HELP!!! Belt ride the edge of my pulley again? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
HELP!!! Belt ride the edge of my pulley again?

So I took the car out today and notice a clicking sound again so I opened the hood and revved the engine and saw that my new belt is riding the edge of the power steering pulley (new pump and new pulley) again....... Also new tensioner and new idler

I notice my smog pump delete pulley has a wobble to it when I spin it freely, i dont know it thats the issue when the car is under load ... I'm stumped

I'm going to order a belt for without smog and AC and the length is 82 inches and the closest belt I could find is on Jegs, its a Gates belt that is 80 3/8 inches is this good or to short ? If this isn't the prob the only other thing I can think of is could I have pressed the pulley to far on the pump ?
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
So I took the car out today and notice a clicking sound again so I opened the hood and revved the engine and saw that my new belt is riding the edge of the power steering pulley (new pump and new pulley) again....... Also new tensioner and new idler

I notice my smog pump delete pulley has a wobble to it when I spin it freely, i dont know it thats the issue when the car is under load ... I'm stumped

I'm going to order a belt for without smog and AC and the length is 82 inches and the closest belt I could find is on Jegs, its a Gates belt that is 80 3/8 inches is this good or to short ? If this isn't the prob the only other thing I can think of is could I have pressed the pulley to far on the pump ?
Without smog and AC it's 82 inches now with the tensioner can I go 1.5 inches short to 80.5 I found summit has a gatorBack belt that's 80.5 or 81.25?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Your pulleys probably are not aligned correctly. Check them to make sure, and check that wobble, that too is a problem. If I remember right you've been having this problem for some time. I think it's your pulley alignments.
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Syke View Post
Your pulleys probably are not aligned correctly. Check them to make sure, and check that wobble, that too is a problem. If I remember right you've been having this problem for some time. I think it's your pulley alignments.

Yes it's driving me crazy!!!!

Now could I have pressed the power steering pulley to far? If I backed the pulley off 1/16th of a inch it'll be align
Old 07-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I think I found my issue. Never had this problem before I pulled the motor. So, motor was pulled and swapped with newer motor, HCI, everything new everything , when putting the new power steering pump on I think we over pressed the pulley onto the shaft of the PS pump, so the distance the back of the pulley was from the bracket was .146 of a inch which I used my digital Caliper and that was about how much of the belt was hanging over the front of the pulley, so using my pulley puller I pulled the pulley forward .03 of a inch and brought the pulley away from the bracket .176 of a inch .

Started car up, revved it, took it around the block , got on It hard trying to pop the belt off and everything seems fixed !!!!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Good job, yes it is possible to put a pulley on too far.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

As u mentioned
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT