95 302 problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
95 302 problems

Friend has a 95 GT with a 302. It shows to run past normal on the temp gauge and pings almost all of the time. All of the cooling system has been replaced and it is even running with no thermostat and still pings. It has also had the distributor, crank sensor replaced as well. A Ford dealer has even looked at it and hasn't come up with what the problem might be. Any help would be appreciated.
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
Why is it running without a thermostat when it has a new cooling system?
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
slow281
Regular
Supporter
 
sixpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post
Friend has a 95 GT with a 302. It shows to run past normal on the temp gauge and pings almost all of the time. All of the cooling system has been replaced and it is even running with no thermostat and still pings. It has also had the distributor, crank sensor replaced as well. A Ford dealer has even looked at it and hasn't come up with what the problem might be. Any help would be appreciated.
Timing needs adjusted..
__________________
Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty View Post
Why is it running without a thermostat when it has a new cooling system?
It's still pinging and running hotter than it should on the gauge. It has a new radiator water pump and has been flushed and has had three different thermostats in it. Removing was a rest to see if it cooled down which it did but not enough to elongate the ping

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

Timing needs adjusted..
Ting has been set and verified three times since the new distributor was installed
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
86 muscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 264
Put a thermostat in it. Check the heater core, make it isnt plugged. Are we sure its a ping and not a knock? Valve train could be loose, you could be running bad gas as well. I also think you need to check timing. Set it at factory spec for while you are doing this. Make sure you also have the proper firing order.
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 muscle View Post
Put a thermostat in it. Check the heater core, make it isnt plugged. Are we sure its a ping and not a knock? Valve train could be loose, you could be running bad gas as well. I also think you need to check timing. Set it at factory spec for while you are doing this. Make sure you also have the proper firing order.
We've done all that. And yes it's a ping
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
is your cooling fan turning on?!
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post
is your cooling fan turning on?!
Yea
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
are you sure none of the radiator hoses are clogged?
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Are there any indications that it may have a blown head gasket?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
351stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Pas, Mb
Region: Canada
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Are there any indications that it may have a blown head gasket?
Blown head gasket could cause ping cause its wetting down the cylinder. Smell exhaust see if it smells sweet or one side showing white smoke.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,606
What you describe sounds very much like a blown HG. Is your oil milky looking or anything? Definitely check the exhaust like was already mentioned. Are you sure your belt is routed properly around the water pump pulley and that you have the correct rotation water pump?
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
bnoist114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: olin
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 39
Its probably the HG, but bypass your heater core to make sure that's not it, an check your gauge too. The ping could be a different problem an not related to your cooling system
bnoist114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jar72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany
Region: Georgia
Posts: 127
Have the same car and had similar problem. I used a radiator coolant flush twice nasty stuff came out of the block. That helped a lot. The ping I had was fixed by timing adjust and running 91 octane. Only pings now under hard acceleration if the A/C is on. You can all use a mechanics stethascope to find the location or area of the ping. Wouldn't trust the temp guage. My indicator bar actually fell off
__________________
JMF
Jar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar72 View Post
Have the same car and had similar problem. I used a radiator coolant flush twice nasty stuff came out of the block. That helped a lot. The ping I had was fixed by timing adjust and running 91 octane. Only pings now under hard acceleration if the A/C is on. You can all use a mechanics stethascope to find the location or area of the ping. Wouldn't trust the temp guage. My indicator bar actually fell off
Something is still wrong with it if it pings at all.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jar72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany
Region: Georgia
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Something is still wrong with it if it pings at all.
Just found out a minute ago I need bigger Injectors and Maf upgrade
__________________
JMF
Jar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
sean5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 306
That might help we'll try it
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar72 View Post
Just found out a minute ago I need bigger Injectors and Maf upgrade
What is leading you to that conclusion? Because if you don't have anything major done to your car the stock 19s are fine. You might need NEW injectors after all this time though. You'd be amazed at what they'll look like at this age. When I pulled the original injectors out of my 95 back in 2007 they were literally falling apart.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jar72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany
Region: Georgia
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

What is leading you to that conclusion? Because if you don't have anything major done to your car the stock 19s are fine. You might need NEW injectors after all this time though. You'd be amazed at what they'll look like at this age. When I pulled the original injectors out of my 95 back in 2007 they were literally falling apart.
Scotty can you possibly carry this over to a post I made its listed as. Injectors? Or look it up under my profile. Thanks.
__________________
JMF
Jar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:25 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.