Cam - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Cam

I have a 91 gt, bought it for 4000 flat. It has flowmaster dumps, Ported and polished intake and a mild cam... I was wondering if there is anyway to tell what type of cam is in it without taking the whole engine apart.. So then I can further my options on heads and more upgrades.
5.oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.oh View Post
I have a 91 gt, bought it for 4000 flat. It has flowmaster dumps, Ported and polished intake and a mild cam... I was wondering if there is anyway to tell what type of cam is in it without taking the whole engine apart.. So then I can further my options on heads and more upgrades.
There's always a guessing game, your best bet is to , pull your valve covers , rocker arms, push rods and lifters out then pull the cam and see , that's what I would do, if you have some knowledge of the 302 motor

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post

There's always a guessing game, your best bet is to , pull your valve covers , rocker arms, push rods and lifters out then pull the cam and see , that's what I would do, if you have some knowledge of the 302 motor
Also your water pump and timing cover , and replace the water pump and all the gaskets while your at it!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Kool thanks guys. Not to much knowledge yet, just getting use to it.. Can't be to hard! Just time full. Is there anyway to tell by listening to the muffler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
With thousands of grinds out there? lol. The only way to tell for sure is to take the cam out and look for a number or get the cam spec'd out by a shop. I personally would not worry about it at all unless you are looking to swap the stock cam back in which honestly might make the car perform better if the heads are still stock. Stock heads are best with the stock GT cam.

If you are doing the heads then just pull the cam out when you do the heads and see if its got a part number. If it does, great, if you can't tell just toss it and pay $100 for a used TFS1 cam in good shape on the Corral.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks Scotty! I appreciate it man.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Dang if I was gonna go through all that trouble to find it I would've had another set of cams to go in it lol
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon
Dang if I was gonna go through all that trouble to find it I would've had another set of cams to go in it lol
Haha hope your not buying (cams) or your just throwing money away haha
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not buying anything. Just wanted to know cause I want to get the sct tuner chip.. That is after I get new rear shocks. Just wanted to know the easiest way to find out what cam

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT