Need engine advice! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Need engine advice!

As most of you know, I have an 86 Gt. And as most of you ALSO know, the 86 5.0 has flat top pistons. I've been wanting more power recently, and I'm limited to the heads I can use on my car because of PTV clearance. So I need some opinions.

Option one: get a used 5.0 out of an 87-93, clean it up, and put the trickflow top end kit on it. Probably run me around 3000 bucks give or take.

Or option two: get a 351, and do something with that. But what do I do with it? I don't know much about them.

I'm getting out of college in about 6 months, and I should have the money to build a decent motor. I'm not looking for anything stupid fast, but a respectable 350hp+ motor. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

OR I could have my pistons flycut for valve reliefs? All advice is heard!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Anything?
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Bump to help four eyes!
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Do a stroker setup?
jsampson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Eyes
Anything?
I'd get a set of 87 to 91 there forged 92 is to but they swapped out about half way throw the year and that's only if you don't think it'll need bored but if it's got high kms then I'd bore it .30 and get a set of aftermarket pistons an if you want just about 350hp then you don't really need forged pistons a set of hyper pistons will work fine for that trick flow kit and with all the supporting mods you'll see a hair over 300rwhp and that will put you around 360fwhp if your run a mass air car I don't know anything really about SD cars but if you think you'll go forced induction then get the forged pistons just to be safe and if your going over 475 to 500rwhp then do a 351w or a aftermarket blocks alot stronger then the stock 302 block lol

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

If you just need a hone I got a set of 89 forged pistons in good shape they'll need cleaned up....carbon lol but just pm me an will talk if you wanna go that route
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
How much money is a respectable amount? You aren't only looking at a motor, you're looking at a fuel system, driveline mods, suspension and any bolt ons you don't have. What all is done to your current car and what is the timeline/budget. Is this your DD that can't be down for very long? More details plz.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
How much money is a respectable amount? You aren't only looking at a motor, you're looking at a fuel system, driveline mods, suspension and any bolt ons you don't have. What all is done to your current car and what is the timeline/budget. Is this your DD that can't be down for very long? More details plz.
Driveline:
Stock t5
King cobra clutch
Adjustable clutch quadrant
New u-joints
3.73 gears
Looking at an aluminum drive shaft soon.

Suspension:
Lowered
Control arms upper and lower
New shocks, struts, quad shocks

As in bolt ons, what exactly do you mean by that.

How does this sound:

MY stock 302 block, only because I know most of the history of the car, and I've taken care of it. And then get the pistons in my car cut for valve releifs by a machine shop. They get the TF Top end kit, with 24lb injectors. At the same time, convert to MAF.

Again I'm not looking for anything with 500 horsepower, but 300 to the wheels would be great.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yes if you think you might wanna go forced then spend the money on a nice short block!!! I can't stress that enough. If you're happy with the 300whp area which is a lot of headache free fun then just do a nice head cam intake setup! That stock 302 can handle that all day
Durnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnstang View Post
Yes if you think you might wanna go forced then spend the money on a nice short block!!! I can't stress that enough. If you're happy with the 300whp area which is a lot of headache free fun then just do a nice head cam intake setup! That stock 302 can handle that all day
Yeah I'm not going forced any time soon! I have the subaru for that!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT