throw a turbo at it or a big centrifugal like a Vortech YSI with an aftercooler (yay for aftercoolers on foxes).
This is the answer I had in my head but was too lazy to type it lol well put⬆⬆

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT