Question about auto transmissions. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Question about auto transmissions.

Being a standard driver primarily, I'm not too familiar with upgrades to auto trans. I've driven a couple cars with a forward/reverse manual valvebody, but none with a stall or shift kit.

Is a shift kit worth putting in with a 26ish stall? Or is a shift kit better than a stall? Or what would both together be like?
Any info is greatly appreciated. I've asked some hot rod buddies and the only answers they've given is stalls are awesome and shift kits are great... nothing too in depth lol
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Well I've got a buddy of mine with a dodge dart swinger. It's a 340 smallblock with a torqueflite 727 Trans. He has a shift kit with a 2700 stall, and I can tell you right now that car is way funner to drive than any stick shift. 3 gears of rubber all day.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Eyes View Post
Well I've got a buddy of mine with a dodge dart swinger. It's a 340 smallblock with a torqueflite 727 Trans. He has a shift kit with a 2700 stall, and I can tell you right now that car is way funner to drive than any stick shift. 3 gears of rubber all day.
Mind. Made. Lol

I'm looking at a 94 gt to replace my 95 v6 that was just totalled. The trans in it slips if you hit the gas too hard so ill need to swap the trans out anyway.. I figured id look into a stall and shift kit instead of doing a 5 speed swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you want an auto I'd look for a 99-04. WAY better transmissions, you can do a near free valve body mod called the J-Mod that works better than a shift kit and yeah a good aftermarket stall will make the car go like a raped ape. In a straight line a properly setup automatic will eat up 5 spd cars all day. Really the only advantage of a stick is the absolute control (even more than with a MVB) and for dudes who go through the twisties.

Also the ULTIMATE factory automatic is a 2004 Mach 1. Machs had the fastest shifting computers of any car prior to 2005 and they can keep up with even cars in the 9 second range. Automatic computers in the SN/Edge cars can't shift fast enough for big power cars before they bounce off the limiter but the Mach computers can.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you want an auto I'd look for a 99-04. WAY better transmissions, you can do a near free valve body mod called the J-Mod that works better than a shift kit and yeah a good aftermarket stall will make the car go like a raped ape. In a straight line a properly setup automatic will eat up 5 spd cars all day. Really the only advantage of a stick is the absolute control (even more than with a MVB) and for dudes who go through the twisties.

Also the ULTIMATE factory automatic is a 2004 Mach 1. Machs had the fastest shifting computers of any car prior to 2005 and they can keep up with even cars in the 9 second range. Automatic computers in the SN/Edge cars can't shift fast enough for big power cars before they bounce off the limiter but the Mach computers can.
Right on. The reason I'm even considering an automatic is I found a realllyyy good deal on a 94 gt that'll need a trans and id rather just do a upgrade to the auto than a 5 speed swap, my knees messed up from a sports injury so a 5 speed starts to hurt by the end of the week anyhow.

I wouldn't mind a new edge gt, but with a gt id rather a 95-earlier, I'm not sold on the 4.6's, just not a fan of them really. I prefer the workability of a pushrod motor.

If everything goes well with the 94 gt ill be looking at other options for a trans.

Anyone know the models or a good year range for a direct bolt in swap trans for a 94 gt? I know the factory trans weren't real reliable.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Factory trans is the only direct bolt in. You could always get a built aode from lentech or someone.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Factory trans is the only direct bolt in. You could always get a built aode from lentech or someone.
I mean like a older aod, c3/c4, or the 470rw(I think that's the code)
Old 07-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok here's a quickie rundown:

AOD will bolt up but will require a MVB
AODE is what is stock and will bolt right up
4R70w is the updated AODE but you need to use one from a V6 97.5-04 since the v6 and the 5.0 share the same bolt pattern. 4r70w also will need a MVB or a controller.

For a controller, the Baumanator is the most used one and the best person to have dial it in is Lidio at Alternative Auto. If you want a manual valve body you should take a look at Silverfox valve bodies. For a nice aftermarket stall P.I. (precision industries) is the best one to go with but it's gonna cost $1100 new... For a budget option that is supposed to be just as good (word on the street) look up Freakshow Performance which is a small up and coming shop in Texas. $400 for a single disc up to 400whp, $600 for a triple disc good for whatever you want basically. He does 2 year warranties for the triple disc, think for the single disc too.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok here's a quickie rundown:

AOD will bolt up but will require a MVB
AODE is what is stock and will bolt right up
4R70w is the updated AODE but you need to use one from a V6 97.5-04 since the v6 and the 5.0 share the same bolt pattern. 4r70w also will need a MVB or a controller.

For a controller, the Baumanator is the most used one and the best person to have dial it in is Lidio at Alternative Auto. If you want a manual valve body you should take a look at Silverfox valve bodies. For a nice aftermarket stall P.I. (precision industries) is the best one to go with but it's gonna cost $1100 new... For a budget option that is supposed to be just as good (word on the street) look up Freakshow Performance which is a small up and coming shop in Texas. $400 for a single disc up to 400whp, $600 for a triple disc good for whatever you want basically. He does 2 year warranties for the triple disc, think for the single disc too.
Ok, so ill prolly go with a aode swap, and harvest the manual parts from my 95 and have them on stand by to do a 5 speed conversion when I blow the second auto trans.

I priced some stuff out last night and I found a aode from a 94 gt with 96xxx miles with a good oem torque converter for $100 obo. I willl prolly get that and a b&m or transgo shift kit.

Also, a quick question about converters, are they universal at all? Like I found a 2400 stall for a aod I think from a 5.0 for 150 bucks, but I don't know with them what will bolt where and the size differences... auto trans are a new ball game to me man
Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't end up getting the 94 gt, I found a 95 gt that was already built and needed little things closer to me however. So I loaded my wrecked v6 up on the trailer and traded it and $1100 cash for my 95 gt.

Just replaced a few things on the gt today, and more to come later this week.

The build list that I know of on this thing is:
347 stroker
600 lift cam
Aftermarket dizzy and ignition
P/P heads and intake
Fluidyne 4 core radiator
Shorty headers
Freshly rebuilt aode trans with manual valvebody
locker rear end with 3.73 gears

Supposedly its been tuned, but I don't think it has, if it was, whoever tuned it need not touch another v8.. its not tuned right for s&*t lol so that'll be next
Old 07-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
the 94 and 95 5.0s have trouble handling mods as well as the pre 94 ECMs
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
Anything that can be done about it?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Not if your tuner knows what he is doing. My J4J1 computer was tuned by Craig Radovich at Radical Racing in Atco, NJ and it ran like a raped ape. Now, playing Devil's advocate, when the car was just a bolt on car I used a 1st generation PIH harness to swap in a A9L and it felt like a COMPLETELY different car. This was prior to any dyno tunes being done though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
Anything that can be done about it?
Well with a 347 you should have a custom tune burnt anyway, if not get one.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not if your tuner knows what he is doing. My J4J1 computer was tuned by Craig Radovich at Radical Racing in Atco, NJ and it ran like a raped ape. Now, playing Devil's advocate, when the car was just a bolt on car I used a 1st generation PIH harness to swap in a A9L and it felt like a COMPLETELY different car. This was prior to any dyno tunes being done though.

That's what I'm saying, the pre 94 ECMs can handle a LOT of upgrades with no tune, the 94/95 ones not so much
Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

is there a handheld tuner or is it a actual custom ecu made?
I've gotta get at the dude I bought the car from and at the very least get the cam card so I know exactly what cam it is.. he said 600 lift but that doesn't really narrow it down
Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

SCT 4-Bank Mustang Eliminator Chip w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (94-98 GT) 6600||38023||38000 - Free Shipping!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I was actually just looking at that, I'm going to call americanmuscle later this week and find out if it will work with the things that are done to my engine.

I need to verify the cam and a couple other things before I order the chip
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It'll work but you may also want to look at a AFM PMS. It's a sticky here posted by someone whose never on anymore ( Trojan horse ) and it seems to work wonders.

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
It'll work but you may also want to look at a AFM PMS. It's a sticky here posted by someone whose never on anymore ( Trojan horse ) and it seems to work wonders.
Or if you want to talk to Trojan directly, I can put you in touch. He and a lot of other senior members aren't welcome on the forum and started their own
Old 07-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Or if you want to talk to Trojan directly, I can put you in touch. He and a lot of other senior members aren't welcome on the forum and started their own
yeah man, that'd be great.

I'm gonna get the maf and prolly some o2 sensors Thursday, from what were seeing that should take care of a lot of the small issues.

After that ill definately need a tune. If not now, I will for sure when I swap the heads and intake.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I would like very much to be in there presence again...

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:33 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
mustang evolution
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT